Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on Sep 3rd and first fill (2cc) 6 weeks later. My weight loss has so far been extremely successfull- 305Lbs surgery day and 276Lbs 6 weeks later (15 additional Lbs during the two week pre-opp diet). I now have been eating occassional bread. My question is it common to feel like one will vommit after bread or feel like it is stuck. In the first 6 weeks, I had no PBs but have a few times since the fill. It seems like bread and rice does it to me. I guess logic says to give it up but, I am looking for input (I obviously like bread and rice).

Thanks

bread didn't bother me until my 3rd fill so I understand what you are saying... It is just hit and miss with me. I haven't had rice since sugery in June now that I think about it... So not sure on that one... Pasta was a little slow to go down since my 3rd fill also... I have noticed that toast does not bother me at all...

good luck and great job on the weight loss! wasn't it wonderful to hit the "2's" I am 18 pounds away! Never thought I would be happy to be 299!

I have had bread get "stuck". My surgeon says that bread seems to be one of the things most people have trouble with. He says that bread forms a "dough ball" and you will have the urge to drink Water to help "wash" it down. He says that whatever you do, do not drink as it will just pool up on top of the dough ball and make things worse.

I asked him what I should do when bread is stuck and he said to get up and walk around, hold your arms over you head, and be patient because the bread will sooner or later pass on through.

Not fun!!

I was banded on 23 September, haven't had my first fill yet and cannot, repeat, cannot handle bread or toast! It gets stuck and is very painful. Bernard (that's my band, by the way) hates bread and lets me know very quickly that he is not happy :cursing: He also dislikes chicken of any kind. Boy, I can hardly wait until my first fill to find out what else he dislikes. I have not tried rice, so am not sure what would happen there. My suggestion is to give yourself a little time and then, if you want to try it again, go very, very slowly and chew very, very well. I certainly hate it when I get stuck. The pain is not pretty! :cursing:

Elgrad

OMG!!!! I have been having same issues with the rice and bread and they both are staple food for us. I am very careful to eat slowly with bread but rice its a different story. I have to mix yogurt with my rice to eat otherwise it gets stuck. I had 2 episodes of sliming and both have been on the rice and the bread.

Rice has been removed from my diet since getting the band. I have tried many ways and never succeeded without pain being involved.

bread works well for me if it's toasted and I eat slow. You might also try Oroweat's Sandwich thins. They've worked pretty well. Regular sandwich bread is a definite owie.

When you were a kid, did you ever take out the center of a slice of bread and squeeze it into a "dough ball"? Well, when you chew up a bite of bread the same thing (sort of) happens. Many days, I cannot tolerate bread at all. On some, as long as it's not slice of bread, I'm fine with it.

Toast it, eat whole grain baked crackers (I'm really fond of the new Kelloggs Special K Crackers (17 crackers = 90 cals). Eat other breads, like cornbread.

Rice I have no problem with, but a lot of bandsters do. Now, admittedly, I don't just boil up some rice. Plain rice is somewhat sticky and just looks like a problem waiting to happen. I cook my rice with granulated chicken bouillon added to the Water. Different texture, great taste without other additions..

I love bread and rice and potatoes. I can't eat them though. They always get stuck. I find I no longer crave these things though so I just don't eat them.

Donna

Great input all. THanks!

I think the simple solution for me is to give it up (at least for a number of months).

I don't even touch bread.... i love it...but, the way it bloats up after drinking Fluid... that is an accident just waiting to happen. LOL

The thing with me is before I had the surgery I never craved sweets like cake, ice cream, etc.

Now that I don't eat bread and gave up sugar.... I crave chocolate and ice cream so bad now.

I eat ice cream but because it actually is the only thing that satisfies me. But, it is the worst thing to eat because of the nutrients/sugar, etc.

I try making a power milk... with just a tad Protein and some type of flavoring...

I do miss hamburgers...that is the one thing i'm like man...if only i could chomp down on one hamburger...just a big 'ol bite. LOL

Edited by creed2474

I ordered a burger the other night, a real one, not some McDonalds crap. I've been craving one so badly lately for some reason.

It came and of course it was HUGE, and had a pile of chips with it too. I didnt even touch the bun, I ate it with a knife and fork - the bacon, the egg, the pineapple and about 1/4 of the actual burger. it was sooooooo goood.

of course I got asked what was wrong with it when the waitress took my plate. I dont often order things like that becuase they're just so enormous but sometimes you have to have a bit of what you're craving.

I couldnt even THINK of eating the bread with that, there's just no way it would happen. But I can eat a small sandwich with the crusts cut off, toast, and rice an Pasta are no problem for me. But they're all 'harder' or 'riskier' foods that I dont crave nearly as much these days.