Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food list answer yes or no please

Well I am trying to figure out what this is going to be like? I see some people eat sandwiches, Pasta, soda pop and I hear that these are no no's. I am trying to see what my everyday life may be like and how I am going to cook for an unbanded family. Please answer yes or no I will try and make this easy so you can cut and paste....

1. bread

2. Pasta

3. Pop

4. Tortillas

5. salad

6. Steak

7. Roast

8. Cereal

9. Hamburger

10. pizza

11. Apples

12. chips

13. cheese

14. Shrimp

15. pop corn

16. pretzels

I do realize that Protein, veggies, and fruits come first, and I cant see how there will be room for anything else but I am just wondering how this works

Also if you go out somewhere and need something quick and only fast food is available what would you order? Could you order a Mc Donalds hamburger and just eat the meat? Would this be ok on a very occasional basis?? Thanks for the input Jill

1. Bread-yes

2. Pasta-yes

3. Pop-nope...unless it's flat and only a small sip when really thirsty

4. Tortillas-corn, yes. tostitos, yes. flour, small bites, not much, too risky for me.

5. Salad-no problem

6. Steak-cut small (as if for my 2yo) and well-chewed

7. Roast-pot roast? small bites, well chewed

8. Cereal-yes

9. Hamburger-yes, and the bun, 1/2 is plenty

10. Pizza-yep, 2 slices tops

11. Apples-peeled, yes

12. Chips-way too easy to eat

13. Cheese-yep

14. Shrimp-surprisingly, yes. I avoided it in the beginning but now it's fine, well-chewed. I don't eat much though, or often

15. Pop corn-yep

16. Pretzels-ah yes...but they are pretty dry so just a few

I drove through Wendy's the other day and got a 99cent box of 5 chicken nuggets w/ BBQ Sauce. I can also eat the chili at Wendys, and the side salads but it's hard in the car (that's not a band related answer, though!) I have eaten a Wendy's single with everything, I just don't snarf it down like I used to and I spit out the unchewable bits...yuck. Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich...add the packet of mayo for moisure and take small bites. The waffle fries are no good unless they are crispy with lots of ketchup...wasted calories in my view. McDonalds burgers and salads, all fine.

Other people with tighter restriction might can't eat all this. They are probably losing faster than me, too. Oh well. I eat fast food MAYBE once a week. Less than that most times. But, in a pinch, no problem.

Being banded, how you eat is more important than what you eat. If you want to lose weight faster...take better care for what you eat.

Being banded has not cramped my style at all. It was an adjustment at first, but it's all good now.

Good luck!

There really is no "easy" answer here, because what is true 3 months out won't be true six months out or nine months out or twelve months out or after a fill or before a fill or whatever. The whole POINT of being banded is that it's progressive, changeable, individual, and personalized. People make choices about how tight they want to be, how much of whatever food they want to eat, and whether they need a fill after XX amount of time. All anyone can do with this list is answer for themselves at one particular point in time. So here are my answers, more than two years out:

1. Bread Yes, but I only have a little because it fills me up quickly.

2. Pasta Yes, but I only have a little because it fills me up quickly.

3. Pop I stay away from carbonated beverages because a) my doctor told me to, and :) they're very uncomfortable to drink.

4. Tortillas Yes, but I only have a little because it fills me up quickly. (Crispy tortillas, not so quickly.)

5. salad YES, and I love it.

6. Steak Has to be VERY tendert. I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with it, so I mostly avoid it.

7. Roast See steak.

8. Cereal Recently been able to eat more of this. I couldn't for a long time; it just filled me up totally after a couple of bites.

9. Hamburger Sure, but without the roll.

10. pizza Not worth it, but I can eat almost a whole piece.

11. Apples Yep, chewed well.

12. chips Yep, but I try to steer clear due to their addictive nature.

13. cheese YES! A dietary staple.

14. Shrimp Yes, but again, it has to be chewed carefully.

15. Pop corn Yes, never had a problem with this.

16. pretzels Too dry, not comfortable to eat.

Also if you go out somewhere and need something quick and only fast food is available what would you order? Could you order a Mc Donalds hamburger and just eat the meat? Would this be ok on a very occasional basis??

Now I can eat fast-food salads with no problem, or I go for the chicken strips. This is just because fast-food hamburger is not, to my palate, edible without the bun.

