Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i see members on here that post threads/pictures that say 92 pounds gone FOREVER...50 pounds gone FOREVER and so on and so 4th...i can't seem to grasp the FOREVER part...i'm the 1st person on here to tell people that ask me questions to "just relax and take it day by day"....i can't seem to follow my own advice when it comes to maintaining my loss...i CAN'T relax....i'm scared to death to relax...i don't think any loss from any type of weight loss surgery is FOREVER...i've seen people on here and in my own personal life put their weight back on...(mostly bypass patients)...i'm not doing anything different then i did to lose the weight...but i can't get over this fear of it coming back...i find myself working out harder to make sure it doesnt come back...my husband friends and family don't understand what i am going through...and now think i have a "problem"....who doesnt...lol....i can't live in that misery again...i can't do it...but i can't seem to grasp the FOREVER in my head either...its on my mind all day....everyday....i feel like if i have the FOREVER mind-set i'm going to get lazy....if i feel like if i think i'm invisible to ever gain my weight back i'm kidding myself...i'm happy going to the gym...i happy with what and how i eat...i didn't have to chage much about how i eat....i love meat...i just needed the portion control...i have that with my band...but i want to feel like i'm going to be okay...i want some1 to assure me that i'm going to be okay...that if i keep doing what i'm doing it won't come back...i'm totally stressed out about this...

I totally agree. For fat folks in this life, weight loss and working for the rewards is NEVER ENDING. For those who reach a goal and take a sigh of relief that it's done...hang on...they're headed right back into the really fat, lazy, uncomfortable situation for the rest of their life. I've had great success, meaning all of my major health issues were resolved immediately. B/P, blood sugar, etc...however; although 51 pounds dropped rapidly, I've been 'trapped' in a void for the last four months. But...I am happy, healthy and I know the rest is going to disappear over time...over time...over time. The band is a tremendous helper, but it's not a magic cure. Our habits, food choices and all can take us right back into our misery and poor health. Be ware bandsters...it's not even over WHEN THE USED TO BE FAT LADY SINGS!!! Keep working!

I have the same fear but you have this tool to help you stay thin which you have never had before. You will be just fine. Yes it is going to be work and yes it is going to be on your mind but you have this wonderful tool and willpower. All you have to do is look in the minor everyday and think how beautifull you are. Don't let the fear run you life. Thinking about it everyday isn't a bad thing it will just keep you on track to keeping this lifestyle but just don't let it effect your state of mind.

Your beautifull your strong and you will be just fine.

thank u for the reassurance...my husband and i got in a huge agruement over my exercise routine...then my mom had to butt in and they both ganged up on me and said "i have a problem"....i have a fear...not a problem and until u've had an issue with weight (my husband never has) they won't understand...i personally compare it to the fear of an x-drug addict doing drugs again...a lot of my friends ask me y i keep going to the gym...i dont need to lose anymore weight...for me the exercise is a must....i have included my exercise routine in my maintenance phase....

I guess the first thing that stresses me out in 2 of the above posts are the words FAT and LAZY. Do you really associate these words together. I was OVERWEIGHT but I was never lazy. I would hate to think that now that your losing weight you don't stereotype people. Never forget where you came from. Some are not as fortunate to be able to afford this procedure. Thank god we were. If you are obsessing over weight loss or gaining back I think maybe you were to busy working on the outside and forgot to work on the inside. I Truly think that there should be some manditory thearapy that goes along with the band. Most of us have bigger issues, food is just cover. Possibly you have obssessive compulsive behaviors. Definately if you are obsessing day and night about it. Life is to short! What fun is being thinner if your mind is haunting you daily. Maybe seek counseling, I have seen worse things happen in the world than gaining back a few pounds. Remember, keep things in perspective! ENJOY YOUR LIFE!!!!!

i wasnt calling fat people lazy...i wasnt lazy when i was fat....there are plenty of worse things that can happen besides gaining weight....i totally agree with u...but 4 me personally....its a fear...the counsler i saw b4 i had my surgery was 120 pounds...never had an issue with weight...i'm sure there r plenty of people that have this same fear and could give me better advice then to go see a counsler...

I didn't mean to insult you! I guess certain words seem offensive to me like the word FAT. I thought maybe your thoughts seemed obsessive compulsive and that someone in the medical field could possibly treat that. I myself am obsessive compulsive and part of that is reacurring thoughts and feeling running through your head daily, even though you think they may be unsubstantiated. Sorry if you were insulted by the thought of counseling. I truly was only trying to help. I have been banded for over 3 years and have had alot of different feelings and emotions, up and down. Sorry again!!

I think it's a very valid fear and it can be common for people who loose A LOT of weight to almost become obsessed with it, the fear of gaining back can be overwhelming.

While I had to do a psych and nutr. visit pre-surgery, it might be something I'll check back into throughout and when I am maintaining, just to get that reassurance and someone to listen.

i see members on here that post threads/pictures that say 92 pounds gone FOREVER...50 pounds gone FOREVER and so on and so 4th...i can't seem to grasp the FOREVER part...i'm the 1st person on here to tell people that ask me questions to "just relax and take it day by day"....i can't seem to follow my own advice when it comes to maintaining my loss...i CAN'T relax....i'm scared to death to relax...i don't think any loss from any type of weight loss surgery is FOREVER...i've seen people on here and in my own personal life put their weight back on...(mostly bypass patients)...i'm not doing anything different then i did to lose the weight...but i can't get over this fear of it coming back...i find myself working out harder to make sure it doesnt come back...my husband friends and family don't understand what i am going through...and now think i have a "problem"....who doesnt...lol....i can't live in that misery again...i can't do it...but i can't seem to grasp the FOREVER in my head either...its on my mind all day....everyday....i feel like if i have the FOREVER mind-set i'm going to get lazy....if i feel like if i think i'm invisible to ever gain my weight back i'm kidding myself...i'm happy going to the gym...i happy with what and how i eat...i didn't have to chage much about how i eat....i love meat...i just needed the portion control...i have that with my band...but i want to feel like i'm going to be okay...i want some1 to assure me that i'm going to be okay...that if i keep doing what i'm doing it won't come back...i'm totally stressed out about this...

I just want to stress that it didn't take over night to become overweight. We all had many years of practice. So it's not going to take overnight to be thin. It's also going to take many years of practice to break that cycle, even when you DO reach your goal weight. Weightloss is a never ending battle. Weight Gain is a battle worth fighting.

As for the fear of gaining the weight back because of your personal experiences with mostly bypass patients. My doc told me that after 2 years the bypass stops working because you have already reached a certain amount of weight and it can't be adjusted. After that 2 years it's up to you. The lapband can be adjusted. But I'm not saying you don't have to continue your battle. What I will say is that YOU look amazing. And I know you have worked hard and will continue to work hard. Be proud of yourself that you got this far. Don't look to far in the future because it is very scary. Take things one day at a time.

Hey Girl - I agree with the x-drug addict theory! They say once an addict, ALWAYS an addict so you're right to keep it in your thoughts. Daily exercise is suppose to be a good thing and you need it to maintain a healthy life style. I wish you could "relax" a bit and not let it stress you out so much, though. As long as you continue to work your program you won't gain it back! Maybe talk to a trainer to find a new, balanced routine for maintainance. Maybe you won't have to work out so "hard" anymore or so often. This is your time to shine and enjoy your success!!!!

You said it yourself, you plan to keep working out and watching your portion size.

With your frame of mind I don't think you have anything to worry about girl! Just relax and enjoy being gorgeous.

2Fly...first, you know I love you! You always have kind words to say about my pictures.

Second, I never say GONE FOREVER bc i think I would be fooling myself if I thought the band was forever. lord knows I hope I will never return...but Forever is a long time. However, positive thought and committing to something goes along way...so it is good if people feel like their weight loss is forever.

Anywhoodles...

I also understand what you are saying about the people around you thinking you have become obsessed. And although I only know what you share...you might just be...just a smidge. That's what fear does to us afterall. It pushes us to extremes. My coworker had gastric bypass, and like you...is extremely worried about gaining the weight back. She is now obsessive about eating and working out.

Her fear is driving her. And like you, people are telling her all the time "You are losing too much weight". I think you might feel this a little yourself, that you are spending A LOT of time focused on not gaining the weight back. You have transferred one obsession with the other. It is about finding the right balance ya know? If working out makes you feel good...there is no reason not too. BUT, if the fear of gaining the weight back starts to consume you...that's when it becomes a problem.

This is a good post and it's always risky posting personal feelings and thought on here bc some people can take things the wrong way. You have overcome a lot.

2Fly, I can relate. I have been very successful on the band, I lost about 105% of my excess weight in less than a year and am terrified that it will come back. In the back of my mind, I have already told myself that I will go in for a revision in a New York minute if I have any major band complication. I have never been thin in my whole life, now that I am I will NOT go back to fat. I too am obsessed with working out, not so much for weight loss at this point but more to tone up all those loose areas now that the fat is gone. I do worry that it is a little much at times, I work out 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I don’t think of it as an obsession though, more of a release. I don’t have any other vices (no drugs, smoking or drinking) so exercise has become my addiction – is that really so bad?

u know i think friends...family members...those around us think its so "bad" for us to exercise so much bcuz they arent use to not only our weight change...but our life style change...my sister is ALWAYS in the gym....constantly exercising...u name the class...she takes it...lol...no1 ever shows any type of concern or tells her she has a "problem/obession"...bcuz every1 around us is use to her being in the gym.

Well, as much as I love the gym right now – I do try to make sure I have a balance. If for no other reason, you don’t want to burn out on it. You want to make it a regular part of your life like eating, shopping, sleeping.< /span>