Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded yesterday morning and per my doctor, we are allowed to start on full liquids today. According to him this is thin oatmeal, yogert, cream Soup, SF pudding, ect. Anything that you can get through a straw (except dont drink it through the straw). Anyway, so I had some yogert cause my stomach felt hungry and I thought it would stop growling and make it feel better. But even after I had it, my stomach still has that hungry feeling. It also feels swollen and a little full feeling but hungry. I can't figure out if I need to eat more to make the uncomfortible feeling to go away, or if it is now full and uncomforitable, or if that is just the normal feeling one day following being banded. I know this sounds weird, but I am confused at what exactly my stomach ache is trying to tell me. Thanks in advance for any insite!

I was banded a week ago yesterday. I feel hungry sometimes but it is a different kind of hunger. When I feel like I am hungry and it has been a while, I drink a slim fast shake. Knocks the hunger right out. I am on liquids only for 2 weeks but it does include SF pudding, Jello, and low fat yogurt. I don't get oatmeal till next week. I do know when I have drank to much though - start feeling it in my chest and it is uncomfortable. My head hunger is there too - I really miss food. Never noticed how many commercials there were for food or how much people eat in movies and tv shows. I have not cheated which I am very proud of myself for. It is not easy at all. Yesterday my consumption consisted of 3 slim fast shakes, 2 low fat yogurts and a can of chicken broth. 2 weeks ago - that wouldn't have gotten me thru to noon! I still haven't figured out what all the feelings my body is having are but I know what I am supposed to do and what I am not supposed to do so I am sticking with that.

I know that feeling well, I had it later after my first fill. I have figured out that full is something completely different than pre band. I also felt like that when I tried full liquids a little too soon. I just waited until the next day and I felt fine, and full liquids went down fine then. I am also learning that hungry is different than it was befoe the band.

I am not an expert at all, but it sounds to me like you may have slightly overfilled your pouch. I have learned that full is when the food doesn't taste as good as it did. It is not the stuffed feeling that "full" was when you did not have the band. These feelings are often different for different people so it is hard to have someone else describe them to you. You may have something different going on. Just a couple of ideas for you. Have a good day!!!

I'd swap the Slim Fast shakes (particularly if you the one you're using is not low carb) for something like EAS or another whey Protein powder. They're generally lower calorie...or at least higher Protein.< /p>

My EAS whey powder that I get at Sam's Club has 23 gm of protein. I generally drink shakes for Breakfast and sometimes lunch and have to say that the higher protein keeps the hunger at bay longer.

I've also found that when I'm feeling a bit 'growly' in the evening, I drink some beef or chicken broth (homemade) and the warmth soothes the tummy...there's a contentment factor as well.

Thanks so much, I know what you mean, it is so hard to describe how it can feel like hunger and fullness at the same time. As I have sat here longer, I think it is starting to feel more like I am full (maybe to full like you said). It is just yogurt so I know that extreme full-ness wont last long as it will just slip right through. How do you know in the beginning how much you can and can't eat. I had a popcicle yesterday evening and after I felt like I had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't expect to feel this restricted before I even had a fill.

I'd swap the Slim Fast shakes (particularly if you the one you're using is not low carb) for something like EAS or another whey Protein powder. They're generally lower calorie...or at least higher Protein.

My EAS whey powder that I get at Sam's Club has 23 gm of protein. I generally drink shakes for Breakfast and sometimes lunch and have to say that the higher protein keeps the hunger at bay longer.

I've also found that when I'm feeling a bit 'growly' in the evening, I drink some beef or chicken broth (homemade) and the warmth soothes the tummy...there's a contentment factor as well.

I have been drinking the Slim Fast Optima shakes. They are 180 calories with 10 gm of protein. I went with those because all I have to do is pop open a can. Do you mix yours? I know I need more protein. I feel ok during the day but get tired and weak at night. The broth at night is great! I get tired of the sweet taste fromthe shakes and yogurt..

I need to make a trip to GNC and see what I can come up with.

Thanks so much, I know what you mean, it is so hard to describe how it can feel like hunger and fullness at the same time. As I have sat here longer, I think it is starting to feel more like I am full (maybe to full like you said). It is just yogurt so I know that extreme full-ness wont last long as it will just slip right through. How do you know in the beginning how much you can and can't eat. I had a popcicle yesterday evening and after I felt like I had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner. I didn't expect to feel this restricted before I even had a fill.

Popsicles do that to me too - feel like my stomach is going to pop open. Very uncomfortable feeling. It passes though. You insides are swollen so there is your restriction. There is a video on you tube of the surgery. watch that and you will see the trama your stomach went thru and you will understand why it takes so long to heal. It will also help you understand why you should not cheat. part of your stomach is stiched around the band, eating something your shouldnt too soon can break those and cause the band to slip. Thinking about that keeps my food choices in tact. It is going to take time for you to understand the new language of your body. Listen to it - just the last week with the band has made me pay way more attention to what is going on inside me.

I didn't hang on to that initial restriction for more than about 3 weeks. Then I felt like a lot of it went away. I still had it when I ate dry food, so it was there, but it was much less. I was told to never eat more than a cup and a half of food, so I did that with emphasis on Protein. I don't do sweet drinks at all as I don't like them, but the Unjury Protein Powder in the chicken Soup flavor is good and helps get the required amount of protein in to your calories.

They make it unflavored too and in sweet flavors with no carbs. My daughters nutritionist told her not to eat more than the size of her fist. That is a pretty good comparison because you always have your fist with you. Hope this helps at least a little......

I have been drinking the Slim Fast Optima shakes. They are 180 calories with 10 gm of Protein. I went with those because all I have to do is pop open a can. Do you mix yours? I know I need more Protein. I feel ok during the day but get tired and weak at night. The broth at night is great! I get tired of the sweet taste fromthe shakes and yogurt..

I need to make a trip to GNC and see what I can come up with.

I mix my own shakes, but I read that EAS makes a ready made shake as well. The powder alone is 23 gm protein and 130 calories (chocolate).

Check Sam's Club. The EAS powder is $30 for 5 lbs versus $70 for 3.5 pounds of the powder at GNC.< /p>

EAS has a ready-made Protein drink called Myoplex Lite. It has 20gr of Protein and is 170 calories.

2gr fat

20g carbs

5g Fiber

1g sugar

Doesn't taste bad either.

Available by the case at Sam's Club.