Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Simple Poll - If you had it to do over...

If you had it (surgery) to do over again, would you?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If you had it (surgery) to do over again, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure - jury is still out.

I would do it again in a heart beat! I paid 18,500 for my lapband and I would pay it again no matter what! I am below my goal and scheduled for my Tummy Tuck and breast lift on Thursday Nov. 19 yes in a couple of days!!! This is the best thing I have ever done. I reached goal in just about a year. :biggrin:

post-240908-13813138875395_thumb.jpg

post-240908-13813138875679_thumb.jpg

No I would have gone for the bypass. I have had too many problems with the band. ANd it has to be removed. I am scheduled to have a bypass in January.

Yes Yes Yes!! It was the best thing I ever did,it has its moments of tough times,but I would do it again in an instant!

ABSOLUTELY! I could never have maintained my weight loss without the band. It has taken me off the up and down roller coaster. I love my band!

As of today I would say it was a pretty sound decision. Before the surgery I had lost all willpower to lose weight because I knew I would just gain all the weight back plus some. Although I've lost a conservative 35 lbs in 6 mos, I would have struggled to keep it off without the band. After you've healed, it's an easier way to lose weight, but there is not a day that goes by that I forget it's there. I'm just concerned about what the long term effects of having it will be.

I'd do it again without a minutes hesitation! I only wish I had it done 10 years ago! I'm 10 weeks post op and down nearly 60 lbs!

I just had the band removed so I think yes I wouldve done it again if it hadnt slipped. Unfortunately the doctor cant put in another one and wants to do a bypass instead. I think my band had slipped very early on and thats why I had limited success with it. I am sort of up in the air as to whether I shouldve just gone right to gastric bypass.

Did your doctor give you a reason why he would not install another band? I would think that after you heal for a few months he should be able to do another band. You may want to get a second opinion if a band is what you really want.

You know I have been thinking of doing just that. He says in his experience people who have been banded for a second time are very often unsuccessful the second time around. He said they very often dont get to their goal weight, sometimes dont lose any more weight and oftentimes have slippage again. I have also heard other people say that they have come across people who have been successful the second time around. So thank you for suggesting a second opinion. I think I will do just that.

Did your doctor give you a reason why he would not install another band? I would think that after you heal for a few months he should be able to do another band. You may want to get a second opinion if a band is what you really want.

I just replied to your message and then noticed you have been rebanded. Can you share your re band experiences with me?

In my case I was banded and things seemed to be going well for a couple months. Then I did not have much restriction even though I was going in for adjustments every month. Finally, after months of that I met with the surgeon and he was alarmed that at 19cc' I still had no restriction. He sent me for an upper GI. The results showed that the band was in perfect position but the barium was not going down the center of the band as you would expect. Suspects erosion. Next I get an EGD (camera down the throat) and they see no erosion but they are able to run the camera through my band. Now to put this in perspective the openning with 19cc's in should be like a pin hole but they could put the camera through! The camera is about as big around as your pinky finger! So, the surgeon concluded that there was something wrong with the band and it needed to come out. After the surgery to remove it I found out I had an erosion. My erosion was unique though in the fact tha instead of the band working into my stomach it actually came out the side of the pouch and left very little scaring. They wanted to do a bypass on me after I healed but I asked the surgeon to do some research. He did and after all that he said that he felt that a band was possible again although he did not feel confident giving me any success statistics. So, I started the process again but proceeded in a way that would allow either a band or bypass (to be decided by my surgeon once I was on the operating table) to be done. The surgeon knew I would prefer a band. He warned me that the pouch would have to be bigger (harder to lose weight) or smaller since they could not place it in the same location. I don't know which way they went (he was planning to go smaller if possible) but I came out of the operation with a band. So far all has been well.

In my case I was banded and things seemed to be going well for a couple months. Then I did not have much restriction even though I was going in for adjustments every month. Finally, after months of that I met with the surgeon and he was alarmed that at 19cc' I still had no restriction. He sent me for an upper GI. The results showed that the band was in perfect position but the barium was not going down the center of the band as you would expect. Suspects erosion. Next I get an EGD (camera down the throat) and they see no erosion but they are able to run the camera through my band. Now to put this in perspective the openning with 19cc's in should be like a pin hole but they could put the camera through! The camera is about as big around as your pinky finger! So, the surgeon concluded that there was something wrong with the band and it needed to come out. After the surgery to remove it I found out I had an erosion. My erosion was unique though in the fact tha instead of the band working into my stomach it actually came out the side of the pouch and left very little scaring. They wanted to do a bypass on me after I healed but I asked the surgeon to do some research. He did and after all that he said that he felt that a band was possible again although he did not feel confident giving me any success statistics. So, I started the process again but proceeded in a way that would allow either a band or bypass (to be decided by my surgeon once I was on the operating table) to be done. The surgeon knew I would prefer a band. He warned me that the pouch would have to be bigger (harder to lose weight) or smaller since they could not place it in the same location. I don't know which way they went (he was planning to go smaller if possible) but I came out of the operation with a band. So far all has been well.

Dan..thank you so much for your response. One question...why were they waiting until you were on the operating table to decide whether you were getting a band or a bypass? My problem is that I have had several abdominal surgeries which might make a bypass op more difficult. Forgive me if I am asking too many questions.

They waited to make the decision because the surgeon wanted to re-inspect everything after I had healed for serveral months. He was going to try for the band but if conditions were not good for banding he was going to go with the bypass. Evidently he found everything in good working order. :tongue:

They waited to make the decision because the surgeon wanted to re-inspect everything after I had healed for serveral months. He was going to try for the band but if conditions were not good for banding he was going to go with the bypass. Evidently he found everything in good working order. :tongue:

I like your surgeon better than mine. My surgeon is a foreigner who has a hard time or just isnt good at communicating to me EXACTLY what the problems are. He kind of takes the approach of dont worry ..I know what I am doing kind of thing. I saw him for about one second before the removal and didnt see him or hear from him after surgery so I dont know what he saw or didnt see. I feel he is very much lacking in alot of areas although I think as a surgeon he is skilled. Well I would be interested to hear how you progress with your weight loss. I hope you do very well and get to your goal. You have been very kind to answer all of my questions!!! Happy Holidays to you!

Happy Holidays to you as well! I hope your next surgery (whichever it is) goes well. Feel free to ask me questions any time.