Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you take your Bandages off?

I had surgery on Monday, and have given myself hooker baths since then, but haven't taken a shower :sad:

I am afraid to take my bandages off, and am afraid to really even look at them - I am such a wuss.

The pain has gotten better every day, I am still a bit gassy, I've got the shoulder gas pains... From what I can tell there is quite a bit of bruising around my incisions.

How long did it take for you to take your bandages off?

I only had 1 bandage cause one of the dermabonded incisions didn't dry well and that bandage was secured with waterproof tape so I was able to shower (without scrubbing my stomach) 2 days after my surgery. Guess you should ask your Dr.

I was able to shower two days after surgery as long as I didn't scrub over the bandages. Pat the bandages when drying.

I had Dermabond, the nurse who discharged me told me not to get them too wet and to not face the oncoming Water in the shower. Then when I went to my follow up on Wednesday they told me that she was wrong and that I as allowed to take a real shower. I was told that I could gently wash them and then pat them dry once I am out of the shower. It felt good to take a real shower again!

Ha! hooker bath. I like to call them a "whore bath!" Funny.

I was able to shower 48 hrs later. You just have to be careful not to let the Water pound on your in

Incision.

Get in there and wash up.. you will feel much better.!

If you have tape on the cuts, don't take them off just pat them dry, and let them fall off by themselves.

Hope this helps!

If you have small pieces of tape directly on your incitions, these are called steri-strips and should stay on until they fall off (mine lasted about a week). If you have larger pieces of gauze taped to your belly, those can come off after a day or two. Its fine to shower after a day or two, but don't let the Water hit directly on your belly. Also, be aware of how you are washing/drying. For instance, use a washrag, not a loofah, and wash your belly before "dirtier" areas. Also use a clean towel after each shower and dry your belly first.

My doctor insisted that I just leave them as is until they fall off . . . they stayed for a couple of weeks and healed up perfectly.

I only had 3 incisions.. my belly button and two on my torso... and the stitches were covered w/steri-strips.. which fall off when they are ready... I was allowed to take a shower the very next day... told to wash w/antibacterial soap and not to scrub the area.. just gently wash....

I had surgery on Monday, and have given myself hooker baths since then, but haven't taken a shower :sad:

I am afraid to take my bandages off, and am afraid to really even look at them - I am such a wuss.

The pain has gotten better every day, I am still a bit gassy, I've got the shoulder gas pains... From what I can tell there is quite a bit of bruising around my incisions.

How long did it take for you to take your bandages off?

I had my banding Tuesday 10/27 and the next day before I left the hospital they took off the bandages and let me shower there. I have staples that they will take out on Monday along with the steri stripes. My doctor said we can shower not take bath and then after pat dry or dry with a blowdryer (which makes the area feel good). My port incision is the only one still oozing a little so I keep a gauze pad over it and replace after showering with some neosporin. You do need to use antibacterial soap though to kill any germs.

Hope this helps.

I had my surgery on Tuesday, the 18th of August, 2009 and was allowed to take a full shower the next day once discharged from the hospital. I had 5 incisions all covered with steri-strips. I was told to leave the steri-strips on until they fall off. However, I was sent home with an On-Q pain ball inserted into one of my incisions that I had to pull out myself once at home. My surgeon did say NOT to take a bath until he saw me at my 2 week post-op appointment. I was a little afraid of taking a shower with my incisions, but it felt really good. It's also a good idea to wash your belly with ONLY soap and Water, and pat dry. The steri-strips didn't peel off at all and I ended up taking them off at about 1 week post-op.

I had the Dermabond also. It is Great Stuff!! The doc said I could take a shower (not bath) the day after surgery, but that I should use anti-bacterial soap and not "scrub". He said that I should not try to pull the Dermabond off, but that it would come off by itself. It did! and I am glad that I didn't have to go back in to have staples removed!!! Hooray!!!

You guys will be happy to know I finally took a shower quite a few days ago. There are bandages on top of steri-strips and I have left the steri-strips on. Tomorrow is my first week follow up appointment, I think he will re-dress the incisions.

The steri strips usually peel up and kind of curl at the ends...you can just trim that as it happens until they are all gone.I also only had the Dermabond and could shower whenever.

Ha Ha ha! Hooker Bath...I love it :scared2: