Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dearest All Who's Reading,

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. My mother, who is helping me post op, was excited about me starting the blended food diet today. I asked my doctor if I could have mashed potatoes and he said yes, so I was really excited because it is my favorite food. lol. Anyway, my mother blended my potatoes down, they were from KFC, and tored up a half a biscuit and mixed it in as well and didn't tell me. She thought it was okay, and as we all know bread is not a good thing. I thought it was just little bitty chunks of potatoe or something, i mean they were little. But now.....IT'S STUCK. It's stuck and it's so uncomfortable. I feel like I'm going to puke, like it's just right there. I can't get it to go down for anything. I called my local hospital and told them what was going on and they told me to drink something warm. So, here it is 2 in the morning, and I made a pot of coffee and I'm drinking away but it's not doing anything. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME~!!!!! This is horrible!!!!!! :thumbup:

I had this to happen with a Ritz cracker but it went down on it's own. I read that eating meat tenderizer (seasoning) would help? Not sure but it's worth a try.

Hi there! Everytime I've gotten stuck, lying on my left side works wonders. It has been proven to help with digestion. Also, sipping on a little pineapple juice also helps.

Thanks you guys, I'm totally going to try them all, because the drinking hot coffee's not working at all. I really need to sleep I have a little one to get up with but it hurts too much and i can't. :thumbup:

I don't know about using coffee. The caffine might add to the problem. I would just sip some hot Water. Make sure you call your Dr. too because they are there for you to get help from. I don't know if the local hospital has the experience. Please let us know how you do.

Try a big gulp of Water and bend down to you feet over a paii. Give a gentle thrust up your rib cage and it should come up wth the water. It may take a few small gulps repeated if you have a lot stuckll

Edited by jms462001

chewable Papaya Enzymes are a must have. Carry them wherever you go so they are always available.

Sometimes when I am stuck I drink a few sips of Water and the Water will make me throw up whatever is stuck. Leaning with your chest on the the kitchen sink will also help you to vomit after drinking water. It applies the right amount of pressure right where you need it. When all else fails I stick my finger down my throat and repeat until it comes out.

I hate to state the obvious but what the heck was your mom thinking? It's just wrong to put something in your food that is going totally against what you are trying to accomplish. You had surgery because you want to lose weight. Sneaking bread in your food sounds a little like sabotage to me.

I know the feeling literally, I and seeing my doctor on Monday, can not get much down. I think I have a slipped band. You should probably see your doctor also.

Poor dear, I hope you were able to get some relief. Do you have a printed copy of your dietary guidelines? If so, make sure your mother reads them thoroughly and highlight the things you cannot have. It may have been a simple mistake, thinking that biscuits are soft. Until I started reading about the proper diet for bandsters, I would have assumed bread would be ok.

Drinking something cold works for me, because it reduced swelling (or at least in my mind it does...logically).

There are some good suggestions here. Papaya enzymes work well. I've used them with success. I have also heard that meat tenderizer in warm Water works. I haven't tried it so I can't say how well it does.

I have also been told NOT to drink anything if you are stuck. A small amount of biscuit like that WILL eventually go away. It just hurts like hell now. Sticking your finger down your throat whenever you feel stuck is NOT a good idea since you do not want to traumatize your stomach and possibly cause a slip. FYI, you probably haven't slipped so take that worry out of your mind.

Also, go to smartbandsters.com and get talking with Jessie. She is a banded bariactric nurse that works in a band only bariactric clinic. She is so cool and so smart. She started the website because when she was banded 10.5 years ago they didn't have support groups. There are also many, many good people on there.

Sit up, walk around and it will go away.

Good luck.

Dearest All Who's Reading,

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM. My mother, who is helping me post op, was excited about me starting the blended food diet today. I asked my doctor if I could have mashed potatoes and he said yes, so I was really excited because it is my favorite food. lol. Anyway, my mother blended my potatoes down, they were from KFC, and tored up a half a biscuit and mixed it in as well and didn't tell me. She thought it was okay, and as we all know bread is not a good thing. I thought it was just little bitty chunks of potatoe or something, i mean they were little. But now.....IT'S STUCK. It's stuck and it's so uncomfortable. I feel like I'm going to puke, like it's just right there. I can't get it to go down for anything. I called my local hospital and told them what was going on and they told me to drink something warm. So, here it is 2 in the morning, and I made a pot of coffee and I'm drinking away but it's not doing anything. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME~!!!!! This is horrible!!!!!! :thumbdown:

You definitely should NOT be drinking coffee. No caffeine at least 2 months after surgery, especially coffee because it irritates the stomach lining.

You definitely should NOT be drinking coffee. No caffeine at least 2 months after surgery, especially coffee because it irritates the stomach lining.

Not all doctors require this.