Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I am very discouraged and upset about this whole lap band process. I had surgery 9 weeks ago and have not lost anything. I went 2 weeks ago for my first fill and the doctor flipped out on me. He told me that he has never seen a patient not lose weight after surgery. I was so upset, he made me feel like a total jackass. I was doing what I needed to be doing, but I was HUNGRY. There was nothing in my band before my first fill.

So... I got my fill 2 weeks ago. I have 3.5cc in the band and NO RESTRICTION! Ahhh it's really bringing me down. I am trying to force myself to avoid the hunger. Been trying to not eat more then 1200 calories a day, which really is too much to lose. I also go to the gym every other day and I have not lost anything! I am so upset, what am I doing wrong? I don't want to go back to see him in 4 weeks and have him flip out on me again for not losing weight.

I am beginning to think this lap band was a bad idea for me. I was so excited and really thought it would work for me but I am not having any sucess. Please help me... I am lost and blue! I am so stressed out over this and I jut sit and cry about it. I am in need of support or something!

I don't understand why your doctor would do this to you, the band is a tool and until its adjusted correctly for you (we are all different) it will be like an ordinary diet for you - and if we could do that we would not need the band!!! Maybe when you go back, give the doctor a food and exercise diary and ask him to comment on that before you get on the scales.

Good luck.

hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I have been told that it is a bonus to loose weight prior to a fill. Keep on doing what you have been doing... just a thought coming from an outsider... are you eating your Protein as prescribed and veggies, staying away from the carbs? eating 3 meals plus the Snacks? are you measuring out your protien portions? just a few thoughts to keep in mind.

Please do not be discouraged, this is an ongoing learning process.. this is not an overnight fix.

I hope all goes well for you

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fix with quick results.. but I am guess the reason I am stressing about not losing is because of how my doctor treated me last time:(

My loss has been slow and I am in a struggle too. I lost about 20 lbs but 12 was on the pre op liquid diet. I think the DR should be more understanding. For peets sake! What sort of way is this to inspire you. I was banded 8/05/09 and also had my first fill twoweeks agoe. I go to the gym every other day, but I find I eat five small meals a day. I am attempting to get serious with my food journal, yesterday I actualy wrote down every thing like I am supposed to, I was shocked to see I had only eaten 1100 cal. I thought I was pigging out. Some days are better than others. The best thing I can say is my weight has finaly stopped creeping up like it was constantly doing pre op. I sometimes think " man how did I wind up this way" like I wasn't a party to it. We all know that isn't true. I caused this issue, and now I have to work on fixing it. Sorry tangent city.

I would encourage you to not give up and if your Doc is realy a jerk, I'd concider continueing your post op care with a different one. It never hurts to make a few phone calls and see who's available for a consultation.

Good luck.

I'm not sure why you are not losing weight. Like others have said, keep a food journal. Focus on eating Protein first and veggies if you still have room. Without proper restriction, you will eat more. Be sure you drink your 64 oz. of Water each day too and watch your sodium and carb intake.

The person who told you to go to your next appointment armed with your food and exercise journal is correct. This is the only way to show your doctor that you are doing what you should be doing.

I suggest you exercise daily. Perhaps add 60 minutes of walking on the days you don't go to the gym. I find I lose more regularly if I exercise daily. Keep in mind that you may be losing inches rather then pounds. Are your clothes fitting better?

I started at the same weight as you but I am much older. From everything I have learned, you should be able to lose the weight faster then I am. I lost 37 pounds in the first 2 months after surgery.

Are you insulin resistant? Maybe you should make an appointment with your primary care physician and ask him/her if there may be a health reason that you are not losing. You may also want to ask your nutritionist for a diet plan. Otherwise, count your calories religiously and up your exercise regimen.

I sincerely hope you figure this out.

Donna

Get a new doctor if you can. Any doctor who flips out on a patient is crap. That is so unprofessional. Many of us have been struggling with weight loss all our lives, and to flip out on a patient for failing to lose weight before they even have their first fill - that is utterly rediculous. You may not have lost anything due to all the exercise. Not sure, but keep your chin up, I'm sure it will get better, just give it time and patience and don't let your doctor upset you, he's a jerk.

