Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone reached a plateau?

Hey Everybody,

I've hit a wall-- started out at 260, down to about 200, and it has been almost a year of little or no weight loss. I had some trouble with a tight fill and had to be opened all the way up to let it heal, and also another meidcal issue that will remain private, but still maintained 200 and am healthy, now.. Finally found the 'sweet spot" fill, I think (meaning, I can drink more than a thimble size mouthful of water). . .but feel as if if I get any tighter it will be too tight, yet, not really losing. Okay, so I can get real about choices and exercise, and really how well I am WORKING THE BAND, etc. . .but I would like to hear from others who have hit a plateau, and then broke on through to the other side. What changes were made, etc. And if not that, I'd like to commiserate with Plateau People just to let off a little steam!!

Lay it on me brothers and sisters,

LL

LOL. Yep. I've been sitting between 175 and 185 for over a year now and I'm sure it's all my fault. My body seems to like it here and I continue to obviously take in enough calories to keep me here. My exercise has slowed down due to all sorts of good excuses, but THANK GOD I have a band and I have been able to maintain at this weight! Any other time and I would gained it all back and more. :)

I would like to eventually lose 40 or 50 more lbs but I think it's much harder on the lower side. At least in my case, it seems I have to be much more diligent about what I eat.

I say to myself, it's okay. The whole reasoning for getting this band was not to become perfect, but to become more healthy and live a longer, more quality life than I started out with. I have certainly accomplished that much. I have not dropped the clothes sizes I would like to have dropped but I'm maintaining a 16 Petite for 2 yrs now. I'd like to move on down to a 14 or 12 maybe.. I just gotta get my head around the idea of 'dieting' and I hate to go there..

Leatha

LooLoo, Yes, been there and done that (still doing it actually) I have been plateaued at a loss of 133 pounds now for 7 months and am very tired of waiting to get restarted on the weight loss. Please read my post I placed here about my plateau and the responses from other bandsters who encouraged me.... it is at this link:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9365

Good luck to you and please feel free to send a private message to me any time. I enjoy talking to others and gaining tips and hints about our journey.

Here is some encouaragement and tips/hints I got from a fellow bandster regarding my plateu in a private message; hope this helps you.

"It sounds as though you need a pretty massive overhaul in your diet and exercise regime. Try doing completely different exercises than you're doing now. Something that will work a different group of muscles. If your body gets into too much of a rut the exercising will not really do anything any more - so a varied exercise regime is best for continued weight loss.

Try mixing up your low carb diet with more fruits - unless that is something you're already doing. Its hard for me to give diet advice not knowing much about what you currently eat. But often times it's that the body is in starvation mode from not getting enough good carbs. Eating some sweets fruits every day (get organic, they taste better) can help that.

Also, have you gotten another fill recently? If you feel you're too restricted for another fill then you may need to modify your eating habits more so you can get another fill. In other words, learning to chew REALLY REALLY REALLY well (you'll find that only "pure" foods taste good when you have to chew 100 times for each little bite). And also learning that you can't eat things like bulky salads for lunch. There are adjustments that need to be made as you get more fills".

LOL. Yep. I've been sitting between 175 and 185 for over a year now and I'm sure it's all my fault. My body seems to like it here and I continue to obviously take in enough calories to keep me here. My exercise has slowed down due to all sorts of good excuses, but THANK GOD I have a band and I have been able to maintain at this weight! Any other time and I would gained it all back and more. :)

I would like to eventually lose 40 or 50 more lbs but I think it's much harder on the lower side. At least in my case, it seems I have to be much more diligent about what I eat.

I say to myself, it's okay. The whole reasoning for getting this band was not to become perfect, but to become more healthy and live a longer, more quality life than I started out with. I have certainly accomplished that much.

This is me, exactly. (The only change is that the numbers are 215-220 instead of 175-185, and it hasn't been a whole year.) Bolding mine.

My life is a big plateau. But I do need to up the exercise. I'm going to watch this thread in hopes of learning some things. Thanks for posting it!

Plateau, did someone say my name.... Well, I was down to 146 after my tt and Lipo, but since I was unable to get a fill for 4 months (on ps recommendation) I am up to 156, I have been loose for a while and have been taking full advantage of it by enjoying some forbidden foods. Luckily, with the band you can restart your weightloss by getting an adjustment or I'm hoping anyways... I am scheduled for a fill w/ Dr. Gomez in Miami on Oct. 25, so wish me luck. I have also commited to start walking w/ a friend, instead of staying to watch our girls during cheerleading practice we are going to walk, so hopefully w/ the fill and the excercise I will be headed towards my goal.. My husband told me last week during dinner (full bite of food going in my mouth), "So how much weight have you put on, its starting to show", I felt so horrible, I need a good-butt kicking from all of you, so please ---bending over, start the butt kicking!!!! We are planning to go to Mexico for three weeks in December so I would like to be at 140-145,cheer me on, cheer me on...

I've also hit another pleateau, I had to have surgery to remove endometriosis, so I had to go on a medicine called Lupron which they give to cancer patients, there are so many side effects and one of them is weight gain. I have not gained any in the last couple of months, but I'm not losing any either. I can't handle another adjustment right now because I'm tight as it is. I feel like i'm fighting a losing battle here. I thought about stopping the medicine but then the endometriosis will come back I that has to be one of the most painful things that I've gone through. I could a feel but than not be able to eat. So what do I do?

Yes, Im on one myself.

same 180ish for 5 months now! Noone to blame but myself.

Maybe this is it for me? Hope not, but heck, at least its not where I started at!

Plateau? Here! Yep, that's me! Someone call? HERE!!!! Yooohoooooo!

My body liked 208 for a long time, now it seems to like 194. I know I can do better than this, so I'll keep chugging along. I think our bodies just need to take some time at each plateau weight...get used to it...live here a minute. Ah, but it's frustrating waiting on body to catch up with mind and will. Oh, how they argue with one another!!! My fat will NOT win! Arggghhh!

That would be me -- I have been stuck between 165 to present 171. I cannot seem to get to my goal of 160.00 I know my creeping up has to do with my unfill and I have been cheating on food that I normally would not eat with a fill. I only have a week left to finish my sinus meds then get a fill.

I lost like crazy at first and have stalled to a huge stop for at least two months. That is way too long. I have started to exercise - and my muscles are dead right now. I really think I have to get up and move.

I've been at 225-230 since the middle of August. Unfortunately, my loss seems to work so that I lose a few lbs, then I'm stuck for a few months, then I lose a few more. Hopefully I'm due for a loss soon...

I've been at the same weight for about a month now. I am beyond frustrated. I've been walking several miles at least 4 days a week and nothing.