Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Top 10 Mistakes

I just came across this and thought you might find this interesting:

The 10 Most Common Mistakes WLS Patients Make Vitamins, supplements, or Minerals

2nd Mistake: Assuming You Have Been Cured of Your Obesity

3rd Mistake: Drinking with Meals

4th Mistake: Not Eating Right

5th Mistake: Not Drinking Enough Water

6th Mistake: Grazing

7th Mistake: Not Exercising Regularly

8th Mistake: Eating the Wrong Carbs (or Eating Too Much)

9th Mistake: Going Back to Drinking Soda (soft drink)

10th Mistake: Drinking Excessive Alcohol

For anyone wanting to read the mistakes in full detail; the National (America) Association for Weight Loss Surgery website address. The 10 Most Common Mistakes Weight Loss Surgery Patients Make

I know I've been guilty of some of these from time to time. I think I need to print this out! :thumbup:

Very helpful reminder - thanks!

The urge to snack is when I know I need a fill.

I posted this just over a year ago, and I SOOOOO needed to look at this again. Since reaching my goal, I have become guilty of the first six things on this list. And now it's time for me to fess up and face the music. I am really struggling lately, especially since my surgery in October. I thought that the LB would be the saving grace, and it has been in so many ways. I've changed my eating habits tremendously. But what I haven't changed is my addiction to food in general. I can't stop thinking of it -- all day. When can I eat again? What can I eat? How much can I eat? Will anyone notice that I'm taking seconds, thirds... fourths?

Is anyone else struggling with this? I need some help! :(

I've changed my eating habits tremendously. But what I haven't changed is my addiction to food in general. I can't stop thinking of it -- all day. When can I eat again? What can I eat? How much can I eat? Will anyone notice that I'm taking seconds, thirds... fourths?

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, Ann, but I had problems when they changed this site and I haven't been back until today. I am having the exact same obsessive food issues as you posted! I put on about 10 lbs over Christmas and New Years. I take a few pounds off, and then put them back on again. I'm obsessive with chocolate and chips - easy foods for me, and I have absolutely NO control once I start eating them. I am so upset with myself - I feel like I'm back to yo-yo dieting! I just re-read this list you posted re: "Top 10 Mistakes WLS.." I'm going to print it out and be more aware of my actions. I looked back on what I was doing while I was successfully losing the 100 lbs, and what I am no longer doing. I definitely let exercise slide over the holidays. I met my goal last year of running in a 5 mile mud run, and I thought I could continue motivating myself and exercising without formal goals - I was wrong. So, I recently rejoined the group of ladies I was running with, and now we have a new goal of participating in a mini-Triathalon in the fall. That has given me the motivation I need to start exercising more regularly again. My Surgeon provides weekly support group meetings that I attend regularly, and that helps, too, but I am still VERY challenged with choosing the right foods, and not obsessing over food. My Surgeon has a nutritional Physchologist on staff that started a new 1-year program (meetings once a month) called 'Between Starving and Stuffed' that is really helpful in becoming aware of and dealing with your food issues without eating through your problems. I wish this class was every week! I kept hearing about a 'Honeymoon Period' through the 1st 18 months, where losing and maintaining were fairly easy, and then 'real life' would sneak back in. Well, I think for me the honeymoon's over! Thank God I've developed several healthy habits along the way that I think will help me avoid total relapse, and I continue to have a wonderful support base. I just have a few trouble spots that I need to work through, and I need to get back to what worked for me over the past year. While I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling, too, it is helpful to know I am not alone! We've both come SO FAR, and I'm sure we both have it in us to maintain our healthier lifestyles with the help of this great tool. Best of luck to all of our 'Mayo Banditos' in our 2nd year and beyond! :D

I posted this just over a year ago, and I SOOOOO needed to look at this again. Since reaching my goal, I have become guilty of the first six things on this list. And now it's time for me to fess up and face the music. I am really struggling lately, especially since my surgery in October. I thought that the LB would be the saving grace, and it has been in so many ways. I've changed my eating habits tremendously. But what I haven't changed is my addiction to food in general. I can't stop thinking of it -- all day. When can I eat again? What can I eat? How much can I eat? Will anyone notice that I'm taking seconds, thirds... fourths?