I think your doctor is being unrealistic and being a jerk. At my doctor's office, when I went to the post op appointment, they said to me that some people even gain weight between the post op appointment and your first fill. So I do not know why he would react that way. How mean!! You can do it, just stick to it, try and switch things up every once in a while!

see if you can get more fills i know after i get my first fill after that i can get up to two fills a month! plus they make you stay a few minutes after your fills to see if you fell your restriction by drinking some Water that way if you need more you get more or if you dont fell anything you get more in! plus if you dont like your doc look for a new one. no one should make you feel like crap!!!!!!!

No disrespect to surgeons intended here but this is common. I have a great surgeon who is very encouraging but I would never ask his advise on losing weight. He is great at poking holes in my belly and fixing what ails me, other than that I pretty much ignore him. When you go to the Doctor again don't take anything he says too seriously, he is obviously an idiot, but probably a great surgeon. I guess we have to take some of the bad with the good. He did his job, now it's your turn.

Regarding weight loss at this stage. Don't sweat it. Even at this stage you are still healing and your body is getting used to this strange thing. You probably don't have enough restriction for the band to be working so YOU have to make up the difference. Get yourself on a recognized weight loss program and follow it. This way you can continue to lose weight even if the band is not helping too much yet. As you get more restriction, the band will kick in but by then you've got some momentum going.

Good luck!

Edited by ThinknHealthy

I really dislike doctors that chastize their patients when they should be encouraging them. My advice is what others have said. Keep a journal of what you are eating, when/how much you are exercising and make sure to show it to him. If he STILL gives you crap about the lack of weight loss, stand up for yourself and tell him you deserve to be treated better. That you will respond better with encouragement than with criticism and that he is doing his patients no favors by reacting that way. I know it may be hard, but sometimes they need a reality check. Remember, YOU are the one who sacrificed for this surgery and are the reason he is getting paid. Don't let him forget it. And if he doesn't feel like he can support you, then ask for a referral to another physician who can do your after-care. Maybe that will give him a reason to take notice.

Best of luck to you and don't get discouraged. Just follow what your supposed to do and don't be in a race to get there. This is a lifetime commitment.

I left my doctor and found a new one because we were butting heads at visits. He was inexperienced - being a general surgeon who had only done 22 bandings before me.

It became obvious that he lacked the knowledge about how the band works when he wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds in 3 weeks after my first post op visit (I had already lost 10lbs after surgery) and BEFORE my first fill. That isn't a realistic goal. When I didn't lose any weight (I went from liquids to mushies to soft foods during this time) he gave me the come to Jesus talk, and the band is a tool, blah, blah, blah. Then he overfilled me and blamed me for the resulting problems until he saw the results of the upper GI. He then unfilled me.

I switched to an experienced bariatric surgeon who was thrilled in my weight loss to date and has been nothing but encouraging. What a difference.

You deserve good follow up care with someone who understands the band. Many of these surgeons take weight loss and gain as their personal victory or failure.

Sounds like your surgeon doesn't understand the band and you are going to have a difficult relationship with him and dread going to your appointments.

Get a second opinion and change doctors. I did and have never looked back. Best decision I ever made.

Good luck.

Sadly, I think a lot of fat people are treated in an abusive manner by doctors, and that is why we tend to neglect our health.

I am sorry you were treated so harshly and I hope that the next time you see your doctor, you can ignore any mean comments and just focus on yourself and your wellness.

I had my surgery 1-1/2 YEARS ago and have not lost anything. I'm still working with the doctors to try to get things operational - going for an upper GI x-ray on Friday. Seems the advise is "eat properly". If I had been successfully eating properly, why would I had spent all this money and gone to all this trouble with the surgery!

I had my surgery 1-1/2 YEARS ago and have not lost anything. I'm still working with the doctors to try to get things operational - going for an upper GI x-ray on Friday. Seems the advise is "eat properly". If I had been successfully eating properly, why would I had spent all this money and gone to all this trouble with the surgery!

Gloria,

Didn't your surgeon explain to you that the band is only a tool to help you eat less? You still have to make healthy food choices.

If you stuff your face all day with slider foods not only will you not lose the weight but you will get even bigger.

You need to eat Protein first (3 oz.), veggies and fruit after if you still have room.

I suggest you contact your surgeon and ask him/her to explain to you the lapband rules.