Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I need to get back to Bandland!

I had my surgery in May of 2008 and lost 67 lbs by November--I was a happy size 10.

I've gained back 30 lbs since May 2009. What is happening to me? After all I went through and PAID for--why would I allow this to happen? I was so successful and now, feel like "I did it again!"

I find the band to be so fickle. I still get stuck at times and sometimes, no problem! How can I stick to Protein when that causes such pain?

Support and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

If you're having trouble with solid Protein then your band is too tight. I've read over and over people having trouble with solids, and then falling back to soft foods which don't give lasting satiety and are often high in calories. Then a vicious cycle evolves where there's soft food, quick hunger, soft food, followed by weight gain. That might not be the answer, but after reading your post, that's the first thing I would consider.

Kiz-- you may be right. I haven't had a fill since Sept. 2008. Is it possible that it becomes too tight? I thought it would be the other way around and I would need to get more fills.

I eat 2 bites, PB in the restroom (with help of my finger down my throat), eat 2 bites, back to the restroom, 2 more bites, back to you know where----and then, I can eat the rest of the meal!

I am still hungry after the first 2 bites, so I don't think I am satiated and need to stop.

I just had a Protein bar and apple and no problem at all. I am making steak for dinner--let's see what happens!

Has anyone else found that they are too tight after a year and need to be loosened???

Thank goodness for this website and the wonderful people here.

Hi JB.

It was a real mystery to me too - until I checked with my doc. And for some reason, I did tighten after months of being with the same fill level. So, some was taken out, and I could resume my normal eating routine - all foods, but in moderation.

Then of course I went on vacation, completely abandoned the rules, and gained 7 pounds. So, it is back to the routine a slight refill - not as much as before though.

Get an unfill; your eating process concerns me!

Good luck.

Well I am certainly glad I stumbled back here. (It's been years!) Anyway, I had not had a fill for about 9 months but really had not been losing weight either. Then about 3 months ago my band tightened to the point where I was losing everything I ate but liquids and soft foods. I gained a few pounds during that time also. Then the band tightened even further and Water wasn't staying down.

I went to the surgeon and he did a complete unfill and sent me for tests. All the tests were OK so that meant the band all of a sudden was just too tight. Still don't understand how or why that happened.

Anyway, 2 months later I'm up 17 lbs being completely unfilled!!!! :thumbup: I went back on Thursday and started the slow fill process all over again.

But in thinking back I can honestly say that I was NOT following the healthy lifestyle of being banded. I was eating and drinking with abandon during those 2 months of being unfilled. I wasn't exercising hardly at all. I just can't believe I did this to myself yet again! But I did and now it's time to get back on track.

Well, thanks for letting me unload. I hope we all find ourselves at our perfect goal weight at the end of our journey.

Marie