Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you in favor of the new health care reform?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the new health care reform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

My husband was a high school teacher for 34 years. I was an elementary teacher for 10 years. I know what goes on inside public schools and I also know about students and parents. And to blame the schools for students making bad choices is a cop-out to coin an old phrase.

The biggest influences in kid's lives are their parents and family environment. My kids both went to public schools and public colleges and both are married and productive members of society. My husband and I would not have tolerated unacceptable behavior or associating with undesirable kids. We had high standards for behavior and academics. And I am and my husband was a liberal democrat as are both of our children.

Every time I had a problem student I could trace the problem directly back to the parent(s). Most were uneducated, had little interest in education, were poor disciplinarians or overindulgent. The kids often "ran" the household. And most were in dysfunctional families. In many cases, I was the first adult in children's lives who expected them to follow rules.

If I had had students who were raised by a gay, loving couple they would be much better off than those who came from divorced families. Without a doubt divorce had a devastating effect on children. Then there was mom and her boyfriend and dad and his girlfriend. But we don't see the opposition to divorce from the (religious) right. Oh, no. It's gays getting married that poses a threat to marriage. Yeah, right. That's not my experience.

CM,

I am confused. How can you openly admit that you know that the baby mamas and their spawn are what is destroying this country and proclaim to be a liberal democrat?

It is the liberal democrats that enable the derelict welfare scum to breed out of control by feeding and housing them.

CM,

I am confused. How can you openly admit that you know that the baby mamas and their spawn are what is destroying this country and proclaim to be a liberal democrat?

It is the liberal democrats that enable the derelict welfare scum to breed out of control by feeding and housing them.

I never mentioned welfare or destroying the country, baby's mamas or spawns. Those are hate terms used by the right. Your reaction is a typical overreaction from the conservative right!!! Taken right from rush's playbook.

I spoke about the devastating effect of divorce and parents who don't or won't parent - which results in a lack of discipline. And how a loving gay couple would be better for a child than a divorced couple.

And the safety nets in place do not discriminate based on gender, marital status or number of children. Children are the victims and should not be punished for the behavior of parents.

I never mentioned welfare or destroying the country, baby's mamas or spawns. Those are hate terms used by the right. Your reaction is a typical overreaction from the conservative right!!! Taken right from rush's playbook.

I spoke about the devastating effect of divorce and parents who don't or won't parent - which results in a lack of discipline. And how a loving gay couple would be better for a child than a divorced couple.

And the safety nets in place do not discriminate based on gender, marital status or number of children. Children are the victims and should not be punished for the behavior of parents.

I am neither rightwing nor conservative nor leftwing nor liberal.

You talked of single parents that don't care about or for their children. There are a lot more welfare scum like that than taxpaying divorcees.

Liberal democrats have gotten disciplining children made illegal in most states. Liberal democrats also encourage adults to treat children as equals. Where is the discipline supposed to come from?

If we aren't going to punish the children for the lack of upbringing that they receive then we are just perpetuating the problem.

Getting this back on track, that is why I am all for my tax dollar supporting abortion and no other kind of health care.

My husband was a high school teacher for 34 years. I was an elementary teacher for 10 years. I know what goes on inside public schools and I also know about students and parents. And to blame the schools for students making bad choices is a cop-out to coin an old phrase.

First of all, I didn't blame the schools. I blame my own 2 sons for what they do. They are ultimately responsible for their own actions. What I believe is that them attending 'public' schools verses 'homeschooling' which is what the other 5 of my kids did, was alot of their problem. It exposed them to negative peer pressure and violence. It exposed them to their liberal views about the world and society. It kept 'God' out for those 7 hours every day. The public school was a cesspool of unrighteousness and immorality where police officers had to roam the hallways of the high school, where "zero tollerence" was taken to the extreme. I could go on oand on about the public school system, but I wont.

The biggest influences in kid's lives are their parents and family environment. My kids both went to public schools and public colleges and both are married and productive members of society. My husband and I would not have tolerated unacceptable behavior or associating with undesirable kids. We had high standards for behavior and academics. And I am and my husband was a liberal democrat as are both of our children.

We never tollerated unacceptable behavior either. But when they were at school, they were away from our influence and in the hands of those who were teaching them and other peers whom I would never have allowed in their lives if it weren't for the fact that they had to be there while at school. These peers were their friends and even though I did not allow them to associate with those who smoked pot and drank alcohol, they did it anyway because they developed a lack of respect for us as highschool aged kids that my other 5 children who were homeschooled never did.

Every time I had a problem student I could trace the problem directly back to the parent(s). Most were uneducated, had little interest in education, were poor disciplinarians or overindulgent. The kids often "ran" the household. And most were in dysfunctional families. In many cases, I was the first adult in children's lives who expected them to follow rules.

What does this have to do with homeschooled vs. public education?

If I had had students who were raised by a gay, loving couple they would be much better off than those who came from divorced families. Without a doubt divorce had a devastating effect on children. Then there was mom and her boyfriend and dad and his girlfriend. But we don't see the opposition to divorce from the (religious) right. Oh, no. It's gays getting married that poses a threat to marriage. Yeah, right. That's not my experience.

There is plenty of opposition from the right about divorce. I for one feel it is an atrocity. God hates divorce, and for good reason.

I am neither rightwing nor conservative nor leftwing nor liberal.

