Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My scale is playing tricks on me....

So I have a digital scale that I have been using at home.... and yes I do weigh each morning--- but only right down my weight to track every tuesday-- that my "offical" weigh in day.... but I do weigh each morning at the same time - right before getting in the shower.

So Saturday, I jump on the scale- and yep - I am down 1 lb... very happy---- that would make me down 2 lbs so far this week...

Sunday morning I jump on the scale- and lookie there.... down another .5 GREAT!!! I was in shock-- thinking -- wow... it's back to like I was-- losing something every morning... so in disbelief I jumped right back on and yep down another.5! So excited again I call my husband in to check it out- get on - and WHAT-- then it was up 3 lbs...

step off- then right back on.... up 1 lb.... step off -- step back on-- back down the .5 of a lb

so I did the best 3 out of 5 readings-- and that would be that I was down .5

Well, this morning- I jump on the scale -- and look there- down another pound... remember the moring before- i step off-- cross my fingers and step back on--- a few more times.... the second time- yep down that pound, the third time--- up 3 pounds, the fourth time-- up .5 of a pound- the 5th time up .5 of a pound....

so needless to say, I am a little heart broken cause I may not have lost the 3 lbs the last couple of days that I thought I had lost..... cause obviously that scale is not correct anymore!!!!

Guess I have to go buy a new scale-- anyone have any suggestions of a good and accurate scale???

:sad:

First and foremost...stop the madness!! Weigh yourself once a week IF THAT!! And that's it. The curiosity is intense I know. Because I was weighing myself like multiple times a week and multiple times in one day. WRONG. I would sometimes notice that I was up a few pounds and get depressed (and want to eat. BAD!) and discouraged. I talked to my nutritionist and she said that your weight can fluctuate up to 4 lbs throughout the day. So seriously, only stick to the same time each week (for me, Monday mornings!) And that's it. Also, don't beat yourself up for gaining. Easier said than done I know. But seriously, I could not eat any better, and I'm exercising and sometimes I go up like 1.5lbs. and I get mad. But I'm doing the best I can. And I'm way healthier now than before. So I just keep on trucking. What else can I do? Eventually that "extra" weight will come off. But seriously, please only weigh yourself ONCE a week. If that. And then ignore the scale the rest of the time.

My scale weighs me pretty much the same if I get on and off several times. Maybe a .2 difference... The thing that gets me is that I weigh..... drink one small cup of coffee and then have a pee and a MAJOR BM (for a band patient) and weigh again and I'm UP three pounds??? WTF? That makes no sense. How is that even possible?

My scale does the same thing. Their evil little machines.

I too weigh myself daily, though I try not to. At one point I actually put the scale in the closet so I wouldn't think of getting on it in the morning.

I really gotta get out of this habit because it is discouraging to not see the weight coming off quickly every day.

I have read that your weight can fluctuate up to 8 pounds in one day so that could be part of the problem. Next you could try and change the batteries on the scale , that may be part of the problem, the batteries could be dying. Also you should try and not weigh your self every day like that. I say this yet I am one f those people who weigh themselves twice a day, haha. It gets obsessive for me , so I can relate to that feeling of wanting to see a loss. Anyway, I hope you figure everything out and hopefully it was a 3 pound loss. Good luck!

well I went out and bought a new scale, a Tanita one--- and needless to say - my scale was a pound off... but that's not too bad...

As for weighing everyday. personally it keeps me focusing on my everyday routine... I don't get down if the scale moves up and down.... I look at it like a learning tool-- if it moves up it usually means I didn't get enough Water in OR had too much salt the days before-- and I log that into my food/exercise journal... It helps me evaluate what I could be doing wrong and get to know my body...

I was more upset at the scale bc I thought I was down a pound more than I was - and well, didn't really know the truth on where I stood... felt like all my numbers were wrong...

But today is my "offical" track my weight day-- and I am down 2.5 pounds for the week instead of the 3.5--- but thats still not bad, pretty good actually BUT I would have LOVED to be down that extra pound...

Oh well, more time at the gym.... it will come off eventually!

Congrats on the new scale and the 2.5 pounds down. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Brockbabe-- I appreciate it.....

Just have to "keep my eye on the prize" everyday--- and it will happen!

Very well said !!!! :thumbup:

I too am one of those that get on the scale every morning. I was banded in April '09. Had no weight lost since a week after surgery; so it has been very difficult for me. I even went back to weight watchers. I was having no restricition at all; which made it even harder to eat right. I got my 5th fill on 10/9 and I finally fill the restriction and the scale is going down...thank GOD. I was really feeling like a failure. I had oatmeal and coffee for Breakfast, 2 and a half hours later I'm still not hungry....I LOVE IT. I thank you all for your posts. I have been reading them for a while and it has help me a lot.

I congratulate each of you on your weight lost. Keep losing and sharing; people are reading even if we don't make a post.

I know exactly what you mean. My scale has been doing that exact same thing to me and I've been pretty good about only weighing maybe every 3 days or so with the only "official day" as every week on Sunday morning. I want to throw my scale away! lol I know it fluctuates due to Water weight, how hydrated you are, etc, but it's frustrating to not know if I've lost weight or not because of the water weight issue. Argh! :thumbup:

sberrys,

I try to stay hydrated with Water, Decaf green tea and crystal lite. I'm perimenopausal, so it's been terrible. Now that I feel some restriction I think the weight will continue to come off. I'm excited like I was when I was told that my insurance approved my surgery. :thumbup: