Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Famous Bandsters?

No resentment here either, but a healthy dose of cynicism, I just wouldnt be at all surprised if someone like Kirstey Alley was banded but still was Jenny Craig's spokesperson. Her career's pretty much dried up and she obviously wants to resurrect it so it would be good publicity.

But does anyone seriously think anyone in the movie industry would have enough morals to think that maybe that's dishonest? No way! They're all nutters, out for themselves and no amount of money is enough. I dont believe she'd knock back an endorsement deal with Jenny Craig just because of a tiny detail like a lap band, lol.

And would anyone believe for a minute that Anna Nicole Smith would have a conscience about something like that?

The only thing that semi annoys me about it if it were true is that it misleads people to thinking massive weight loss like that is possible and maintainable when statistics show that it isnt.

Speaking of Kirstey, what ever happened to that new show she was suppose to have on, did she lose the weight while doing that or after. Heck I need to get out of this cave, I didn't realize she'd lost a lot of weight.

I can believe Anna Nicole lost with Trim Spa. I lost 80 lbs in about 6 months with Metabolife pre-kids. Of course, as soon as you stop taking it, you gain it all back. Now my metabolism is so screwed up that nothing works--except the band.

i have no problem with celebs wanting to keep their lapband a secret - i do have a problem with them lying and endorsing other things as the secret of their weight loss - and making millions think they can do it that way too.

I too took metabo-life for 18months - i think i had a mild heart attack on it - I lost 40lbs and gained 63lbs back - i still have a slight chest pain every once in a while that I think was due to the extended use of metabolife because that's when it would happen - one time it was really bad - bad enough I had to leave a softball game in high school because of it - it went away after a few hours - i should have gone to the ER but i was 18 I didn't think it was anything serious - now i'm not so sure and wonder what long term side effects I have now its 6 years later.

I really wonder about Oprah. She has had such a public battle with the weight for decades now. She has done low fat, low carb, liquid, workouts, personal trainers and personal chefs, etc... She takes it off and puts right back on. It seems like she has tried everything already, I really wonder what her secret is in taking it all off this time. She has not been as vocal about it as past attempts. If she keeps it all off this time I will REALLY wonder. And if it is due to the lapband and she wants to keep that private, more power to her, at least she wont spend the next 2 decades fighting her weight.

The thing about celebs and endorsement deals is that the companies they represent invest alot to make CERTAIN these frontmen/women succeed. They get personal support in trainers, dieticians, chef's, counseling, personal attendants that the rest of us don't get when we buy their bottle of pills or prepackaged dinners.

Sure I can believe Kirstie has succeeded simply with Jenny Craig, they come to her home to help her out, she said so on Oprah. Sure Anna is losing by taking trimspa...along with a sensible meal plan set up daily by a personal chef, workouts with a personal trainer... and a fat contract kick-back... hell if I'd ever had that kind of support and personal attention I might have had a fighting chance without surgery too. For as long as I had the support on hand anyway... we'll see long term how well they do. I wish them luck.

I'm Not Sure If You Guys Are American Idol Fans But Randy Jackson Is One Of The Judges And He Is Pretty Outspoken About His Lap Band. Sharron Osbourne Has A Band But It's One Of The Originals....and I Have To Say I Agree With You Guys Kirstie Alley And Oprah Probably Do Too.....if I Had That Kind Of Money I Would've Done This Years Ago. It's A Shame That People Are Not More Public About It - I Bet A Lot More "famous" People Have Them Too. If More Young Girls Knew That Maybe They Wouldn't Be So Hard On Themelves.

I'm Not Sure If You Guys Are American Idol Fans But Randy Jackson Is One Of The Judges And He Is Pretty Outspoken About His Lap Band.

Actually, he's pretty outspoken about having had the gastric bypass. :)

I thought Randy Jackson (American Idol) got GB done... now I'm really confused!I read an article in the people magazine several months back that Sharon Osbourne had gastric banding is what they called it... and it cost her 70,000 $$$$$ .Thank God mine din't cost me that!! Oh well whatever has helped these celebs lose weight... Band.. GB...and or just diet and excerse ..I think they are all looking good!!

Ok, here's a summary of some of the celebs mentioned so far, and my opinion for what it's worth (not much):

Kirstie Alley - no surgery

Oprah - no surgery

Sharon Osbourne - Lap-band - Her successfulness with the band is questionable since she says she is bulemic - which means that she misuses the band. She herself has said that she tends to stuff her face with junk food and then throw it up. Ozzy also made reference to her frequent vomiting during the "Osbourne's" shooting. I think maybe this is why she hasn't championed the band - she herself knows she is not a good role model in the way she uses it.

Ann Wilson - lap-band (but struggling to succeed with it, apparently)

Star Jones - lap-band (bypass sounds even more plausible to me based on her quick wt. loss ... however, I'm going from a gossip post I saw from someone who talked to someone who knew someone who was "in the know" :) ).

Randy Jackson - gastric bypass.

Anna Nicole - drugs (and I don't mean Trimspa).

The gastric balloon being Hollywood's best kept secret theory: that sounds like a good theory! I guess they would have to go out of the country to get it done though, since it's not FDA approved yet (is it?).

-Yvonne

I DON'T MEAN TO BE DIFFICULT BUT RANDY JACKSON IS DEFINATELY A BANDSTER. HE WAS ON OPRAH AND MY DOC HAS THE LINK TO VIEW THE SHOW ON HER WEBSITE BECAUSE MY DOC WAS ON THE SAME SHOW. PEOPLE USE GB INTERCHANGEABLELY WITH THE BAND BUT HE CLARRIFIED IT ON THE SHOW. THE LINK IS HERE: YOU CAN VIEW THE CLIP. AT FIRST THEY TALK ABOUT GB BUT THEN HE TALKS ABOUT THE BAND.

NYU Surgical Weight Loss - Welcome

Ah ... yes ... now I see the source of the confusion. Randy Jackson had the Fobi pouch, which is simply a variation of the gastric bypass. It includes a silastic ring around the stoma, which makes the stoma less likely to stretch, I guess. I think it also includes mesh around the pouch to prevent the pouch from stretching. I see it as a more invasive and more dangerous version of gastric bypass, actually. By the way, Roseanne Barr had the same type of gastric bypass.