Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will You Be or Have You Had The H1N1 Shot

Have You or Will You be getting the H1N1 Shot?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have You or Will You be getting the H1N1 Shot?

• I have had my shot, and would like every eligible person to have one too.
    • I haven't had one yet, but plan on getting one as soon as they become available.
    • I would never allow that vaccine to enter my body.
    • I am undecided.

I got the regular flu shot, I don't think you can get the H1N1 shot if you had the regular.

I got sick a couple weeks before my surgery like another poster I went to my GP and got antibiotics and alergy medication it worked and I had my surgery on schedule.

I got one on wenday . I have copd so i was able to get one from the gov.

JayTee-You CAN receive the H1N1 vaccine even if you've received the seasonal flu shot. The seasonal flu shot DOES NOT protect you against H1N1, just the same as the H1N1 flu shot or nasal mist does not protect you against the seasonal flu.

As a nursing student and in my humble opinion, I definitely think that individuals should receive BOTH the seasonal and the H1N1 vaccine. I did. I received the nasal mist. I had absolutely NO side effects.

Mostly I chose to stand in line for hours at the county health department to receive this vaccine because I am exposed to the healthcare field as a nursing student, am included in the age group most at risk (6 months-24), and have nursing clinicals at the ONLY children's hospital in my area. They send all of the children suspected of having H1N1 to this hospital to get tested. Also, I am doing clinicals in L&D and did not want to risk picking up H1N1 from one of my pediatric patients and carrying it to the newborns.

The biggest thing to keep in mind about H1N1...is that you become CONTAGIOUS even before you realize you have the "swine flu".

P.S.

If one were to develop Guilliain Barre from the H1N1 flu shot, it would be evident much, much, much sooner than years down the road, more like hours, days, maybe but probably not... weeks...and to my knowledge, there have not been any reported cases of Guillain Barre associated with the 2009 H1N1 vaccine.

I did BOTH the seasonal and the H1N1 vaccine. I received the nasal mist H1N1. I had absolutely NO side effects. I did the seasonal early October, and the H1N1 2 weeks ago.

I work in a hospital in the PEDS department.

For years I refused the seasonal flu shot. A bank I worked at years ago offered them for free so there wouldn't be massive amounts of people out with the flu. I was out of the office the day they gave them, and didn't get one. Everyone that recieved the shot got a violent bout of the flu. so everyone that tried to prevent it, got it in spades. That was enough to swear me off of it. But there have been improvements, and I've gotten it the last two years. No problem. As for the N1H1, no, I'm not going to get it. I don't fall into any of the risk categories. I was at my doctor's office for a routine check up, and overheard he and the doctor in the suite next door talking in the hall. The other doctor was saying that he refused to give his pregnant patients the vaccine, that he couldn't do so in good conscience. If they requested it, he was referring them out. He wasn't 100% sure of it's safety. That was enough for me to say no thanks.

The people we have seen die from H1N1 have been mostly young people (young kids, 20's-40's). The shot is highly indicated if you are less than 5 years old or pregnant-these are the people we have been seeing getting sick the most. People older than 65 were exposed to the virus the last time it went around and have some immunity. Other reasons to get it have already been mentioned here-immunosupressed, health care worker, lung disease, super morbidly obese (these patients are especially at risk for bad outcomes, we are not entirely sure why yet, but may have to do w/ underlying cardiac problems or unknown pulmonary hypertension...not to mention the extra weight makes it harder to breathe)

As always, use your best judgment and wash your hands!

Edited by MoxieDO

I had my seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago....and have had it every year for about the last 10 years with no side effects.

One of my jobs is doing home health care and I will definitely be getting the H1N1 vaccination. I personally feel that those in the health care field that may be exposed to people who are immuno-suppressed, SHOULD be vaccinated...not necessarily for themselves but to protect those around you. I would feel terrible if I got a mild case of H1N1 and passed it along to someone who was less able to fight it. And yes, I could easily pass it on to someone before I ever knew I was carrying the virus.

Personal opinion of course...

Patricia

I got mine Oct 28 -- and waited in line THREE HOURS to get it. I have asthma, and whenever I get the flu it goes straight to my lungs. I started getting the seasonal flu shot yearly about nine years ago and in that time I may have gotten the flu twice. Had plenty of colds, but not the flu.

I am unconcerned about the safety of the vaccine -- A flu shot is a flu shot. The selection of viruses they include in the seasonal vaccine is different every year, and they all get the same amount of testing. Had they known about it sooner, H1N1 would have been included in the regular old "seasonal vaccine" mix. So, now instead of just having to get just the one seasonal shot, you have to get two. You have the inconvenience and expense of taking off work early twice and paying twice.

Just a quick question after reading FeatherHen's reply...

Do you have to pay for the H1N1 vaccination in the US? Even if you are immuno-suppressed or fit into a category they suggest be vaccinated?

In Canada anyone and everyone that wants the shot will be getting it free of charge. The only stipulation being that those who are not in a high risk group wait to be immunized until at-risk people are done.

Seasonal is the same....if your Dr. recommends you be done (for health reasons...) or you work in the health care field, you don't pay. If you are an other-wise healthy person who choses to get the seasonal flu shot it will cost you $20. Being home health care I have never had to pay for a flu shot.

Patricia

Just a quick question after reading FeatherHen's reply...

Do you have to pay for the H1N1 vaccination in the US? Even if you are immuno-suppressed or fit into a category they suggest be vaccinated?

Patricia

Hi, Canada:

The answer to your question: It depends!

I got mine free -- but I had to wait in line for three hours with a couple thousand other people to get it. If you want the shot at no cost here you must pay for it with your time. You have to get there early and be prepared to stand in line for hours. There are a lot of people who fall into high-risk groups that simply aren't willing to do that.

My GP told me flat out two-months ago that he's not going to offer the vaccine and that if I'm interested, I should contact my county health department.

I would have preferred to pay for the vaccine and been spared the hell of standing in that line; however the usual outlets that sell vaccinations such as pharmacies and so forth won't have any vaccine until late November at best. I didn't want to risk the wait.

I'm at high risk. I'm planning on talking to a PCP as soon as I can about it. But I don't have a PCP right now...