Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling, help !!!!!

Hi all

havn't posted for a long time. I had my band removed due to slippage. It was all vey traumatic, I lost part of my stomach, nearly died.

Anyhow after removal I gained around 14 lbs and have maintained that for over a year give or take a lb. However I am constantly struggling and find I only have to cheat a little to gain weight.

Can anybody offer advice, really feeling down today.

Thanks

Gaynor

Hang in there sound like you are not doing too band. Just watch what you eat and keep working out.

I am sorry you had such a problem with the ban. Hang in there!!

Gaynor, give yourself credit. I am sure you lost alot of weight with the band. You have managed to keep most of that off and know your limitations. Just knowing that any cheating has a price is something most of us forgot before.

I just lost my band 11 weeks ago and I loved my band. I am struggling to like life without it. Stopping the weight gain, trying to figure out what I can eat, and exercising are consuming my life. I hope to get where you are soon - knowing your stabized weight and how to maintain it.

Hang in there and recognize the good you have done.

I am so sorry to read your post today. I lost 85 pounds and my band slipped last July and I had to have it removed. I have not been able to lose anything since July and have gained some weight. It is so very frustrating that words cannot adequately express. I feel for you.

I still eat the same small amounts of food, exercise, go to support groups, continue to work with my therapist, watch my Protein, take small bites, etc. The only thing missing is my band.

I have researched this subject and cannot find anything that supports my theory but I feel that there is almost a rebound effect your body goes through when your band is removed.

When I told my Aunt about what I was going through she said said she thought maybe it takes a long time for your body to adjust to the band being out.

I don't know but I made the decision I want my band back. This obviously may not be the answer for you but I am scheduled for surgery for November 5. I do not want to gain all the weight I worked so hard for and I want to continue to lose weight. I was only 6 pounds from my goal to go below 200 pounds. I truly think even if I only drank Protein drinks that I could not physically do it.

I wish you well and to hang in there. Continue doing what you know works for you. I think we have to really watch what you eat even more than we did when we had the band and exercise more. I do not know the answer other than that. If anyone else is out there that is farther ahead than us, I would appreciate their advice. In the meantime, I am having a new band put in on November 5.

Hi

thanks so much for the replies, I could really do with the support right now.

I have been a bit more positive this week and have been a bit more careful with food choices.

The reason why I wouldn't have any more surgery is that when my band was removed I also lost part of my stomach, it was all very traumatic, I was told if I had been left for a few hours longer I would have died. Six weeks after band removal I was rushed back in with a bleeding Ulcer.

So I have to manage on my own from now on, I would not put my family through any more ops.

Please do keep in touch and I would also love to hear from anybody who has had there band removed at target and managed to keep the weight off long term

Take care

Gaynor

Wow, I think you've done pretty darn well in the face of some major obstacles.

For me, I find the key to not gaining is exercise. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking to become an exercise junkie. I find I can pretty much eat what I like as long as I run regularly and get to the gym for circuit classes.

Hi Jaqui

you are so right about the exercise, luckilly I walk everyday for at least 40 minutes (and have done since being banded in 2005) I also have a treadmill at home that i try to go on everyday , walking briskly for about 30-40 minutes.

I think without this I would definately regain.

This is what is so annoying, on the whole I am pretty good, I think that when I had my band it proved that the only way I can lose weight and keep it off is to eat very very little and of course this is so much harder to do when not banded.

Thanks for the reply

Gaynor X

You are doing great. I have lost my band 10 months ago. When I left hospital I was 120 Lb. This was not a healthy weight loss, but nevertheless I tried to keep it off as much as i could. 10 months latter I'm 161lb. for the last 3 months i have been exercising 3-4 days a week and watching every bite but nothing seams to work. I am scared, upset, and hopeless. I don't want to give up and I keep exercising but it's really hard when you don’t see results. I would appreciate any advice anyone might have.

hey there, so glad I jumped back into this forum. I had my band removed almost a year ago and had gotten down to 150 lbs... now i'm back up to almost 220 and freaking out. I havn't been excercinsing and I know that's the peice i've been missing. It's the only CHANGE i havn't made yet. this is really inspiring. I was feeling very alone and very detached. We can survive with out it. I'm tierd of feeling like a failure. I went through a lot with the band and was really sick before it was removed. I can't handle the idea of having another surgery for the sleeve or anything else as it's just too much and I want to get pregnant and start a family. No more elective surgeries for me. reading your stories today has made me feel so much better. thank you all so much for sharing and coming back to help support each other.