Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dieting while on lapband?

does anyone still diet while on the lap band, as in do you still take diet pills or do you still eat low fat and sugar free foods?

I'm dieting per se. I don't take diet pills. I am trying to go sugar free and low fat as much as possible. The nutritionist at the surgeon's office gave me a set of guidelines to follow on how much Protein, fat and carbs to take in each day so that I know not to go over any of them. It's a lifestyle change. the Lap Band helps me tremendously, but I still have to be disciplined about eating the right things and exercising. Talk to your nutritionist. They can help you.

If I had to go on another diet, I wouldn't have gotten the LB (been there, done the yo-yo for 20 years...very successfully...for awhile). The only thing in my house that I'd say is a 'diet' food is SF sweets (Russell Stover's chocolates, preserves, toppings, etc. and even those I don't eat often as all that 'synthetic' stuff isn't good for you. But I try to use Stevia when I can.). I actually avoid the LF stuff because I learned from doing Atkins that they replace the fat with more carbs so it tastes like something. First time I've made it past 50 pounds lost without dieting LOL! It's great.

Now I do eat very 'healthy' with lots of fresh foods.

That said, there's many here who continue to use specific diets and we all have to do what works for us.

Edited by Band_Groupie

I try to keep it low fat, but I also try to focus on eating real food. Honestly, I eat so little (compared to before) that I feel like it's healthier to eat real ingredients and forego the fake stuff.

I still have Diet Snapple Iced Tea (have been off my daily Diet Pepsi for over a year and don't even miss it, surprisingly!), and also have FF/SF Jello chocolate pudding every once in a great while. But, other than that, I try to keep it healthy and just eat real food.< /p>

Hope that helps!

Catherine

I am not about to "diet" after spending all this money on getting the band! I eat what is healthy and a lot less of it. I try to pick better things for me and stay away from the junk. I don't even eat out too much. No diet pills for me. Some almost killed me a few years ago.

Interesting question. I guess it comes down to "what do you consider a diet". Like some others in this thread, I wouldn't say that I'm a diet, per se, but I do try to eat low fat, high Protein, and squeeze in some fruit and veggies.

Considering how I used to eat pre-band, you could argue that I am kind of on a diet. Like I said, interesting question....

Diet? Not really. I mean I have made a change of eating healthier than before WLS. Eating more Protein of course. I try and stay away from sugar and refined carbs by choice. Since we eat so little post-band, I try and choose more nutritional foods than ever before. But that's not to say I don't enjoy an occasional treat. (Just not the whole thing!)

does anyone still diet while on the LAP-BAND®, as in do you still take diet pills or do you still eat low fat and sugar free foods?

I had to rejoin Weight watchers so in a sense I am on a diet ie. eating healthier, journaling, going to meetings, all "diet" like behavior buying low fat, non fat, sugar free foods in order to be sucessful. Some people wing it with the band I don't know how its been a struggle for me and I need structure.

I'm with Plain!

You can't continue to eat as you did pre-surgery. Plain and simple. As Band Groupie pointed out, eat fresh and healthy watch the nutrition labels because a lot of foods that sound like they will help you eat better actually come with another set of pitfalls.

I eat anything I want but not in the quantities that got me to 284 pounds. I have a small piece of birthday cake every month at the office birthday party. I've eaten a bit of ice cream a few times. I drink some.

But "diet" ("that's die-with-a-T", as Garfield said once)? No. The band is meant to facilitate a lifestyle change. But diets seem to have always had the feeling that "when I'm done dieting".....

does anyone still diet while on the LAP-BAND®, as in do you still take diet pills or do you still eat low fat and sugar free foods?

I don't get my band until 11/3 but went today for the nutrition classes. Their literature included a 'diet' they suggest you follow after you start eating solid foods again. I have no intention of following it. The whole point of getting this Lap Band was so that I could eat like a normal person and not 'diet'. In other words, Portion Control.< /p>

I will say, however, that I'm not a junk food eater, nor am I a sweet eater. I already make good food choices. I just eat too much of them.

But diets seem to have always had the feeling that "when I'm done dieting".....

I think this is an excellent point. The Lap Band isn't a dieting tool. It's a tool to change the way we eat...for life.

Lap Band is not really a tool change the way we eat, but how much we eat. It's out of control. Changing the way we eat is a condition of the mind. You have to make a conscious effort to change the way you eat. I eat regular foods but in much smaller portions than I did pre band. That has enabled me to lose over 70 lbs. I've always pretty much ate good food, but I didn't know when to stop piling it on. It's amazing now to go out and eat only 1/2 of a meal that I normally would have smashed and then want more. I am AMAZED! I LOVE my band.

I think this is an excellent point. The LAP-BAND® isn't a dieting tool. It's a tool to change the way we eat...for life.

Oh, and by the way, NO I don't diet, but I do try to make better food choices.

LAP-BAND® is not really a tool change the way we eat, but how much we eat..

You say potato, I say potahto. If we change how much we eat, then we change the way we eat. :thumbup:

If we didn't change the way we eat, we wouldn't lose weight either!!