Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad is soda for the band, really?

My doctor said at first no carbonated anything, but after surgery about my first or second fill she said that i can have diet pop every now and then as long as I let it get flat because the carbonation can stretch your pouch. I haven't tried it yet, but I think as long as it has no calories and is flat you should be ok, just my opinion.

Do you guys think that some doctors let their patients drink cokes because of the way they stitch in our bands? Some use new stitching techniques where it's harder for the band to slip. I just went ahead and quit b/c of the acidity which is bad for your teeth. I need caffeine so I ordered the Avitae Caffiene Water - will mix it in with my crystal lite.

I was told i can have it as long as it doesn't brother me. I was addicted to diet soda so even though i am aloud to have it i only have it about once a month when i go out with my girlfriends to have some drinks. I have it vodka because it is only 80 calories and it does take most of the carbonation out with the alcohol. If i would drink it every day i would become addicted again. And ever since i gave it up i found that i fell so much better drinking Water then i did soda. My skin isn't dry anymore and i know that is because i am getting the water i need. I think before i was banded i would only drink a glass of water ever couple of days and the rest would be soda now i drink water every day

How do you get the ticker

How do i put it on my profile

How do i put it on my profile

Upload it the same way you do a picture. Instead of choosing a picture, just choose the little ducky....

Hi:

My doctors tell us if we want diet soda go ahead and have it. The carbonation may bother you if you're tight. For me, the carbonation is an issue. If I don't get most of the bubbles out I can't keep it down. What I do is leave a big bottle of diet coke on the counter with the cap off for a couple of days. The fizz is gone, but I can still taste that it's diet coke. Works for me.

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

That is useful to know-thanks. I think when I am having a craving it is probably better to have a bit of soda with carbonation that chocolate!

I drink it daily. My doc never told me I can't have it. He just said to stop if I feel bloated etc but I haven't.

Hi I was banded in september and my surgeon said no soda I probably lived on pepsi before my band and will never do that again when you quite drinking soda you have headaches and all kinds of aches and it makes you tired I much rather drink Water and caffiene free ice tea than soda plus it keeps wieght on you look at most people that drink soda they are quite heavy. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.:thumbdown:

My son has the band and drinks soda every now and then... My husband has the band and drinks a beer every now and then... Doesn't bother them at all and they are losing weight...about 10 pounds a month... They don't drink it every day but when in social situations or out at a restaurant they will...

I tried a sip of a soda and it bothered my stomach, that bloated feelling... I tried a beer and the same thing so I just dont drink carbonation...

I believe it is just how you feel when you drink it. If you feel bloated then it may be messing with your pouch, if you don't feel anything then it probably is not... From what I have read there is no proven evidence that it does anything to the band. I think it's just a precaution since it really does effect everyone so differently and it is one less thing to worry about.

I do miss my seltzer water! But I am almost unable to burp anymore so that would be a real mistake for me

My friend had gastric bypass, and even though they told her no soda ever, she started drinking it the day she got home. Her new pouch is now completely stretched and her doc wants her to either be banded or have stoma-fix. She claims they never told her why not to have it! I say so what? If they say no, it's no. That is a lesson I carry with me when I want to push the limits. She was close to 500lbs. and it is 5 years later. She has lost about 75 all told. Stretching the pouch with carbonation allows you to eat more.

I asked my doctor about carbonated drinks and he said if sugar free they were ok in moderation...I asked specifically if it would stretch the pouch and he emphatically said NO...he actually even giggled a little. I do have them and they don't bother me, although I almost always drink crystal lite or Water, I do love to treat myself with a caffeine free diet mt dew!

Edited by desperateinDE
typo

My biggest worry about getting the band was that I wouldn't be able to drink soda afterward. Reading through this topic, obviously, many of us have this habit.

My doctor basically said that everyone is different; some can tolerate soda - some can't. I found that it was difficult to drink initally; but as time has gone by, it's been easier. One thing I noticed is that where I could drink a can of soda in two minutes before, it now takes thirty or more because I have to drink more slowly.

One side effect for me is burping and gas (I know, gross huh???). That's enough of a deterant that if I anticipate a social situation or if I'm at work, I don't drink it at all.

My biggest worry about getting the band was that I wouldn't be able to drink soda afterward. Reading through this topic, obviously, many of us have this habit.

My doctor basically said that everyone is different; some can tolerate soda - some can't. I found that it was difficult to drink initally; but as time has gone by, it's been easier. One thing I noticed is that where I could drink a can of soda in two minutes before, it now takes thirty or more because I have to drink more slowly.

One side effect for me is burping and gas (I know, gross huh???). That's enough of a deterant that if I anticipate a social situation or if I'm at work, I don't drink it at all.

Try pouring it over ice and wait until the foam goes down. It makes it much easier to tolerate. It still has fizz but not as much!!!