Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sleep centers are a scam

Hey everyone.

I am so ticked right now. I am supposed to have my surgery next Wednesday the 21st. As a prerequisite I have to use a cpap machine for 14 days prior to surgery. I went in to have it downloaded and the sleep center said I may have to postpone my surgery because I have been getting the full therapy of the cpap!! My doctor requires 4 hours a night minimum and I am averaging 6 or so. But they say I may have a leak because my percent of use is around 70. I was borderline on having "obstructive sleep apnea" as it was. I was told I have it if my pulse-ox dropped below 90 and mine went to 89 during my sleep study (sounds a little shady). Anyway, I have already got my time off work set up and have been off already to concentrate on my pre-op diet. So, if they postpone my surgery because of this sleep study stuff. I am going to be really really mad. I hate the machine and the second I get my 14 days done, I am throwing that thing in the trash, even though my doctor says I need to keep using it after surgery, I am not going to. This has been the worst 2 weeks of sleep ever. Anyway, just wanted to rant. Sorry.

Brent

Hi brent. Sorry you had such a crappy experience. I myself work in a sleep center, and can tell you that sleep labs are kind of like mechanics.....some are very good, and some are only out to make a buck.

Very few of my patients come in because they're seeking gastric banding surgery, so maybe that's the difference? I will tell you that Oxygen saturation levels don't mean you have sleep apnea or not...that's a load of bunk.

Maybe a call to the American Medical Association? Get your patient records and have them in hand when you call.

Best of luck to you!!

I use a Cpap also I actually got used to it and now I need it to fall asleep!!!..lol but I think it helps alot and I am looking forward to not having to use it anymore after I lose the weight.:thumbup:

That is not right. I only got my machine for the surgery and then I heard if you dont bring yours, they can loan you one probably for a price. I havent even turned mine on and i am getting surgery next thursday. I guess i will use it for the next week. But no where did anyone say anything about checking it. I think the whole thing is a scam anyway. I was mad I had to pay 1300 for my stupid sleep study. It was the worst thing i have ever done!!! I will be returning my machine the day after my surgery !!!

I have had sleep Apena for 4 years. It is not fun. My CPAP is like a tool though. I know how crappy I feel without it though. I am looking foward to the day when I don't need it though. More & more people are being treated for sleep apnea. it's not a laughing matter. You could stop breathing & die! I don't enjoy having to wear the mask at night. But I do know my life is at risk if I don't. There must have been some reason for them to require you to use the CPAP. They must have seen some signs of sleep apena.

I only had signs of sleep apnea when laying on my back for the test. I never EVER sleep on my back at my home, only on my stomach. I told the dr the stats are wrong since his stats only show when you sleep on your back. My husband nor family has ever experienced me holding my breath, etc. The dr said I have something called shalllow breathing. I really think this is a scam as well. Just my 2cents :thumbup:

I tend to think these sleep studies are a load of crap. The surgeon that I let go of (not my current surgeon) - was insisting that I have one done for an additional $1500 on top of my self pay, AND the office had me sign a document stating that I was aware that the surgeon's group had a financial interest in the sleep study group.

I understand that they want to make sure you breath correctly so that when you have the surgery - when you are sleeping on your back, while breathing - you favor your stitches, you are on pain pills, so you may have shallow breathing.

OK, I understand some people have sleep apnea - but to make it mandatory for everyone having the Lab Band is overkill.

Edited by pjoy2009

Great topic.

I just had my sleep over last Sunday night. Of course I am sure I will have to get a CPAP, even though no one at home complains about me snoring.

It will look good in the corner of the room with a blanket draped over it until I can return it after the surgery. I'll let you all know what happens, the sleep disorder doctor has to call and tell me his findings from the study yet.

I have my CPAP sleep over next Tuesday.

I know I have sleep apnea and I'll take anything that will help.

My sleep over was a breeze. The room was newly decorated, just like a hotel room. Nice bed, TV, private bathroom, etc etc and coffee in the morning. I can't complain about it, they were all very nice and it was very easy, even though it took a couple days to get the goop completely out of my hair.< /p>

My surgeon does not require everyone to have a sleep study before surgery.

Having said that, I do have sleep apnea that was diagnosed well before I even started the lap band process. My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago.

Sleep apnea is a serious thing. It can contribute to several health issues, such as heart problems, high blood pressure and strokes. It doesn't mean that you just snore loudly!

My internist explained to me that when you have an episode of not breathing, your body reacts just like it would if someone put a pillow over your face to suffocate you. When you have sleep apnea this means that several times a night your body has to react to the sensation of suffocation. Adrenalin flows, heart pounds, you have oxygen depletion, etc. Think about it...that can't be good for you!!!

Since being on CPAP's, my husband and I both feel a lot better and have more energy and are not being suffocated multiple times a night!

So all sleep centers and sleep studies, are certainly NOT scams. Sleep apnea and associated health problems can take years off your life.

After your test, if you don't have sleep apnea, be happy. But if you do have it, be glad it was found and please use your CPAP. It is a tool to be used to help your get a healthier life, just like the lapband does!

Edited by DianaG
corrected typo

OMG, I've been on a cpap for a little over a year and I can't sleep without it!! I sleep like crap if I go without my ambien, ativan, and cpap. They keep me NORMAL!! Like without those 3 I sleep for 12+ hours a night and still don't feel rested, with those 3 things I sleep 8-10 hours and feel perfectly fine when I wake up. But I don't think my weight started my sleep apnea, because the sleeping for 12+ hours a night has been a problem my entire life, I think my weight just made it worse. I do think I had to send in my records from my sleep doctor to my lap band doctor.

They shouldn't have given you a surgery date if they didn't have everything in order. They did that to my mom's worker and her husband, but for a different reason.

I've never been given a date, so I never had anything changed or taken away from me. I still don't have the final approval for my band. I go tomorrow for my FINAL pre-op crap for my insurance!!

I'm hoping everything goes well tomorrow so that the surgery doesn't get pushed back anymore. It's already been almost a year since I started the process for my insurance, it was only supposed to take 6 months, but since I didn't have enough "stability" in my life according to some skinny witch that's never been fat!! But she was kind of right... but she gave me my approval Tuesday.

Okay, that's just my .02

My surgeon says that around 98% of his patients have sleep apnea. Now that stat does seem a bit high. Either he is being duped by skewed data by the sleep center he uses or he's benefiting somehow. Either way, I think it's a scam in general.

That being said, I think it truly exists. My husband who is not overweight, has it. Without his mask, he snores like a train!

I just did my sleep study and it was pure hell. I had to take an ambien which didn't work. 3 hours of softly crying turned into a full blown panic attack. But instead of ripping all the wires off and running like I wanted, I stayed with it because I want this so badly.

Well, it's no shocked that I have sleep apnea. They found something wrong with my breathing after 2 hours of sleep after being drugged and in distress. I've never slept on my back but they made me do so, never snored but I've always breathed very lightly. Never a problem. My mom finally got used to it looking like I wasn't breathing.

So now another night of hell to see how much pressure I need. Maybe I'll give my machine to my husband to replace is old one.

I think they see a fat person come in and see dollar signs.

I adore my c-pap machine. I got it in March and sleep so much better. When I had my sleep study, I was averaging about 130 episodes per HOUR of my body waking up. That's crazy! I would fall asleep watching a movie, I would nod off in the car (if hubby was driving) and there were times I'd feel my head bob at work (I work with preschoolers, so that was quite the feat!) Now that I've been sleeping with a c-pap every night, those things don't happen. In fact, I fell asleep watching television with my husband just the other night and it was the first time I've done that since March. It had been a busy day and I was exhausted!

I can't imagine sleeping without it now. My 5-year-old calls it my "elephant nose"! It's pink and pretty and I love it!