1. bread only if toasted

2. Pasta only if drenched in some kind of sauce

3. Pop never, against Drs rules and dont like it anyway

4. Tortillas ok if crispy as in a quesidilla

5. salad in small amounts

6. Steak cut into small pieces

7. Roast as long as it isnt dry

8. Cereal (havent tried yet)

9. Hamburger no way bad expierience with it after my 2nd fill. still sore from it

10. pizza nope.... :)

11. Apples ok if chewed well

12. chips no trying to stay away from old habbits (sure they will go down ok but just want to avvoid them)

13. cheese ok and a great source of Protein

14. Shrimp ok if chewed well

15. pop corn (havent tried yet)

16. pretzels (ok but chew them well)

1. bread - not a big bread eater; hard rolls or toast periodically

2. Pasta - whole wheat Pasta

3. Pop - over ice when I'm out of the country

4. Tortillas - hard shells

5. salad - I hate lettuce but I eat raw vegetables with hummus, spinach,

6. Steak - yes

7. Roast - yes

8. Cereal - haven't tried

9. Hamburger - the meat

10. pizza - haven't tried

11. Apples - yuck

12. chips - yes

13. cheese - yes

14. Shrimp - yes

15. pop corn - yes - way too often

16. pretzels - yes

Fast foods - chicken strips, popcorn shrimp, tacos, cheddar-bratwurst (well chewed)

Well I am not quite 5 months out, and this is what I can/cannot tolerate:

1. Bread-NO WAY

2. Pasta-NO WAY

3. Pop-won't even try it

4. Tortillas-yes, but crunchy only

5. Salad-yes and love them !

6. Steak-very small/rare/tender

7. Roast-don't like it

8. Cereal-yes

9. Hamburger-about 1/2 without the bun

10. Pizza-hmm, 1 slice minus the crust

11. Apples-yes

12. Chips-unfortunately, yes

13. Cheese-ABSOLUTELY

14. Shrimp-YUCK

15. Pop corn-afraid to try

16. Pretzels-yes

Hope this helps

1. bread - for me, only in the evenings (my band is looser in the evenings) & only if it is taken in small bites & chewed very very well!

2. Pasta - with lots of sauce, but it fills me up quickly too!

3. Pop - I wasn't told not to like a lot of the others, but taking everyone's advice, I mostly steer clear of it

4. Tortillas - I actually do these better than bread, but they fill me up fast

5. salad - no problem

6. Steak - has to be tender with some kind of sauce & chewed very slowly & carefully (tiny little swallows when through chewing)!

7. Roast - actually haven't tried it, sorry!

8. Cereal - not in the mornings (band is too tight), but it is doable in the evenings.

9. Hamburger - not a problem

10. pizza - sometimes I can & sometimes I can't (Iwouldn't suggest it though, bad habit to get started)

11. Apples - no problem if peeled

12. chips - no problem (which is not good! The deep fried crunchy stuff is easy to eat)

13. cheese - no problem

14. Shrimp - no problem

15. pop corn - can't

16. pretzels - can't

Also if you go out somewhere and need something quick and only fast food is available what would you order? Could you order a Mc Donalds hamburger and just eat the meat?

I try to stick with some sort of Protein or salad. I can't eat potatoes, mashed or baked, so I really just try not to eat out for lunch. If I eat a couple of bites of something in the mornings, then by lunch time I can pretty much eat just about anything. It helps to loosen my band. I figured this out last week. I was able to eat a huge piece of pizza & half a ham & cheese calzone (warning: I gained 7 lbs last week! But since then I have lost 10 more.) If I had to eat out for lunch, I would go for chicken strips or nuggets with a sauce. That's for something from a drive-thru. Soup or chili is always good too.

There really is no "easy" answer here, because what is true 3 months out won't be true six months out or nine months out or twelve months out or after a fill or before a fill or whatever. The whole POINT of being banded is that it's progressive, changeable, individual, and personalized. People make choices about how tight they want to be, how much of whatever food they want to eat, and whether they need a fill after XX amount of time. All anyone can do with this list is answer for themselves at one particular point in time.

Totally agree with this statement! This is absolutely true!!!

This is helpful and I understand it is a process- I really didnt think about that-- Mostly I am worried about breakfast! doesnt that sound funny-- I get really really sick of eggs! I always eat way to many carbs for breakfast-- cereal, toast with peanutbutter are some of my favorites. I will do slimfast in the morning or a Protein Bar sometime. Is this ok??? I think I can do Protein Shakes with fruit alot when I am sick of eggs but what else do you eat for Breakfast?

cereal, toast with peanutbutter are some of my favorites. I will do slimfast in the morning or a Protein bar sometime. Is this ok??? I think I can do Protein shakes with fruit alot when I am sick of eggs but what else do you eat for breakfast?

cereal with milk is good, as tolerated. PButter toast is great! Slimfast...good or get a higher Protien content drink. Plain old CIB or Boost is a good Meal Replacement...just know that the liquid calories will go on through and may not leave you satisfied until lunch. Grilled chicken breast for breakfast...it doesn't have to be your typical breakfast food. chicken salad. Egg salad on crackers. cheese and triscuits. Try anything, get creative. Eat what you want that also makes your band work it's best.

