Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Advice!!!

Hi everyone!

I've been banded for about 8 months and am down around 65-70 pounds (woo!).

Anyway, up until now, my job allowed me to wear either a t-shirt or polo shirt, and jeans (very laid back!). I just got a new job and I need to be wearing some... nicer things!

Think khakis and sweaters or button up shirts, etc. I'm not a fan of dresses (I'm still kind of uncomfortable with my weight), so that rules out a lot.

I buy my jeans from Lane Bryant but their dress pants do not fit me very well... and their tops just aren't overly work-friendly... too flashy for me.

I've found a few tops I like at CJ Banks but I don't know of any other stores that carry plus-sized clothing! I'm still a solid 22/24 in tops (thank you gut).

Any suggestions? I've found a few tops I like online but really would prefer to try things on in a store to make sure they fit well.

Any help would be greatly, greeeeatly appreciated!!

I had really good luck at Kohl's in finding items to fit well and get me through at reasonable prices. There are plenty of places like JC Penny's or Kauffmans as well.

You may also want to bring a friend along who has good taste in clothes to help make suggestions. I don't know how it is for you, but for me I don't see myself the same as I see other people.

I have gone shopping with friends or my husband a couple of times and bought things I never would have thought to try out on my own . . . but now absolutely love because they are flattering and look good on me.

Sometimes after a big weight loss you need a little help choosing because clothing at larger weights tends to be either overly matronly or flashy and it is hard to make that adjustment. Also sometimes we started off dressing to conceal which is a different matter than dressing to flatter.

Good luck and happy shopping :0)

hi do you have a store in your area that,s call avenue,or go online @avenue clothing.com. another is Aj wright clothing store.it seems that i am hooked everytime i go out i have to buy something. goodluck .i know you are gonna look nice.

Walmart does have plus size and is not to expensive which will be helpful because you will need to but clothes often as you lose more and more weight.

Unless you are LOADED, you really can't afford to replace your wardrobe very often. I highly recommend consignment shops, and Goodwill. For new stuff, if I catch a sale I can get really good deals at Dress Barn. I actually recommend getting a Dress Barn credit card because that's the only way you get their sale ads and COUPONS. Belk's has a really good women's department but try everything on because a couple of the lines run small. Kohl's is good.

Online, look at Woman Within, Jessica London and my fave, Silhouettes. prices are all over the place, but sign up for the emails and you'll get some awesome deals that way.

I went through this very situation about 6 months after being banded. I went from wearing scrubs to an office environment. The best store for me was Cato. It has a lot of clothes that are business casual and the prices are really good. I don't think I have paid over $21 per item. I started out with NOTHING. I bought a pair of black pants, gray pants, khakis and brown pants and then bought about 6 tops that I could mix and match. I also told everyone I worked with that until I reach my goal weight they will see me wearing alot of the same thing, so they were understanding. Good luck!!

In addition to the above, you might consider Black Friday, since it's coming up. I plan to hit Macy's for some insulated pants since this is going to be a colder winter than I'm used to. That is, *I* will be colder :confused:

Further, some weight loss forums have set up clothing exchanges. I have no experience with them, but you might investigate those.

I shop at Kohl's (also work there as a second job), Avenue, Fashion Bugg. Sometimes Wal-Mart if I find something I like.

Fasion Bug! They usually have pretty good sales and coupons! If you hit the season right you can get a bunch of stuff off of the clearance racks as well. I spent $60 back in August and got a bathing suit, 4 tank tops, a t-shirt and a work shirt.

If that doesn't work, there's always the Salvation Army.

I had the same problem, and i got tired of spending money on clothes and only get to wear them a short time. While i am transitioning, thrift stores are the brst.. I have bought so much from there, for my home as well. I have gotten so many compliments and it all cost so little. You will really be surprised

t-rose

I'm not sure if you have a Target in your area, but I've had pretty good luck there. I just recently got a bunch of $25 - $30 shirts there on clearance for about $5 each. But, their selection tends to vary a lot from store to store. Also, try everything on because some of it runs really small.

I whole heartedly agree with the thrift store approach, especially while you are still losing. I bought a lot of stuff from Blair catalogs, but finally decided to try the local thrift store. One of the first things I bought was a pair of Anne Taylor Loft jeans that looked like they had never been worn! Full thrift store price was something like $6.99 but they were having a 50% off sale so I got them for $3.50. I love them and wear them all the time. I have gotten some casual tops and shorts for summer. The store near me has tons of jeans, and they sell dressier stuff too. Definitely try that. This way size transitioning won't take you broke.

oldnavy.com

also try goodwill, or other shops like that

Hi:

While transitioning from 26/28 down to sizes 12 and 14 I discovered Salvation Army Thrift Store and Savers. It gave me something to do that was cheap and entertaining. I could spend $20 and get alot of stuff. I started buying things there in my current size and also my goal size. I had alot of size 12's and 14's by the time I got to goal and most of these items cost less than $5 each. They just require washing or dry cleaning. You'll be surprised at the things that you can find in these stores and they are priced amazingly low.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue