Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this feeling normal?

First I should say I was banded on 10/18. I still have the shoulder "gas" pain occasionally, maybe once a day.

For about 4 days now I have had a strange feeling in my upper abdomen and throat. It is very hard to describe, not a pressure, but not comfortable.

I started having some minor discomfort (not intolerable pain) in the area right below my breasts in the center. I of course thought heart, but my pressure is normal and pulse is at 70 and I feel fine other than this.

The feeling has traveled up to my neck area but is still in the center chest area too.

It feels like something is stuck and not moving but I am eating fine and no problems keeping food down.

It is less when I lie down, and if I force a burp it stops for a few seconds but then it is back. I took Gas-X which didn't help at all.

I also have pain on both sides below my ribs that feels like pulling inside. It feels like my ovaries were stitched to my stomach and when I move they pull. That pain is occasional and when it occurs I am knocked down for a few minutes.

I didn't call the Dr because I have an appt for a fill on Tuesday so I will discuss this with him then.

I was wondering if anyone else had these pains?

I did write a post a week ago asking if this was worth it. I am losing weight, but because I am STRICT with what goes into my mouth. I almost feel now like I want the band out, I just can't take these constant pains. I wonder if my insurance would be willing to pay for removal, I am not living productivly because of them, I have to be careful and not move to quickly so I don't get the pain in my lower abdomen, and I am uncomfortable all the time.

Have you contacted your doctor? If not, you need to do that as he can determine what is causing your pain and probably make it go away.

I was banded on August 26, 2009 and after the first week after the surgery I did not have anymore pain. If it were not for having to watch what I eat and having the scars from the incisions I would not even feel like I ever had the surgery. Everyone is different and has different experiences with this surgery. However, I would reccomend talking to your doctor immediately for a couple reasons. I do not think your pain should still be that significant at this point. I am also concerned about your weight loss. I think your weight loss seems a bit excessive. I have been excersizing everyday. My doctor stated that I was losing weight quickly and was hesitant to give me my first fill. But I am only down 22.6 pounds conpared to your 30 pounds and I had my surgery almost three weeks before you. I am sure everything is fine but at least with talking to your doctor you can have piece of mind.

Hi again,

I called my Dr a few minutes ago and he said it is probably just irritation around the band that is causing the discomfort. He said it also might be gas. I told him I have been taking gas-X and he didn't seem concerned.

He then said if I am that concerned I should go to the Er and have an EKG. Easy for him to say, I have a $350 co-pay for Er visits. Not likely unless the pain gets unbearable. And I doubt it is my heart anyhow.

I was really a bit upset that he kind of poo-pooed me.

I also agree that the weight has been alot but I did start the shake diet 4 weeks before surgery and then had 1 week of clears then 1 week of shakes again before being allowed to eat. So that is over 6 weeks and I did lose a big amount (20 lbs) the 4 weeks before surgery.

I will see the Dr on Tuesday unless something happens in the meantime.

I had pain only at times, and one day with a fever. I decided it was inflammation and rested as much as I could. I worked a full week immediately after surgery on my feet all day, so I may have brought a lot on myself. I am sure it will pass but I am glad you called your doc.....

ok, so here is today's report.

I was up all night worried about the pain and chewing gas-x strips without relief. I hate the taste but I took some Mallox and the pain is less. I guess the gas-x just doesn't work for me and the mallox took care of the gas. I still am burping but alot less and feel almost 100%.

I still am not happy with these uncomfortable pains and gassy feelings, it is not what I expected. I thought I would have a tool that would help me eat less and lose weight, I didn't think I would feel so different.

Hi, sorry u are in so much pain. Do u still have your Gal Bladder? it sounds to me that you have Gal Stones and may need your Gal Bladder removed. I had the same problem and that is what it was. The only thing that gave me some slight relief prior to the surgery was a tsp of baking soda ( arm n hammer) with approx 4 oz of luke warm Water and this helped the pain and air pockets ( gas) try it let me know what it turns out to be.. Good Luck

Rice Chex

(Christina)

This really stinks and your doctor should have seen you since you are so concerned. Call them back and just say, "I'd like to make an appointment."

I'm sorry you're having trouble. It must be scary to ask for help and then not get it.