Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An "AHA" Moment! True restriction or is there a problem??

Well, I'm experiencing a new feeling the last two days and am wondering if I'm actually properly restricted - or if there's a problem. The real question is... can the restriction just begin to "kick-in" 10 days after a fill?

Some background... I was banded 8/26 and have had 2 fills - one on 10/3 and one on 10/31. I had been doing very well with my weight loss - I actually was down 50 pounds as of last week, but then gained 2 back this week! Up until this week, I have not had any problems with eating. Although I was eating much more than the expected amount, I was making the right choices, just eating larger amounts than 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time. In fact, I was doing about 1200 calories, on average, a day. (and I do track daily on Fitday.com)

Prior to my 1st fill, I was really hungry. The fill helped, but not very much. For almost a month, I plateaued at about a 42 pound weight loss. I had my second fill on Friday, 10/31. I felt a little more restriction, but not much. However, I did feel like I lost weight right away and in fact, dropped 8 pounds in 4 days. (Just catching up for the prior month of plateau.)

For the week after the 2nd fill, I was a little more restricted, but not too much.

Then boom. Monday, I decided to go on liquids for the day since I felt bloated. I

had some Soup for lunch which was heavily spiced and very gassy and I really didn't feel well the next day. I had a lot of indigestion (which I hadn't been having), had lots of gas and had pains in my stomach. That night at dinner, I only ate a little fish (maybe 3 oz) and I had the start of a giant pain in my chest. I did take some nexium and by this morning, felt fine.

Then today at lunch (at a business conference), I had about 1-2 oz of sliced turkey and started to feel like I was going to vomit. Then I realized that this may be the restriction I've been aiming for. I felt fine after a while. In the meantime, I did drink 3 bottles of Water throughout the day, and didn't have any problems. dinner tonight was chicken and I was able to eat about 4 oz with a few steamed baby carrots - and then I was stuffed.

So.... is this the real restriction we aim for? And if so, is it unusual for it to develop 10 days after a fill?

If the stomach pain lasted - I certainly would have called my doctor. But I didn't have any additional stomach pain or indigestion.

So... "AHA" - maybe I am "restricted"!!! Any input? Thanks.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I definitely think it's possible for restriction to change even many days or weeks after a fill. I don't have the foggiest idea why that is, but I know that even now, weeks after my fill on October 16 I can be very surprised by the amount of restriction I'm experiencing.

Some of this may be, and I'm just theorizing here, due to a lessening of caution as we start to believe there is little or no restriction. I know that when I'm not thinking it's very easy for me to take a bite that's too big or swallow too quickly. Just yesterday I spent more than two hours regretting part of an Egg McMuffin (the egg part only) that I was eating in my car on the way to work. It was a very negative experience, PBing and sliming and all, and while it seems to me that I was being careful and the same thing wouldn't have bothered me the day before, something tells me that's not quite the whole story.

When you start to feel its presence after not having much of a barrier, the band can assert itself pretty abruptly. From what you describe it doesn't sound like you had anything serious happen, but it is definitely a clue that you need to take TINY bites and WAIT 30 seconds or so between them.

That waiting is my biggest hurdle, but I'm working on it.

Thats restriction your feeling there Mary. I have it on and off, some days I can eat normally and some days nothing goes down at all. Congrats on your weightloss!

My fill restriction tends to "kick in" about 4 weeks after the fill - talk about "delayed reaction"!

Also, I note that you say

Then boom. Monday, I decided to go on liquids for the day since I felt bloated.

Remember, bloating (swelling, Water retention, etc.) will most likely impact your restriction as well. Even once you get consistent restriction, it is likely you will have the odd day when you can eat anything and you wonder to yourself who stole your band while you were sleeping?

Good for you in taking it easy and resetting yourself with liquids. The band is fickle, so remaining flexible is key to keeping frustration levels low.