Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

something isn't right....

i went out to dinner with my son and his auntie saturday night and fainted...when i felt a little better i went home...i called the hospital and talked to the nurse to tell her what had happened...i took my blood pressure when i got home...my mom has high blood pressure and constantly has to take her blood pressure...it was 102/54...the nurse told me that was normal for my weight and height....and not to come in if i felt fine....yesterday i was still really dizzy...my mom said my blood sugar was probably low...so i drank a cup of orange juice and it went up to 126-74...2day i'm at work but still feeling really dizzy and out of it...i'm going to try and c my doctor 2-day...i've never been a sweet eater...is lack of sugar in my diet causing low blood-sugar...am i not eating enuff????? i eat tons of protein...so thats not the problem...what i'm doing wrong??????

Am I reading that your blood pressure went up after you drank orange juice? If so, you could have a problem with dehydration. Also, 102/54 is fairly low and you will feel the effects if you typically have a higher BP.

As for sugar, not sure but, the only way to find out is by having it checked out. I would certainly get in for a check up to see what the problem might be.

i'm thinking dehydration as well....i fainted after my Tummy Tuck and i was dehydrated...i know i stay well dehydrated during the week...but on the weekends i totally fall of track....even with eating.

Did you experience any ringing in the ears or loud grinding sound just before you fainted? When I passed out a couple of weeks ago from dehydration this is what happened to me.

Either way, you should still get a doctor check up to be on the safe side. Doctor should check all your labs.

i heard a swooshing sound...almost like i put a shell up to my ear...i'm going to see my dr. at 3:30....she is actually my lap band surgeon's wife...they work out of the same office....the fainting scares me...especially when i have my son with me...

The sound is normal whatever causes you to faint. I have fainted many times in the past and generally it was preceeded by the strange noise.

I would be concerned about the BP as it does sound very low. "Normal" is approx 120/80.

Apart from low Bp or low blood sugar it could also be something like anaemia so get the Dr to check out your Iron levels as well. You could have some kind of mild infection which you are not aware of or it could be a ton of other things.

Glad you are seeing your Dr quickly. Let us know what the outcome is.

elcee u hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!! my Iron level is exetremely low and i was dehydrated...i'm feeling better today....my doctor told me to ease up on the exercise...which to be completely honest with everyone i don't think i well....and not to lose anymore weight...my bmi is 23....she said to stay right there...

Low bp can be a sign of dehydration.. are you getting enough fluids?

I have fainted a few times due to dehydration. Its easy to do when you are busy, workout a lot, etc. I'm glad you got it figured out. Its scary when it happens, but at least it is a simple fix. I don't have my band yet, but I know its gonna take some adjustment w/how I drink Water and exercise. Right now I drink two 16 oz bottles of water while I am doing 1 hour of Jazzercise. Obviously, I'm not gonna be able to gulp it all down during the exercise after lapband. So, I'm gonna have to make an extra effort to get more water in before and after.

Glad to hear that you are okay! :( Be sure to keep drinking that Water. :thumbup: We can't having you fainting on us all the time.

Glad it was something relatively simple. How are they going to fix your low Iron levels. Do they want you to do it by eating more red meat or will you be getting injections? I had issues with my iron levels a number of years back and had to have a course of iron injections. Not fun but sometimes more effective than trying to fix it with diet.

I was talking to my trainer the other night (doing boot camp at the moment) and he expressed alarm at what I eat v the training I do. He said my metabolism must be shot for me not to be 40lb underweight.

I dont necessarily agree, I think that eating 1800 calories a day or so is quite normal for a lot of women but his point was how much exericse I do and he couldnt figure how I can sustain it on so few calories.

Truth is, I still get quite strong cravings for sugar and carbs - and its nothing more than the fact that I really ought to get Fluid out of my band and just eat more decent food in total. I am not managing to meet my calorie and nutrition needs on good health foods and need to resort to slider foods to get them in. So really, w whislt my band is not too tight, its probably too tight for where I'm at.

Could you say the same at all?

Its very very hard to come to terms with normal eating and not eating to lose weight. Its probably the hardest part of my personal journey. I'm way too afraid of gaining to have an unfill.

And of course, if we're not fuelling our activities, them dehydration, lack of Iron, general lack of nourishment can become a problem.

Also, that blood pressure sounds very low, that's not normal. it would be why you fainted, but the trick is to work out why it dropped that low.

I was talking to my trainer the other night (doing boot camp at the moment) and he expressed alarm at what I eat v the training I do. He said my metabolism must be shot for me not to be 40lb underweight.

I dont necessarily agree, I think that eating 1800 calories a day or so is quite normal for a lot of women but his point was how much exericse I do and he couldnt figure how I can sustain it on so few calories.

Truth is, I still get quite strong cravings for sugar and carbs - and its nothing more than the fact that I really ought to get Fluid out of my band and just eat more decent food in total. I am not managing to meet my calorie and nutrition needs on good health foods and need to resort to slider foods to get them in. So really, w whislt my band is not too tight, its probably too tight for where I'm at.

Could you say the same at all? i can definitely say the same...honestly i don't think i even take in 1800 calories...i told my dr. yesterday i have ZERO appetitie...its not bcuz i'm trying to lose more weight...i have no interest in food...i basically force feed myself...bcuz i know i need the fuel to keep exercising...my dr. called me with my lab results...i have severe anemia (spelling)...my Iron is serverly low and my thyroid is a mess...she upp'd my thyroid med from 2500 to 5000...and told me i may lose weight...last night she told me not to lose anymore weight...i like this dr. bcuz she is my band surgeons wife and doesnt blame everything on the band like other doctors i've been too...its not the bands fault...its my own...my husband and i had a serious disscussion on how to balance all this out...i will NOT stop the exercise...i absolutely refuse...i will not get an un-fill...i'm scared to death of that idea...i will take in more calories...to be honest jachnut i dont think i take in over 1200 and i work off between 800-1000...i now see the damage im doing...light-headed...my hair looks like crap...weak...tired...i'm an inspiration to so many...yet im putting my health 2nd and my will to be thin 1st...i don't want to sound ignorant...just honest...i don't want to be fat ever again...i need to take control back again from my weight...and figure out how to take in more calories and stay healthy...i was thinking about getting my calories out of juices...i do not like sweets...and i have not totally cut carbs from my eating habits...i refuse to go all out and eat pure junk...i'm confused right now

You'll get there, it just takes some headwork. It is REALLY hard to learn to be a thin person - losing weight is the easy part. I am still afraid of food as something that could control me and I havent quite mastered the art and belief in myself that i can eat normally. That I dont need to be constantly avoiding food, resticting it etc.

I eat a big Breakfast and them I feel guilty - and like you I am force feeding myself food that I dont really want.

juices sound like a good idea and of course, Protein shakes. Much as I hate the things, they do offer good nutrition when you have limited stomach space. Remembering to eat something like a yogurt between meals.

I set out certain foods I know I need each day - two pieces of fruit, a yogurt and a small serve of nuts. I set them out in the morning and they MUST be eaten on top of what I choose for meals. I have to regiment it like this or I just graze all day as I dont like eating a full meal at any one time.

I'm actually looking forward to returning to full time work next year, teaching gives me a routine that must be followed and i eat a lot better than when I'm at home.

This just takes time, you can get your health back up there.

I know you don't want to cut back on your exercise, but please keep in mind that exercise lowers blood sugar. My daughter is a Type 1 diabetic and they highly encourage exercise for that simple fact. However, if you are already a little hypoglycemic all that added exercise may be pushing you over the edge. Try drinking a small juice box or sucking on some glucose tabs before exercise to give you a little boost. Exercise can lower your sugar up to 12 hours later. I know you are an avid exercise fan and I'd hate to see you have to give it up. Just be careful because low blood sugar (assuming that's what it is) can be very dangerous.