Sometimes we want to overthink it all. It ain't rocket science, and thank the Lord, because I'd be lost for sure. You have the knowledge, just slowly, ever so slowly, start practicing stuff. You and your band make a great team!!!

1. Bread-Nope, once a week I eat a piece of toasted wheat toast

2. Pasta-Yes, well cooked

3. Pop (coke?)-NO!!! not at all

4. Tortillas- Corn only

5. Salad- OH YES

6. Steak-Yes, Small well chewed bites (and its still hard to eat sometimes)

7. Roast- No, too greasy for me

8. Cereal-Yes

9. Hamburger-Yes, but without the top bun and very few veggies

10. Pizza-Yes, but not much (kinda too greasy)

11. Apples-Yes

12. Chips-Yes

13. Cheese-YES

14. Shrimp-Yes, been eating boiled, broiled, and grilled shrimp like crazy

15. Pop corn-No

16. Pretzels-Havent tried

In reality you have to kinda taste test somethings to see if they are comfy for YOU to eat. I have a problem with grilled chicken breast, but some people live by it. My best advice is if your doctor says you cant have it, then dont eat it.

1. bread - Yes, on occassion but only a small amount

2. Pasta - Yes, but such a small amount it isn't worth it

3. Pop - No, I haven't even tried

4. Tortillas - Yes, easier for me than most breads

5. salad - Yes

6. Steak - Yes

7. Roast - Yes, but I find there are better meat choices for me.

8. Cereal - Yes

9. Hamburger - Yes, but not all of the bun

10. pizza - Yes, but only thin crust

11. Apples - Yes, very slowly and chew, chew, chew

12. chips - Yes, no problem

13. cheese - Yes

14. Shrimp - Yes, one of my favorites

15. pop corn - Yes, but very small bites (like one piece at a time)

16. pretzels - No, I haven't tried

1. bread - Yes

2. Pasta - Yes

3. Pop - No

4. Tortillas - Yes, if I eat them very, very slowly

5. salad - Yes

6. Steak - Yes, in very tiny bites

7. Roast - Haven't tried yet

8. Cereal - Haven't tried yet

9. Hamburger - Half of the burger with the bottom bun only

10. pizza - Yes, one piece without the crust

11. Apples - Haven't tried yet

12. chips - No, I'm incapable of eating them slowly enough and they hurt my stomach

13. cheese - Yes, I have cheese almost every day

14. Shrimp - I don't like shrimp

15. pop corn - Surprisingly, I can eat a ton of popcorn with absolutely no restriction... a mystery

16. pretzels - Haven't tried yet

1. bread - VERY LITTLE AND TOAST IS BETTER

2. Pasta - VERY SLOW AND CHEWED WELL

3. Pop - NOPE- DR. SAID NO AND NEW STOMACH SAID NO!!

4. Tortillas - YES BOTH KINDS ARE FINE BUT AM CAREFUL

5. salad - I CAN'T SEEM TO TOLERATE LETTUCE :)

6. Steak HAVEN'T TRIED

7. Roast -A BIG NO!!!

8. Cereal - YES

9. Hamburger - meat AND 1/2 BUN EATEN SLOW AND SMALL BITES

10. pizza - YES BUT I MOSTLY JUST EAT THE TOPINGS AND SOME OF THE SOFTER CRUST.

11. Apples - YES

12. chips - YEA THEY GO DOWN WAY TOO GOOD

13. cheese - YES

14. Shrimp - YUCK, YUCK ,YUCK!!!

15. pop corn - YES

16. pretzels -OMG NO. GOT ONE STUCK JUST THIS WEEK! OUCH! :)

Since banding I haven't really gone to fast food. If I do I usually just order a chocolate shake and it fills me up. I did eat out a lot when I went to Vegas last month but I had burgers without the bun or 1/2 of it and no fries. I can't do onion rings anylonger. I also had the new chicken fries at BK. They went down ok if I remember i'm a bandster and take small bites!! Remembering I am a bandster is hard sometimes but them my band reminds me. OUCH!!!

1. bread --> NO (very few times)

2. Pasta --> NO NO

3. Pop ---> i can't say (i'm 8 days off diet coke)

4. Tortillas ---> NO, reason: empty calories!

5. salad ---> YES, (chew em properly, attention in peel of tomato)

6. Steak ---> YES if its juicy and chew very very well

7. Roast ---> YES if its juicy and chew very very well

8. Cereal ---> YES

9. Hamburger ---> NO, reason: too Fatty

10. pizza ---> NO, reason: too Fatty

11. Apples ---> YES but without the peel

12. chips ---> NO

13. cheese ---> YES YES!

14. Shrimp ---> YES

15. pop corn ---> NO

16. pretzels ---> NO, reason: empty calories!