Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Simple Poll - If you had it to do over...

If you had it (surgery) to do over again, would you?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If you had it (surgery) to do over again, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure - jury is still out.

Yes I would do it over again! Even though I haven't lost any weight in the last 5 months due to esphageal dysmotility. My doctor will not give me a fill because when he does I suffer from nighttime reflux. I am down 70 pounds and being 30 pounds overweight is lots easier than being 100 pounds overweight. I just pray that someway I can get through the holidays without gaining any and maybe in January I can get a slight fill and lose some of the 30 pounds!! I refuse to say I am through. I still love my band!

Edited by gadumplin
mispelled words

You betcha!! I hate needles and breathing tubes, am just terrified of surgery, but I'd do it again in a New York minute!

NO no no no no no no no NO a million times NO!!! only 17 lbs down in nearly 2 years!! whats up with that??? If i had to do it over agian I would have went with a differant surgery in a heart beat!

Dang, I am getting a new post report daily from bigtom's post. What is up with that?

Dang, I am getting a new post report daily from bigtom's post. What is up with that?

Polls pop up as New Posts when someone votes. That's probably why you're getting the notices even when no new posts have been made. You can unsubscribe. Just go to the top of the thread and go to Thread Tools.

I would and did. I only had my first band a few months when I had an erosion and had it removed at almost one year from when it was installed. I gained a bunch of weight back (just to remind me that I can't do it alone). I had to wait about six months to get re-banded and now I have my second band (I am a little over a week out from surgery) and I still think it is a great idea!

Very curious Dan... how and why did your band erode? Was there an explanation/cause for this? And is there any way you could have avoided it? Thanks for any info you can provide. I will be a year out on Nov. 18th and always wonder what will happen to this aparatus inside of me down the road.

Lori

They don't know why, I guess there are a couple posibilities but nothing concrete. There was nothing I could have done to avoid or detect it. The only reason it was even suspected was that they could never adjust it tight enough to give any restriction. They finally decided to do a scope and x-rays after several months where it was over-filled and still not working. The scope showed nothing other than the fact that there was no restriction (they could pass the camera through and into my stomach when the restriction should not have allowed it). The x-rays made it look like everthing was in place and correct but the flouroscope showed the Fluid going around the band. They suspected a mechanical failure and thought it may have come unclasped. When they removed it they found that somehow it has eroded out the side of my stomach (a condition they had never heard of before) instead of into my stomach. So, it was a weird experience the first time around and I am hoping this time it is textbook normal!

Absolutely yes!!! I've been fighting this battle through most of my 30s and throughout my 40s with limited to no success. With the band, my hunger is under control, and I feel fantastic. I even hate to put this into words, but if I lost my band today, as long as it was medically feasible, like Big Dan, I would get a new one...without hesitation. This has been the perfect weight loss solution for me.

I would do this again in a heartbeat! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

NO no no no no no no no NO a million times NO!!! only 17 lbs down in nearly 2 years!! whats up with that??? If i had to do it over agian I would have went with a differant surgery in a heart beat!

Hi Tom

You must be one of the unlucky ones where the band didn't work. Most people find it works great. I wonder if there was a problem/flaw with your band. I would be hounding the doctor. I am very happy with mine, so is my husband. Nothing else has worked as well for the last 3 decades of yo yoing. It was money well spent.

Lynda :thumbup:

I had to have two surgerys, one on a Friday, in hospital for weekend and the next on Monday....all because the doctor up in a band knowing it was probably too small...and it was! Despite that and not being able to reach my goal, I would do it again RIGHT NOW! I am on no meds and wear a size 6 pants...oh yeah and I met the man of my long forgotten dreams and will be married next spring!!

I am thrilled with my band. It has worked better than all the diets and money for diet aids, books, programs, ... I love that it doesn't come back on like it always did in the past, especially the last 2 decades of my life. I am not hanging on to my fat clothes anymore. As my clothes get too big, I donate them and make more room for beautiful fitted clothes in my closet. I am so excited about my new body.

Lynda

ABSOLUTELY. I am a little over 2 weeks post op and already down 36lbs. I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Thank you to everyone who posts on here, this helps so much! I'm scheduled for my band next wednesday and I love all this positive info!!! Thanks