Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had good restriction but now it's gone!

Lost restriction all of a sudden after all these months. Thought I was at my sweet spot but where did it go? Did this ever happen to anyone else? Did my band break/leak? Have an appointment Wednesday to see my fill doctor...

If you completely lost all restriction, there is a chance you have a leak. I know someone that this happened to after several months of good restriction, although you generally expect it to happen soon after a fill (if there was a puncture). She was able to have it repaired. I think she had a leak in her tubing, but I can't remember for sure now. On the other hand, maybe you just need a fill adjustment. It took several fills to get me to where I have long lasting restriction. I would have decent restriction for awhile, and then it would diminish after several weeks. Since you've lost a good amount of weight, maybe you've lost all the fat stores around your stomach, and your band just naturally loosened.

I was thinking the same thing because I haven't had a fill or unfill in a long time now (probably 8-9 months). It's just because I lost restriction so suddenly that it worries me. I hope and pray it's not a leak!. Can't wait to get to the doctor to find out! I am eating everything under the sun now!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

I had that problem too, everytime I thought, ahh here we go, the restriction would go away.. I did have a leaky port, had it replaced last week. Hope yours is just needing a top off but if not the replacement was pretty easy.

i just got back from the Doctor and I have a leak... I was going for my 3rd fill, and my Doctor told me my band did not have anything in it!! It should have had 2.3cc. He filled it completely and extracted all Fluid completely a couple of times - each time with 2cc less per extraction.

They are going to see if my insurance will cover the repair of the port or tube or a new band but it is not likely, I have personal care HMO. They said they would call me with the difference in a couple of days if I have to pay myself. Not knowing what is leaking, the fact that it is leaking and not knowing if I am going to have to go through this again is beyond upsetting. I cried all the way home 1and1/2 hours!

I feel like such and idiot to have paid all that money and gone through all that and I am just going to end up fat in the end.!@#$%@#$

I was banded 7-3-09 in Mexico- self pay...

Someday i hope it works out for you.

I have a question My surgery date was Sept.11,2009, Ihave lost 58 lbs. Some may this is great, BUT I cannot eat anything but mushy food. and very little of that. I cannot hold down much food at all. I went to my MD today, He pulled of from the port. I have not had a fill. How can be too tight??? Also if I have not had a fill how could he withdraw Fluid???

Thanks

Wow I'm sorry to hear about your leaky port. That has to be very disappointing. I hope things work out for you. barb:sad:

Someday i hope it works out for you.

I have a question My surgery date was Sept.11,2009, Ihave lost 58 lbs. Some may this is great, BUT I cannot eat anything but mushy food. and very little of that. I cannot hold down much food at all. I went to my MD today, He pulled of from the port. I have not had a fill. How can be too tight??? Also if I have not had a fill how could he withdraw Fluid???

Thanks

They flush the band with saline during surgery to be sure there's nothing leaking, and a little Fluid can stay in the band. Also, some doctors put a fill in the band during surgery. I hope you're feeling better now.

debby07: Some doctors will put a little fill in at the time of surgery and maybe that is what your doctor did. Ask him.

Kat,

To be so sudden, I too agree it might be a leak. I had a lessening of restriction and ignored it, thinking it was just me stretching my pouch. I found out the tubing broke, which is very unusual and more likely you might have a leak of some sort. If I had known that, I wouldn't have beat myself up for being such a failure.

I need to change my ticker but I am back to 200 lbs.

Best of luck

Dont beat yourself up, this is one of the risks of this procedure. Mine was my port and it seems there were quite a few banded from May through July with port problems, so it might be a manufactures defect. My leak was the piece of plastic that comes out of the port that the tubing attaches too. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the encouragement Barb Debby and On the way to thin, I was really feeling down when I got home after the bad news. I am feeling a little better today...

SFC mom did you get your port replaced?

How are you doing now?

Kat i lost total restriction about three weeks ago and just thought I needed another fill.

Hopefully you are not leaking too. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow and let us know what happens.

Susan