You talked of single parents that don't care about or for their children. There are a lot more welfare scum like that than taxpaying divorcees.

Liberal democrats have gotten disciplining children made illegal in most states. Liberal democrats also encourage adults to treat children as equals. Where is the discipline supposed to come from?

If we aren't going to punish the children for the lack of upbringing that they receive then we are just perpetuating the problem.

Getting this back on track, that is why I am all for my tax dollar supporting abortion and no other kind of health care.

Regardless of what you call yourself politically, you use broad sweeping, emotional generalizations.

Welfare single parents vs taxpaying single parents? You made that comparison, not me. Very few of the parents I had experience with were on welfare. Just very low class, maybe low middle. And no minorities. They paid taxes. Dysfunctional families comes in all economic classes but the one common denominator that I did notice among the parents was the high rate of divorce.

Liberals have made disciplining children illegal in most states? Do you mean people who are opposed to child abuse? Discipline does not mean hitting. And punishment doesn't mean hitting. I never hit a student but I had strict discipline in my classroom. There were consequences.

patty I understand the stats for home schooled children as compared to public and private schooled children. And you're boasting because...??? What I want for our children and this country are superior educations and learning experiences for all of our kids.

Just because home schooled children do better than other children on tests, does not give us the whole picture nor does it in anyway mean that the home schooled children are getting the kind of education that I would like to see that all American children get.

btreiger you're way off base in your sweeping generalizations of liberals. Yes, there are certain things that liberals believe in and want. But you're accusing them of the most odd-ball stuff you can imagine.

I'm with CsM, you've been reading the Limbaugh playbook too long and you must be drinking the kool-aide.

Not an opinion, an observation.

You're often repremanding folks for getting too personal. But you don't mind getting personal (and rude) with me.

I don't mind getting personal when people are stating personal opinions, and you don't seem to if you disagree with someone. But if you like them, you expect everyone else to back off. Ass-munch.

I don't see where I've gotten personal at all (unlike some folks who will call names, like ass-munch, or accuse me of using my mod position to bully or change posts......You've done all these things). I pop in from time to time to offer an opposing point of view. I never get personal. I defy you to find a single post where I've personally attacked you. What I think, and this is just an opinion, mind you, is that you get all flustered when I ask a question that you can't easily answer with your propaganda (usually taken verbatim from moveon, or huffington post.... I know this because I read there too).

And where have I ever stuck up for somebody that has broken the rules? If anything, you and beth should know that I try to put in extra effort to keep the peace without anybody getting "binged" for breaking the rules.

So either back up your false claims or quit whining.

Hey AM, I'm not whining, I'm bitching. And I didn't actually observe, on this thread, that you were taking up for the righties. That doesn't mean you haven't done it on other threads - where you did in fact, do it to me and in favor of a right winger that you obviously, by the arguments you make, support.

And you're the one who's whining. I do not have to back up anything. I can say whatever I wish, within reason. You can believe me or not - your perrogative. You, as a mod, should be careful about unfairly singling out someone for getting personal by getting personal.

Geez, this is fun.

Hey AM, I'm not whining, I'm bitching. And I didn't actually observe, on this thread, that you were taking up for the righties. That doesn't mean you haven't done it on other threads - where you did in fact, do it to me and in favor of a right winger that you obviously, by the arguments you make, support.

And you're the one who's whining. I do not have to back up anything. I can say whatever I wish, within reason. You can believe me or not - your perrogative. You, as a mod, should be careful about unfairly singling out someone for getting personal by getting personal.

Geez, this is fun.

Hey, I give as good as I get. No, you don't have to back up anything you say. However, when you post distortions of the truth, I'll call you on it.

If you think my behavior is untoward, then you should report me and let a third party arbitrate, not call me an "assmunch". Again, if you can find a single instance where you think I've been unfair, post it for all the world to see. If you can't do that, then you're just spreading bitter untruths.

Yes, within reason you can say what you want. I would think you'd want to stick to the truth, but ultimately that is purely your decision.

Or you could ignore the content of this post and call me an assmunch again. That'd be the intellectual thing to do.

Whoo baby, intellect is as intellect does.

You need to bring back your sense of humor. I liked you better when you weren't so defensive.

Whoo baby, intellect is as intellect does.

You need to bring back your sense of humor. I liked you better when you weren't so defensive.

That's pretty funny. When you called me an "ass", I tried to get in on the joke with some self - deprecating humor by asking for your sources. Instead of laughing it off, you then called me an "assmunch". And when I called you on that, it turns out that you didn't really mean it......it was just all jokes. Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe I read it wrong.

Obviously you read it wrong. It isn't assmunch, it's ass munch. Bigggg difference.

Hope you have a happy 2010. Reading your posts this past year has been a weird combination of snotty and funny. Like I said, I prefer funny. You usually have a great sense of humor when you aren't making wild assumptions about mine or someone else's posts. Cheers!

Obviously you read it wrong. It isn't assmunch, it's ass munch. Bigggg difference.

Hope you have a happy 2010. Reading your posts this past year has been a weird combination of snotty and funny. Like I said, I prefer funny. You usually have a great sense of humor when you aren't making wild assumptions about mine or someone else's posts. Cheers!

Same to ya! I hope you have a great 2010. May you, in the upcoming year, post what you mean and mean what you post.