Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought band was different...........

I had a completely different idea when I got my band. I knew that I would have to really watch what I eat, not just for calories but also for the ease in which I can get them down. I have now had my band for two months, and have not had my first fill yet. My weight before surgery was 374, and I weighed 352 when I went to the doctor for my six four weeks check up. Still no fill, so waiting again. I go back to the doctor on Thursday, and should get my first fill. My weight now is 332, and I don't really have any restriction at all. I have had to really watch what I eat every mouthful because I know I don't have restriction, and I get hungry a lot! I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, some type of Protein and a small sugar free pudding for lunch, and then more protein and a veggie for supper. It is hard, but it can be done. I am very surprised that I have not been meaner to everyone around me, because I do get really hungry! Hang in there, you can do it!:(

xavier, I do not eat fish that's why I have more challenge getting in the Protein. I tried boiled eggs and it got stuck for almost 2 hrs and I was miserable. May be I should try egg salad. I have restarted eating cottage cheese and veggie burgers which dont bother me. I am going to start eating more lentils too which has tons of Protein.< /p>

i

ESV, I know its not as healthy but I put kind of a lot of mayo in the egg salad and in my tuna or I cant get it down...I know its a lot of fat and cals but I am eating such small portions I dont think its that bad. I have tried lite and low fat mayo and I just cant stand them!! I really want to pick up that premade quinoa salad today...I love that stuff and its very easy to eat. Do you also eat falafel and hummus?

xavier, I was thinking about putting low fat mayo in my egg salad even though I don't like it but it will at least help go down the eggs. I never tried quinoa salad but I love falafel and hummus. I am not eating falafel and hummus bcoz I thought falafel is deep fried and hummus has lot of oil in it.

My main problem is I still dont have good restriction so I can eat 2cups of food easily every 2-3 hrs and that's why I am not losing any weight. I have started to do workout 3x/wk and get another fill on nov 18th which might help!

esv2000, you might want to consider adding unflavored Protein powder to some of your foods. I imagine it would mix well into some Indian dishes. Also, although I don't know the names, I love Indian food, so try to stick with the ones that have chickpeas, lentils, tofu, and that yummy farmer's (?) cheese (with the spinach). I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein Powder and mix it into almost anything. I'm unable to taste it at all. Just make sure the food isn't too hot when you mix it in, or the powder will clump up. Otherwise, it's a great way to add 20 g. of Protein to each meal.

Also, if you are able to eat 2+ cups of food every 2-3 hours, you need a fill now, not a month from now. You should call your doc and let him/her know that you are eating that much and still getting hungry. That means you are still in the "yellow zone," where you are eating too much and hungry too often. I know, because I have had a lot of problems with being in the yellow zone! Be your own best advocate and speak up and tell your doctor what you need and what you want. :(

You are on the right track. You know now that the LapBand is not a magic bullet. It just helps you with the hunger. You have to do the rest. It's the hardest thing I've ever done to lose weight! But, I'm really glad I did it. Hang in there! :thumbup::thumbup:

ESV2000 - hang in there! I had a problem getting enough Protein in the beginning as well. One product I found that worked well for me was a Protein Drink called, "New Whey". It comes in test-tube shaped container and is 3 ounces. However in those 3 ounces is 42 grams of protein. The flavor I like is fruit punch. It honestly tastes like a melted popsicle; kinda thick. It is very sweet. Trust me, it's not my favorite thing to eat in the world and it doesn't replace candy....but it's only 3 ounces. I find I can suck it up and drink the 3 ounces in order to get the 42 grams of protein. Because it is so thick it coats the pouch in your stomach and keeps you feeling full for quite a while. I usually get it a GNC store, but you can also find it at gyms or online.

Just a suggestion, might help you get some more protein in your diet.

Best of luck!!

Well sometimes I make my own hummus in the blender but there may be a low fat one. Also I buy falafel dry in the box to make at home and I just roll the balls around the fry pan with Pam spray. I really believe I am not on a diet so I kingd of disregard the calories and just focus on portion size which actually my band does for me. I wish we could all get fills whenever we want. My doc gets pretty full schedule wise but I can cal and slide in on a cancellation and they seem to like that. Also since I drive 4 hours down to LA and have no idea if the drive time might be double if theres bad traffic I make an appt for 1:00 nd then if I arrive at 11;00 am I just go in and they always slide me right in..the whole thing takes five minutes...also ( I hope this doesnt sound bad) I bring the staff those really fancy caramel apples from Rocky Mountain!They tease me that I brough caramel and chocolate to an obesity clinic (but they're all thin) but I say, "Hey, there's an apple in there!!"

I think it is a shame that you were misinformed about the band. I don't think that your doctor and nutritionists did the orientation of the band. One of the reasons I chose the band over bypass was because I needed to do some of the work. The band is supposed to be a leg up, not a cure. I know it is difficult, but it is possible. Hang in there.