Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2010 Bandsters????

Ok.. I'm a bit concerned. I had my pre-op appt last Friday and I have surgery this coming Wednesday. No one mentioned anything about a barium swallow or a laxative before surgery?? I'm thinking I'll call the doc's office on Monday just to make sure. Does this sound right to anyone else? :frown:

My doc required the barium swallow to rule out a hiatal hernia. To my knowledge that is the only reason he does that test. As for a laxative, my surgeon does not require that.

It can never hurt to call your docs office though. And it will give you some peace of mind.

Good luck and please post and let us know what they say.

Claricey :)

Well I am happy today....just like Just-Ice.. I had my preop appointment today where they did all the testing that needs to be done...

First of all.. BARIUM sucks!!!! However, they confirmed my hiatel hyrnia but they found pollyps (sp?).. I have to do some internet research to find out what these could be. They may want to do a scope before surgery...they are not ulcers which is good.. and they could be nothing.. but we will see on how that turns out.

But I did the gallblader ultrasound (what the heck is that for) and the chest xray (again.. why do you need that for a LAP-BAND®®)... so I am becoming more versed in what is required.

I then had my dietician appointment to discuss the pre-op diet and found out two great things....

1. I lost two more pounds... I am trying to think link a bandster thanks to this site (thank you all my Jan Band Journey members)... I truly did not "diet" persay, I am trying to make lifelong changes....small things that add up...so I am glad there were two more pounds gone.. now only a bunch more to go:):frown:

2. The second thing I found out is that I do not have a liquid pre-op diet like some do here.. I was shocked... I was preparing myself mentally to be restricted...severely restricted....well I have decided to take this as an opportunity to lose another couple.. my goal is to lose 3 more pounds before Jan 26, that will put me at 10 pound loss before surgery... I am really trying to focus on having a new mindset instead of a diet mindset....

I cannot tell you how great your stories have been everyone... I talked about this site at the doc today and mentioned how positive it is.. how it encourages success and not dwell on failures or steps backwards...

I am truly thinking that it is the comradierieship that we will have here that will make us successful.....

I decided today that I will do my official preop photo... why you ask.. because today I turned 40 and I see this year as a fantastic wonderful year....

My thoughts are with everyone that is having big milestones to conquer in January... we will support each I am sure over the next year.....

:w00t::)

Jen!!! I just read this and I wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! This is really YOUR year...40 and FABULOUS! YOU GO GIRL!! :)

Hello Everybody!

I am happy to announce that this is my very first post. I just had LAP-BAND® surgery yesterday!! I'm feeling pretty good. Just a bit sore in the area of where my port was attached. I've been sipping on broth, tea, Water and had some jell-o today for the first time. It's all been fine, but I'm starting to feel a bit lightheaded. I'm not sure if that's from the pain meds or because I'm not getting any calories in right now.

I really can't believe that I don't feel the band at all, very cool! I do feel where the port is, but from what I read that's the area that will be the sorest for the longest and then I'm hoping I won't even feel that anymore after awhile.

I'm so excited to finally get this journey started!! Any tips or helpful advice and definitely words of encouragement are welcome!!

I do need to find out how everybody gets all those little ticker things.....I want to start one to track my journey!!! :)

Welcome to the group TODDEE1099!! I'm glad your surgery went well.

Thanks for sharing your post-op experiences. I'll be checking in the hospital later this afternoon for my scheduled surgery tomorrow at 7AM.

Keep us posted on your recovery. =)

Welcome to the group TODDEE1099!! I'm glad your surgery went well.

Thanks for sharing your post-op experiences. I'll be checking in the hospital later this afternoon for my scheduled surgery tomorrow at 7AM.

Keep us posted on your recovery. =)

Good luck KIKOman. :blink: We are having surgery on the same day. I think you may be a time zone or two ahead of me here on the East coast so please post when you can and I will do the same.

I asked my surgeon about the difference between lap band and sleeve and he said "none". I'd go with whatever your surgeon is most familiar with. I'm now at the beginning of "wait" mode to see if I get insurance approval. If I don't, I'll self-pay, but I'm pretty sure they'll cover it. I really feel for the peeps who have to jump through endless hoops -- a zillion tests, months of dieting, et. ect. before they can get approval. I'm so ready to do this. In my experience there is no such thing as a stable weight. You're either dieting and it's going down sooooo slowly, or you're not dieting which means you are either slowly or quickly putting on weight. Anyone else like that??

Yes, I can lose but can't keep it off. My band date is Jan 27 it has taken me 2 years to make the decision.

This is for caymanbandit..... Hi! I noticed that you are scheduled for lapband in juarez soon. I had my band done there as well on 12-31-09, so i'm just nine days out. Dr. Rodriguez was the surgeon but he was also accompanied by another dr. With too many names to remember.....i just called him dr. Elmo. It was so much better than i had anticipated. The hospital at star medica was very nice and clean and modern. They sent a driver that picked us up at the airport who was great and took us right to the hospital where i immediately did my pre-testing and then very shortly after that i went to surgery. The anesthesiologist was dr. Leticia something.....she was very sweet and concerned that i knew she would take care of me. Afterwards you are left with the nurses on the floor and not too many speak much english, but i got by. Dr. Elmo was the one who checked on me all the time and did my fluroscopy and showed me where my band was and let me see how the barium swallow went through my pouch and how long it took and all. I was sent home with my x-rays and my band box with the serial number and my doctor notes concerning my surgery. I left on the 2nd of january, with the same driver taking me to the airport. It was a good experience. I'd be lying if i said i wasn't a bit nervous about going to juarez, but i think it's the smartest thing i've ever done. I hope you are as pleased with your experience there as i was.