I suffer with binge eating disorder. I unfortunately didnt really think to start taking care of my relationship with food prior to banding (thus I lost almost 80 pounds initially, and then gained back almost 50 by bingeing...and yes, if you're addicted to food, it is REALLY easy to binge with the band...just think milkshakes). My BED is a daily struggle. I started seeing a therapist that specializes in eating disorders and has an entire clinic dedicated to just treating patients with Binge Eating Disorder. As I said, I struggle every minute of everyday with BED, but seeing an eating disorder therapist has helped a lot. My advice would be to seek out an eating disorder therapist or an Overeaters Anonymous meeting (OA isn't for me, but I know it has helped many many people struggling with compulsive eating). Good luck - you're not alone!!

I just came across this and thought you might find this interesting:

The 10 Most Common Mistakes WLS Patients Make

1st Mistake: Not Taking Vitamins, supplements, or Minerals

2nd Mistake: Assuming You Have Been Cured of Your Obesity

3rd Mistake: Drinking with Meals

4th Mistake: Not Eating Right

5th Mistake: Not Drinking Enough Water

6th Mistake: Grazing

7th Mistake: Not Exercising Regularly

8th Mistake: Eating the Wrong Carbs (or Eating Too Much)

9th Mistake: Going Back to Drinking Soda (soft drink)

10th Mistake: Drinking Excessive Alcohol

For anyone wanting to read the mistakes in full detail; the National (America) Association for Weight Loss Surgery website address. The 10 Most Common Mistakes Weight Loss Surgery Patients Make

I know I've been guilty of some of these from time to time. I think I need to print this out! :thumbup:

I didn't think I was ever going to be able to post again after the changes. The site would not accept my info. even though I looked it up a what I was entering was correct. After trying to sign up as a new user, It finally took my old info. What are they doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Anyway glad to be back. Since my last fill in Nov. I have been losing again. Still about 20 lbs from goal weight but that''s ok. Little by little is fine with me.

It was great to see that folks are still posting after so long. I know I still need the support. The last two weeks I have not been eating as well as i should. Once I start, it can go downhill fast.. i have to be careful.

At this point, how much I can eat is controled by the band. I just have to make the correct choices.

Take care

Thanks, everyone, for the responses! I am glad for any help/support that is out there! I am still struggling. I just had another surgery 3 weeks ago, and I know now that I am very depressed. It started with the last surgery in October, and compounded with this latest surgery. I believe that I too suffer from binge eating disorder. Mamadot, I could have written your post! However, I don't have weekly support groups. That is wonderful. I have been faithfully seeing my therapist, who is a certified addictions counselor, and that helps. I almost went back for a fill last month, but then I got really sick with a flu bug and didn't get around to rescheduling. I am now confused as to whether I should get a fill or not. On the one hand, I am definitely able to eat more than before, but on the other hand, I am not making the best choices. I need to get a grip on things! I am still holding true to my no sugar/no white carbs, but there are so many yummy sugar-free things (esp. ice cream and pudding) out there that I keep bingeing on. One thing that has totally gone out the window for me is no drinking with meals. That was a very hard thing for me all along, and I find myself sipping all through a meal now. :(

I think you were right, Mamadot, about the honeymoon period. I think I need to go on a second honeymoon! LOL

Hang in there. We can keep it off!

Ann

Another one who misses the honeymoon period. <sigh>

But I'm determined not to squander what I have achieved, and to continue on the path toward goal with or without a honeymoon.

So I'm rededicating myself. The list, posted so long ago, is a good reminder. Over time, some of those things ebb away so I'm going back to the roots of the program.