Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anything I should know about having a cold with the band?

I am getting sicker by the minute and can't wait to get home from work. I had lots of plans for my weekend, but it doesn't look like they're going to happen. My sinuses have are now draining into my chest and my asthma is kicking in.

Aside from the fact that I could barely get my lunch down (a Lean Cuisine with all of 240 calories) is there anything I should know about treating a cold with the band? In my pre-band days I always liked to eat a "Ding Dong" or two -- I don't know why, just made me feel better (and bigger) when I was sick. Now, not so much.

Anyone suffered through an ugly cold with the band?

Thanks Enchanted ... I'll stock up on my way home.

I just got over a cold as well. I went through some zicam (gets you through it faster)...

Drink a LOT of Water, and stock up on some Soups (preferably homemade!).

I had a very hard time eating when I was sick. I was a lot tighter than usual and ended up eating Soup for about 3 days. Might not happen with others, but I couldn't handle real food while I was sick.

Me + Cold = Tight. Happens when I get a fever/flu type illness also. Just do your liquids and as someone else mentioned, liquid meds such as DayQuil/NiteQuil.

Call your mom....that ALWAYS helps. Get well quickly!

My doctor said that when you get a cold when you have the band, your mucus tends to form a plug at the bottom of your band that can block access to your stomach. This can be melted away using hot liquids.

He said to start days with very hot tea or coffee or something of that nature, and sip it slowly. Be sure to drink hot liquids all day and keep your pouch open and clear.

Other than that, you should be fine, but if you find that your lapband is too tight, ask your doctor to unfill you.

Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, my band is tighter while I am sick ... the mucus, as I suspected. The fever has all hunger at bay.

Apples2, my mom is still alive but in a convalescent home with Alzheimer's related dementia. I wish I could call her.

It's been a long weekend being sick because I have been antsy, while at the same time I don't have enough energy to do anything. I'll be glad when it is over!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, my band is tighter while I am sick ... the mucus, as I suspected. The fever has all hunger at bay.

Apples2, my mom is still alive but in a convalescent home with Alzheimer's related dementia. I wish I could call her.

It's been a long weekend being sick because I have been antsy, while at the same time I don't have enough energy to do anything. I'll be glad when it is over!

Sorry you are sick, but I am happy for the responses I think they are helpful.

If you don't mind me asking how old is your mom?

I am a little older than you but my dad is 61 and he has rapidly progressing dementia. I am so heart wrenched. He was diagnosed little over 3 yrs ago. He needs to be home with full time care or in a home. I live cross country from him and his wife hates me....SO I am trying to get my brother or someone to send him out here with me to take care of him. His wife is dying of cancer, but is still manages working and leaves him unattended during that time, I sent social services out to check on him and he happened to be playing with a full deck that day or at least when they visited so they will not step in as they deem him able to make his own choices.

It is has been really hard for me and my grandmother(his mom) since his wife is a control freak and will not get real and be honest.

@HappyHomeCC

My mom is 89 yrs old. She is blind from diabetes and still seems to know me when I visit. It was EXTREMELY difficult to put her in a home. No one in my family on either side has ever put a parent in a home. But I was raising my sis two children and working and could not care for her. My siblings were useless. I try to appreciate that my mom is alive, but her quality of life seems lacking to me.

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I know how hard it can be. I pray a lot, it's all I can do.

Keep the faith.

@HappyHomeCC

My mom is 89 yrs old. She is blind from diabetes and still seems to know me when I visit. It was EXTREMELY difficult to put her in a home. No one in my family on either side has ever put a parent in a home. But I was raising my sis two children and working and could not care for her. My siblings were useless. I try to appreciate that my mom is alive, but her quality of life seems lacking to me.

I am sorry to hear about your dad. I know how hard it can be. I pray a lot, it's all I can do.

Keep the faith.

you are an Angel to take on your sisters children, blessings to you and your family.

My brothers are useless too. both are afraid of my dads wife. they married when I was 22. One of my brothers is homeless with his family and the other is self obsorbed. It is sad they are so close. My grandmother keeps begging one of my brothers to bring my dad to her house 4 hrs away so she can get him to a dr. we believe he is not taking his meds. etc. alot to the story, financial abuse, neglect among other things... living conditions are deplorable.

:::::::::thumbup::::::::::: all i can do is pray and have airfare for me to go get him and bring him home with me. Just waiting for a green light. I was always so close to my dad and it just breaks my heart.

thanks for your response

Hi. I'm brand new. I don't know how to post to a comment made by a person that helped answer an initial comment, but thank you to the person who said "don't let tomorrow get in the way of today" I want so much to be part of this community. i don't know anyone who has a lap band, and I feel very discouraged and alone in this process. I was"banded" 3 weeks ago. Thanks in advance everyone.:(

I just had the flu with pneumonia last month. I did all of the above. I consumed basically just fluids for about 3 days. I also drank lattes and hot chocolate for the warmth and Protein from the skim milk. I wasn't on liquid meds, just capsules, but I can see how NyQuil would be good.

Thanks everyone!

I am sooooooo sorry I made that impulsive statement earlier about calling your mom.

Sounds like it is not an easy situation with your mother and wishing you the best.

Hi. I'm brand new. I don't know how to post to a comment made by a person that helped answer an initial comment, but thank you to the person who said "don't let tomorrow get in the way of today" I want so much to be part of this community. i don't know anyone who has a lap band, and I feel very discouraged and alone in this process. I was"banded" 3 weeks ago. Thanks in advance everyone.:thumbup:

When I was thinking about getting the band I didn't know anyone either. And the only reason I do now is because of the programs at my hospital, and through the folks on here. So consider yourself friends with a lot of folks who have a band!!! Don't feel discouraged. I hate to hear that. I had a horrible first two weeks so I can totally relate. But it will get better!!! I found this board to be sooooo helpful. Not everyone's story is the same. But along the way, you will get the info you need and you can chart your course.

Good luck!! And stay focused. We're here for you!