Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mesotherapy the New Lipo?

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of Mesotherapy? It is a spot reduction treatment in which a medication mixture is injected under the skin into the fat...it supposedly encourages the fat cells to let go of the fat they are holding and at the same time increases blood circulation to the area thus encouraging the tightening of skin. I'm being long winded but let me continue. It is supposed to be able to reduce celulite. They are also touting it as the complementary treatment for Lipo because Meso is supposed to return very SMOOTH results whereas Lipo sometimes gives uneven results. Don't have to go under the knife, but it takes between 5-15 sets of injections (some contraversy on the number of visits it takes because I did read on one Dr. site that it shouldn't take more than 7 and to be ware of those who tell you 7-15 visits)

I first heard of this treatment via a web forum (I can't remember which one) about 24+ months ago. I looked it up on the internet and found little to nothing so wrote it off as Hogwash. Some months later (maybe 12 months), one of the TV News Magazines did a profile on Meso although I didn't pay much attention then either. This past week I got an e-mail from WebMD where they were talking about both Meso and a new type of "lipo" for lack of a better word. Looked it up once again on the web and VOILA there are TONS of Dr. sites now...Here is the link to the article...

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/112/110454.htm

Has anyone heard of this, know anyone who has undergone it?

Love to hear your impressions and it's appropriateness for those having lost SIGNIFICANT weight...

I almost hate to admit to this. Okay, I do hate to admit this. I live 30 min from the Mexican border and was going to a wl doctor that gave the injections in conjuction with a low carb diet and diet pills. It was $85 a visit, and I went every 2 weeks. I lost about 20 lbs. in 2 months, not that dramatic but a nice loss. It got expensive and inconvenient, so I researched the stuff that his nurse told me he used. It is called Lipostabil (phosphatditylcholine). I bought the vials of Lipostabil and used insulin syringes and did the injections across my abdomen. I did them myself!!! I did 9 injections in a smile shape across that fat area of my abdomen, about 2 inches under my belly button. Spaced them 2 inches apart. I did this every Saturday morning for 6 weeks. Not dieting, just doing the injections, I guess it was an experiment in looking for the easy magic bullet that would just melt off fat, lmao. I weighed 2 pounds more at the end of the shots, but my stomach/abdomen was about 1 1/2 inch smaller.

So......I personally think the stuff is a waste of time and money. I lose that many inches or more when I lose 10 lbs. The stuff is pretty expensive , over $100, and felt like yellow jacket stings at each injection site. I guess I just add that experience to the list of pathetic failed attempts to get rid of some of this weight. I am 7 days from being banded (the 28th) and thinking of doing those injections makes me certain that the band, combined with healthier eating habits and smaller portions, is the key to success for me. I almost deleted this, but maybe I can come back and read this if I have moments of doubt once I am banded!:)

Interesting experience Glitterqueen, sorry you went through that, but your thinking was actually pretty solid. I appreciate that information as it does almost sound too good to be true, especially about the part where it increases the circulation in that area.

Being a diabetic, there's a chance one day I will suffer from some form of neuropathy, a lot of diabetics do, so why wouldn't the medical personnel be using it for something like that. If it truly increased circulation, it could save a limb on someone suffering from this neuropathy.

I'm gonna take a peak at the website though. It does sound interesting as I am not all that wild about going under the knife yet again for anything and I am quite sure I will need to once all of this weight is gone, I already have sagging skin on my arms and thighs, exercise isn't touching it either.

Thanks for all the info Miro, always good to check these things out for ourselves. That's how most of us ended up getting our bands, was by checking out info on this new way to lose weight.

Cindy

Hey there Glitterqueen, I read your post...I'm wondering if Meso is maybe something you would look into again after you are banded and have lost a good amount of weight? That was what I was thinking when I started this thread. To be honest, I don't really know much about it...only what I've read on the internet. I did read that it helps tighten up skin. Personally, I'm hoping that it will prove to be an answer to tightening up any loose skin which results from my weight loss.

So few people have any experience with this...I'm hoping that over time, more people will come forward with info. so that we all can judge whether this might be an option for us and our post weight loss bodies.

One thing cought my eye in your post...the price. Mesotherapy is quoted on the internet as being between $250-$450 per visit, so your Dr. rate of $85 per visit is significantly below domestic pricing. Of course, it requires multiple visits, so crossing the border is only an option for those of us who live along the border.

I'm wondering, though, what did your doctor say to you about Mesotherapy? Any details would be helpful...let's build our own little info file via e-mails.

Miro

Honestly, I dont think the stuff would give enough results to be worth it. I saw such little difference. I really read up on this stuff. Body builders use it when they are really cut to get rid of the last tiny fat deposits on their six packs and love handles. I think some dermotologists use it to lessen small fatty deposits under the eyes. I dont think I recall reading anything about it tightening the skin, it is supposed to be a lypolic catalyst. It helps the cells break down and get rid of fat. I would never try it again.

I know some of the lazer stuff that they do now can help rebuild collagen and tighten skin, but that works on skin that is sun damaged/aged and not just stretched out. Sadly I dont think there is an easy fix for loose skin.

Body builders use it when they are really cut to get rid of the last tiny fat deposits on their six packs and love handles. I think some dermotologists use it to lessen small fatty deposits under the eyes.

You took the words out of my mouth. My friends a body builder and does this treatment every so often. Also, from what I have heard, this is a temp. fix. Once you stop most go back to their old self. This is my opinion, from what friends have told me about their experience, I've never had this done. I think my friend said they paid 175.00

It's awesome when people come on this site and start threads to share the good, bad and the ugly. It truly helps others who might be thinking of doing these things and are wondering if it's a waste of money or if it really works. I hate to see that someone has to be the guinea pig or the example but it will make someone think twice before having this done. It's not just this treatment, it goes for every pill or weight loss and all that goes along with it. I am always looking for what opinions I can find before I do a lot of things that I want to do. Thanks for sharing!

This is very interesting, and I'll be interested in seeing how this work progresses. I'm cosidering Lipo along with the TT when I'm finished and am at goal.

There is a doctor visiting the Curves I go to that is offering mesotherapy. She has packages! $175 individual treatments, on up to $2500. Has anyone had any real results with this? Would be nice to do this after goal instead of a tummy tuck! :thumbup:

Hello,

I have actually had Mesotherapy! I expected much better results... I got it done thinking it would be great in shrinking the fat cells on my stomach and flatten it out... I think it made it smoother, but after 5 sessions maybe 2 inches.... and a whopping $1600 bucks! I say don't do it! There were a few other people that did see results, but that was with serious diet and exercise and I'm guessing it was the diet and exercising that made the difference... not the shots!

Best of Luck,

Shannon