Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow.....thats miserable

Well, it finally happened. I got my second fill on tuesday morning and last night I thought I would be able to eat something solid. So I sat down for dinner with a piece of chicken breast and some steamed broccoli, and about 8 bites into my meal I started to feel horrible. I stopped eating and began to pace my basement. The next thing I new I was leaning over the sink in pain. This was all followed by a sliming episode and then a pbing episode. Don't know if it was just too early to have solids or if it was cause I ate too fast. I guess it's pretty good, 5 months in and it being my first episode, but either way I hope it never happens again.

Ugh, isn't that the worst! If you had the fill Tuesday you should've been fine to eat solids Thursday...but maybe it was because you did eat too fast? I know that happens to me! Hope it doesn't happen again for you, but like you said, at least it was your first one in 5 months!

How are you feeling now, Don? I hope that was just a one-time episode. You were so lucky to go for 5 months without having a pb or sliming experience. They are awful, aren't they?

I pace, also. I don't know why.... I just can't sit still when that's happening.

Hope things have settled down and that you're doing well! :scared2::cursing:

I'm feeling a lot better thanks for asking, but it has happened a couple of other times. The problem is I'm stubborn and I love my bread. And it definately becomes a problem. So the bread is gone and I'm doing much better. If I really really want some bread I just toast it until its almost burned, lol, and it works.

Don, the chicken could have been too dry possibly. Chicken (especially if you cook boneless skinless chicken breasts) can get too dry. I never use boneless skinless chicken breasts because (1) they are too expensive, and (2) chicken with the bones and skin cooks up much more moist. You don't have to eat the skin, just pull it off after cooking. It doesn't add very much at all in the way of calories but it adds a ton of flavor and moisture.

Glad you're feeling better, Don. I also miss bread. I've discovered these wonderful little "Sandwich Thins" by Arnold, also called "Deli Flats" by Pepperidge Farms. I eat the whole wheat variety. They are delicious! I toast them lightly and because they are thinner than regular bread, but still have a chewy texture, they go down better but also satisfy the chewy bread need. Even my 5-year-old son likes them! (And he's very picky.)

And I agree with Cathy, a chicken cooked with the skin and bones is much moister. We eat a lot of rotisserie chicken, without the skin. I especially like Peruvian chicken. Mmm-good! I have troubles with other kinds of chicken unless I put some type of sauce (e.g. salad dressing) on it to moisten it. It's definitely up there with bread as one of the major sticky foods. Oh, and scrambled eggs -- get stuck every time. Go figure!

This is all a learning process. Thank God we have each other to lean on and learn from! :lol: Hang in there, and good luck! :thumbup:

I stay away from bread as well. Once in a while I'll have a toasted english muffin, very well-done.

What I do enjoy are italian bread sticks with the seeds on them....mmmmmmm good. I try and look for the well done ones simply because I prefer it. The crunchier the better.

I still remind myself to eat slowly. I start to get a pain the the chest area if I eat too fast. It passes in a minute or so but it's my warning alarm sounding.......

I rub the center of my chest until the "clog" goes down.

I've heard horror stories with chicken. I've only had 1 bad experience with it and then I waited 2 weeks before I ate it again. and it too was right after my first fill.

I try to stay away from bread, but sometimes I have to have a VERY well toasted croissant. Wheat thins came out with these awesome "flatbread" crackers, I munch on those.

Speaking of bread, I had a garlic knot the other night and I wrote this somewhere else, It got stuck at the Bottom of my pouch and it was the most ungodly pain I have ever experienced.

I still can not eat deli meats, and since I was over filled, I can't eat steak anymore. And I've been craving a Philly cheese steak for a week now, but even the thinly shaved steak I'm avoiding for now. it's still a learning process for us. And I've heard from a few people after a certain amount of time your band & body will flip the script on you as to what you were able to eat and now can't. Broccoli is now another no-no for me, and I lived on it the month of june. Steamed sauteed, boiled, I can not eat it now.

sarah,

i'm glad i read this. i have tried to eat turkey deli sliced meat twice now, and the first time it came back up, and the second time it got stuck and took forever to go down.

i never would have thought such thinly sliced meat would have been a problem, and i really thought i was eating it super slow, but maybe it's just deli meat doesn't agree with my band. strangely happy to know i'm not the only one who's experienced this.

sarah,

i'm glad i read this. i have tried to eat turkey deli sliced meat twice now, and the first time it came back up, and the second time it got stuck and took forever to go down.

i never would have thought such thinly sliced meat would have been a problem, and i really thought i was eating it super slow, but maybe it's just deli meat doesn't agree with my band. strangely happy to know i'm not the only one who's experienced this.

Juniper, it is miserable... 5 months out and it's just simply on my list of no-no foods, no matter how awesome it looks and how much I'm craving it, I'm just asking for trouble. but for some reason, I can eat deli ham, not a sandwich though, but like ham (1 thin slice), egg & cheese omlets. Pepperoni (turkey or otherwise) is also out of the question for me. when I was a good 3 weeks out on solids I attempted a turkey wrap and almost choked to death on it, to the point the DH stuck his fingers down my throat while I was hovered above the toilet to get the bite out. So I just stay FAR FAR Away from the deli counter now.