Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience Bandsters- Please tell me...

I have not been banded yet, but I have one question that I am not getting a clear answer to when asked, so I am turning it over to you...

Once you are through a couple fills, how do you manage any medications that you need to take that are larger than a M&M.

There are just some meds that are not available in small sizes or in liquid form.

How do you manage taking these types of meds, when you have a pretty good restriction.

Why I ask?

Right now I am taking Mucinex DM, on the package it states DO NOT CRUSH..

That made me think if I can't crush it and need to take this after I am banded, how do I know it won't get stuck??

Any thoughts...

Thanks, be well

Edited by Patterba

Hi. I just came back from my pre-op class and that was one of the questions asked. The nurse and the Doctor both said that there is no reason why you can't take that pill. I showed them my pill which is huge and they said that I will be able to take it with no problem.

However, they said that if we don't feel comfortable: either run it by the primary (or whoever gave it to you) or ask the pharmacy if it comes in other form.

And then on the other extreme is my doctor who says I will never (never, never, never) be able to take an uncrushed pill again. Ever.

(Not saying I agree with him, just saying what he says.)

I take my pills uncrushed all the time - no probs. I normally make sure that I take them with a large swallow of Water but so far they have all gone down fine.

I am at my "sweet spot" and i take a pretty good size Vitamin daily without problems. i do have to make sure i have eaten anything recently and drink Water with it to make sure it goes down easily. No problems!

i was told taking any kind of pills would be fine! if you think it will get stuck then you should kinda let it set in your mouth for a minute to start dissolving it. or just see if you can take another kind of med that will do the same thing for you just a smaller pill.

I've had no problem with taking pills - truth is, if you can't get a pill down, then your band is probably too tight. Some prefer it that way but I've opted for a slightly looser band to avoid issues of malnutrition etc. Pills go down fine and I'm not hungry at all so it goes to show - you don't need a super tight band to lose weight.

I got seriously stuck on my BP pill and had to have an emergency and complete unfill after throwing up for 36 hrs. I now chew it up w/my Calcium chew to cover the bitterness of it. It's not a huge pill, about the length of my pinkie fingernail and narrower than the same nail.

I will NOT take any chances with trying to swallow pills now. I've gone to liquid or chews with everything. I think Mucinex makes liquids too. I always took that b/c it worked so well for me but no more. At least not in pill form. Any time-release pill will have the same issues regarding crushing or chewing.

I take a time release capsule for bp, and the nurse at my clinic recomended that I take it with a hot liquid such as tea so that the capsule gets slippery. No problems so far....

My PCP changed all my meds that were larger than a M&M to a liquid form or a smaller different pill. Works fine for me for now. I take them with my morning hot tea.

Thanks Guys... as I get closer to the date, all of these questions start to pop in my head.. So glad I have this board to get feedback..

It's one thing to get the WL center reply, it's another to get the answer from the people who live with the band.

thanks again...