Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IBUPROFEN????? Guys - may be TMI

Hey all,

Does your doc let you take ibuprofen post op? I remember we couldnt do it for two weeks pre-op...

It's, ahem, that time of the month, and nothing else cuts it....

Thanks!

My doctor says only liquid Tylenol or the liquid Loratab that he gave me post-op, which I haven't used.

Mine said only Tylenol 650, which is arthritis strength. I was told no ibufrofen or aspirin. Ever. I love motrin for "certain things" too. :confused:

I know that the risk of NSAIDS is potential ulcers, its just that Tylenol does not cut it for cramps! I am going to take a couple and deal with the Dr's office tomorrow if I have to. I figure its only for a couple of days per month, right? My primary did prescribe a mild pain reliever, but it makes me loopier than liquid Lortab! And, I do a lot of problem solving at work and cannot afford to be loopy or hunched over into the fetal position under my desk!

Thanks for all the info!

My doc doesn't want us taking ibuprofen either.

I have to take it during my period to be able to function. There is a children's liquid that I'm going to try - seems like it will go down for us like it would for anyone who is not banded and maybe a little more safe.

It's either take the meds or not be able to function for 2-3 days out of each month :confused:

They told me why they worry about it and I forgot... all i do remember is to either get the liquid Motrin that would be ok or if you take the pills to take them w/ yogurt. It has to do w/ the pouch and irritation same for alleves.

I have severe arthritis and my pain management Dr prescribes 800 mg motrin twice daily. My surgeon says it's fine to take them. I have asked him probably 5 times now!! However, I only take them when I feel I must, usually when it's really damp. Thankfully I live in the desert. I am cautious due to all the responses I have read on this board from what other surgeons say!!

I was told no Ibuprofen pills. Ever. I hear you on the cramps. Or sinus headaches .. ugh ..Tylenol doesn't touch it. I will take 2 tbsp of the kids ibuprofen if it gets bad enough. Tastes like hell though.

I know that the risk of NSAIDS is potential ulcers, its just that Tylenol does not cut it for cramps!

I use the Motrin children's chewables. It helps with occasional headaches also. Take them with food if you can. Better than suffering. I guess I feel like the chewables or the liquid will pass through the band quicker and are less likely to cause problems.

My doc actually told me to take advil! He said that as long as I drink before I take a pill, and then drink at least 250ml (one cup) of warm Water afterwards, AND as long as it doesn't get stuck... then he suggests I take advil as it's much better at releiving pain and it also speeds up the healing process. I haven't had any problems thus far.

oh, and this was definitely not TMI. There have been posts that are A LOT worse. This is a good place to be open and honest.

I went to the surgeon's office today and asked (again) about Advil. The nurse made a face and said I shouldn't. I pushed, "What do other people do about cramps?" She sorta wiggled around answering.

I asked about taking the liquid instead of the tablets. She said those would be better, but it's more a systemic concern rather than the actual tablet sitting in the pouch (though that is a big concern).

So, I asked again what other people do. She said people weigh the risks and benefits and then make their own decisions.

So...she wasn't encouraging ibuprofen, but she also wasn't saying, "OMG, DON'T!!!"

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I talked to my nurse today, she said I could take it that time of the month, but to make sure I take a Pepcid with it and to eat before taking it. There isnt any more risk of ulcers than there was pre-op. It it just more likely to irritate our smaller stomachs now. THANK GOD!

I asked my surgeon about NSAIDs (Non Steriodal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) like Ibuprofen, Motrin, etc. and he said it was fine - he said there is a risk associated with taking them (ulcers -- and I think it maybe increases your risk of band erosion?) but the risk was so small it wasn't worth suffering through my period every month. I have pretty bad cramps so I definitely use NSAIDs during that time. I will definitely probably try to use Tylenol for any headaches in the future though instead of popping ibuprofen...I am planning on trying to take it only when absolutely necessary and use Tylenol for anything else...

I specifically asked my doc about "that time of the month" because Ibuprofen is the only thing that works for me. I also get menstrual Migraines, and if I don't stop the headache in time, I get quite ill. He said it is fine if I limit it to just that one week a month. Take your drugs girl, and get some relief!! I just did. :lol: