Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else.....?

Is anyone else NOT weighing themselves?

I was banded on 9-4-09 and had my first fill last week. After surviving Bandster Hell (and thinking I'm still in it somewhat due to hunger and little restriction), I have decided NOT to weigh myself at this point.

My reasoning...

Because there are so many lifestyle changes I'm trying to make (i.e. eating Protein, going to the gym, chewing, eating slow, having a positive attitude), that the possibiliy that I'm not losing weight like I'd hoped seems to difficult to deal with. I feel overwhelmed with learning the whole band thing that I don't feel ready to deal with the disappointment and feeling like a failure this early on.

Anyone else not getting caught up on numbers? I feel like I should be weighing myself all the time....

Thoughts?

From what I understand we are not soposed to get caught up in numbers but I am. Not so much numbers but watching that scale drop keeps me focused so I guess its different for everybody. Do what works for you!!

Is anyone else NOT weighing themselves?

I was banded on 9-4-09 and had my first fill last week. After surviving Bandster Hell (and thinking I'm still in it somewhat due to hunger and little restriction), I have decided NOT to weigh myself at this point.

My reasoning...

Because there are so many lifestyle changes I'm trying to make (i.e. eating Protein, going to the gym, chewing, eating slow, having a positive attitude), that the possibiliy that I'm not losing weight like I'd hoped seems to difficult to deal with. I feel overwhelmed with learning the whole band thing that I don't feel ready to deal with the disappointment and feeling like a failure this early on.

Anyone else not getting caught up on numbers? I feel like I should be weighing myself all the time....

Thoughts?

I'm the exact same! I'm about 5 wks post op and I haven't weighed since my 2 wk post op appt because I had only lost 5lbs and was really disappointed so I haven't weighed since then bc I don't want to get upset if I haven't lost as much as I think I should bc I will get really discouraged. I haven't had a fill yet so it's been really tough lately bc I can eat whatever I want and way more than I should. So I'm waiting until I get some restriction before I start weighing regularly bc I know I'll just be disappointed if I do it now.

I weigh every Wednesday morning and am keeping a record of it. I don't even think about it until Wed. I just feel that I do need to know how I'm doing at least once a week.

I'm 9 days post op and have stopped weighing myself - i know I've lost weight, but I don't want to see numbers. Why?

Well, a) it's too soon to feel disappointment and :) because the surgery left me a bit scarred - I found out that I'm resistant to morphine so when I woke up, I felt every ounce of pain until they finally realised I needed a different type of pain killer.

So, the last thing I want to know is that it's all been in vain. At the end of the day, we've had our stomachs cut open and a foreign device placed into us, changing the way we feel when we eat. I won't weigh myself until I'm over this period of "oh my God what have I done".

I tend to weight myself daily, but I also keep in mind that a lot of things in your body are constantly changing and your weight normally fluctuates. I never get bummed with the results. But, its very encouraging to see the numbers trending down! I need that encouragement to keep me going when things are hard!

Hi all-

I have stopped weighing myself too. I decided I was going to do every other week, that way if I didn't lose one week, I wouldn't know it. I just don't want to be on the scale looking for constant changes, when there might not be. I can see a change in my face and the way clothes fit and thats what I'm going on to let me know things are happening. I have my first fill next Thursday and I'm sure they will weigh me then..I might close my eyes:closedeyes:..LOL-who knows.

I was talking to a girlfriend of mine and she weighs everyday..she said it helps her stay on track. To me, it would make me crazy to see the changes from day to day-especially if there wasn't one. Do what works for you-and stay positive. The weight will come off in time..I wish they could have put some patience in there with the band.LOL

Good luck everyone!!:)

Well I weigh myself WAY TOO much!! It's horrible that I feel compelled to do it every day. I am really trying to get out of that bad habbit. I have been banded for over a year and it wasn't until now that I am doing this. I was like all of you and didn't at first then did maybe once a week. I know that we fluctuate and I am driving myself mad. No one should be prisoner of their scale. I kinda think the reason I am doing it now is because I have almost hit my goal and am afraid of the bounce back. We all know that feeling... you hit the bottom and from experience we all go back up. It scares the poo out of me. So we are all scared, you of not losing (and I remember that feeling) and me of gaining. :eek: Dang this sickness!!! :)

i go for my first fill today and i haven't weighed myself since my two week post op appt. when they did it for me...i don't even have a scale in the house...after trying other diet plans before, I know I would just obsess over the numbers and get discouraged if i did not do as well as i thought...so it should be interesting to see if i am up or down when they weigh me in today...i've stuck to the diet so i'm hoping for good news...darn the bandster hell...

From what I understand we are not soposed to get caught up in numbers but I am. Not so much numbers but watching that scale drop keeps me focused so I guess its different for everybody. Do what works for you!!

I weigh daily. That is the recommendation made by the bariatric center where my surgeon practices. This was based on data they collected from their successful bariatric patients (both bypass & band patients). I find weighing daily keeps me honest and focused. For example, right now I am in a semi-plateau and if I was not weighing daily I might not be as careful about what I am putting in my mouth. I suppose if not seeing the numbers going down as much as I'd like made me really mental :), I'd cut back to weighing weekly. I say do whatever works best for you in reaching your ultimate goal.