Hi everyone,

Is this going to be a group? I would love to stay in touch and share stories. I will be banded this Thursday, 1/14/10. I cannot believe it's finally here! Right now I'm on the pre-op diet, so if anyone has tips about that I'd be happy to hear them. :blink:

Ok.. I'm a bit concerned. I had my pre-op appt last Friday and I have surgery this coming Wednesday. No one mentioned anything about a barium swallow or a laxative before surgery?? I'm thinking I'll call the doc's office on Monday just to make sure. Does this sound right to anyone else? :blush:

I didn't have to do any testing before surgery except for a tinkle test and blood work. They did show me the radiology room where they will do a barium swallow afterwards and they say people don't complain about it too much. Im getting very excited aren't you!

I am getting real anxious right now . . . . Tuesday, the 12th, I'll leave home around 5:30 a.m. to go to hospital for my surgery at 8:00 a.m. It has taken me close to two years to make this decision and I'm ready . . . I've been on liquid pre-op since last Sunday with three mess ups...two not bad, and one just crazy, but back on track today and will be until the surgery . . . I went to grocery store yesterday to get things for post-surgery, and as I went down the aisles, it was real sad like I was saying goodbye to good friends....is this crazy or what? I know that one I get on regular food, things can be added back . . . but it's just knowing the quantity will be decreased so much.........and the thing I'm afraid of is being hungry and somehow being less than successful....anyone else with these thoughts....it's the "what ifs" that I'm dwelling upon. :blush:

I am getting banded tomorrow, January 11. Any others scheduled around this date?

I am getting real anxious right now . . . . Tuesday, the 12th, I'll leave home around 5:30 a.m. to go to hospital for my surgery at 8:00 a.m. It has taken me close to two years to make this decision and I'm ready . . . I've been on liquid pre-op since last Sunday with three mess ups...two not bad, and one just crazy, but back on track today and will be until the surgery . . . I went to grocery store yesterday to get things for post-surgery, and as I went down the aisles, it was real sad like I was saying goodbye to good friends....is this crazy or what? I know that one I get on regular food, things can be added back . . . but it's just knowing the quantity will be decreased so much.........and the thing I'm afraid of is being hungry and somehow being less than successful....anyone else with these thoughts....it's the "what ifs" that I'm dwelling upon. :blush:

Hi Barb,

Would you like to keep in touch with each other since we get banded 1 day apart. It would be nice to have the support. :blink:

I am getting banded tomorrow, January 11. Any others scheduled around this date?

Good luck today! I'll join you in two days!!

Hello everyone. Just got banded this morning, and I'm now relaxing in my hospital room. Just want to share my experience today:

6AM - A Skin test was done to check if I have allergic reactions to the meds I will be given. Man, this one hurt!

7AM - I was given a muscle relaxant, after which they brought me to the operating room.

8AM - I was put to sleep by my anesthesiologist. The effect was quite fast.

11AM - Woke up at the recovery room, with a bloated feeling in my belly. It's like it's full of gas. I think they really had to put gas inside to make the surgery easier. The incisions didn't hurt at all. I also realized that they used compression stockings on my legs. I was told that they did the operation in a semi-seated position, so they had to put the compression stockings to prevent my blood from all going to my legs. The stockings hurt a lot, but they removed it as soon I woke up. I was also told by my anesthesiologist that the operation only took 45 mins, which was really fast.

12PM - I was brought back to the hospital room, and slept for another 3 hours.

3PM - Started walking around the room. I was light-headed for a few minutes, but the walking really helped alleviate the bloated belly feeling. I even was able to burp and pass gas while walking.

7PM - The tummy aches are almost gone. But now I feel hungry and really thirsty. No intake allowed yet, so I just used a moist towel for my dried lips.

All in all, the pain was really much tolerable that what I expected. I'll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow morning. I will also start my liquid diet tomorrow.Can't wait for that first sip of Water. I feel reallly dry now.

I am 36 yrs old and i was banded Jan7th. the experience hasnt been all that bad, but i guess in all the research I did before hand I fell short in asking the righ questions. I havent been in alot of pain, except gas and around he port, which brings my first question about acceptable methods of pain relief ie.ice pack, heating pad, when to switch from heavy pain meds (pERCOCET) to something not as strong. i also did not ask how much liquid I should intake or what to do about gas(I see now people say ex strength gaas x,but i took baby Mylicon) The gas was in my chest and seemed to last forever, even after I took Milk of Magnesia(was recommened for bowel movement). The second day I think I drank to much fliud because I was full and feeling bloated most of the day(not a good feeling).I also found the it was not good to start off with sweet things (CIB,yogurt)because it makes my stomach turn, sos Im bascically still doing, warm tea, warm Water, milk,juice. It feels like Im healing(not as much much pulling,site itching)and aside from the back pain(from sleep on my back, too much pulling laying on my side) I guess Im coming along ok.It also pays to have a great support system.....

Hi Barb,

Would you like to keep in touch with each other since we get banded 1 day apart. It would be nice to have the support. :blink:

Hey Dawn . . . absolutely band buddy!! Guess after banding, we can move our postings to the "Jan Band Journeys" location. Just-Ice had posted the link in an earlier posting!!!

Having and giving support on this site is really important to me, so I welcome my new friends!

Kikoman . . . thanks for posting your surgery experience . . . I'm wondering if my surgery is at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, what time will they let me leave the hospital . . . a friend is driving me, so having an idea on this would be good . . .:blush: