Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I go through with it?

I have been going back and forth with the idea of the Lap-band now for months, I understand it, but I am scared. I don't know if I want to give up carbs for good... What if I want a bear claw next year and I can't have it? I know it would be good for my health to loose this weight and not have back problems and pain management problems, but how do I know that this is the answer for me? I think I have been approved and tomarrow I will call to make sure, but I told all my family that I wasn't doing it, and now I might be changing my mind? Does everyone waffle this much? I guess I am scared!:)

well no one can say weather or not you should go through with it but yourself. From what I see many many people go through this either out fear of failing or the fear of the surgery. I am suppose to have surgery on the 22nd. I am scared nervous, and thinking about backing out. I am 20 years old and have been wanting this since I was 17. I have done all the research and probably know more then most. I am nervous that I will fail and that is not an option since I will be self-paid. If you ever want to talk message me anytime!

Ok..here is my opinion.. If I had the choice to reverse what I did, I would do it in a heart beat.. I guess for me it just happened so quickly! I mean like within a month time frame.. I first heard about the band from a friend then I started to hear about it more and more on the radio.. so I looked into it and called my insurance and of course I qualified because of my health issues..I was 28..diabetic..I was taking 3 different diabetes pills..1 for my cholesterol and also for high blood pressure...I weighed in at my highest which was 239 lbs...every ins. company has their requirements.. the only thing I had to go thru was physc. eval.. my doc had to write a referal letter and I had to do some testings and that was it...anyways at the time I wanted it soo bad so I went ahead and did it without researching it..BAD MISTAKE!! I have had bad experience with the band from throwing up everyday to chest pains..overall it has been a bad experience for.. now a year later I am only down to 202... a lot of people have had GOOD experiences and some bad..unfortunatley for me.. they were bad...its truely hard to eat anything..I thought that the badn just helps u eat less and the weight would come off.. never expected that from now on..no more sodas..no more real food.. just nasty Protein shakes!!! u really dont have much to lose so it might be good for u.. if I could turn back time.. I would chose gastric bypass..Good luck with whatever decision u decide....:)

Can't you get it reversed if you are that uncomfortable? That is pretty scarey if you can't!

I agree. If you're that uncomfortable, have it reversed. That's one of the pluses of the lap band system.

I don't know if I want to give up carbs for good... What if I want a bear claw next year and I can't have it? I know it would be good for my health to loose this weight and not have back problems and pain management problems, but how do I know that this is the answer for me? I guess I am scared!:smile:

Scared of what? Not having back pains? Not being fat?

Who says you have to give up carbs for good? I've talked with quite a few people who've done the lap band surgery...some are 8 years post surgery...and none of them have given up carbs completely. What they have done...and what the lap band has helped them do...is control the amount they eat. So you may not be able to eat a whole bear claw...but a bite or two as a treat now and again...that you will be able to do based on the experiences of everyone I've spoken with (and I've spoken with many many many people while researching this for the past several years).

I understand your fears and hesitation. It is a big step and should not be taken lightly or rushed. I went to a seminar 2 years ago and got scared. After 2 years of thinking, reading and researching, I am ready. I am in the 3 month medically supervised diet phase. Don't rush. Take your time. Think through all options. Then and only then, make a decision.

The decision definitely needs to be your own. No one can tell you whether you should do it or not. I agree with one of the above posters that a lot of the questioning and flip-flopping is the fear of failure. I had the same fears going in to the surgery. I've lost over 60 pounds (plus lots of inches and also aches and pains) since June and I feel great about it. I DEFINITELY eat carbs - and actually sometimes I wish the band prevented it (especially when I run into emotional eating, and I go for the sliders like ice cream), but carbs are definitely not off limits. And I often eat the good carbs - Beans, milk, tofu, etc. Again, no one can make the decision for you, but I am SO happy with my decision and would do it all over again if I had to. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I haven't done this in awhile! I was banded May 1st and don't regret my decision- but the decision is yours. I do miss Diet Coke and I sometimes miss being able to eat whatever I want- BUT I NEEDED TO STOP THAT ANYWAY! I am really just now starting to lose. I got the band in May but just got GOOD restriction in September. The bad stuff still goes down easy honestly- it's a decision. For me, I've had no complications or issues (minus the lack of restriction) and am thankful for the opportunity.

I can't say I ever doubted- I was very clear this is what I wanted. GOOD LUCK!

I have been going back and forth with the idea of the LAP-BAND®® now for months, I understand it, but I am scared. I don't know if I want to give up carbs for good... What if I want a bear claw next year and I can't have it? I know it would be good for my health to loose this weight and not have back problems and pain management problems, but how do I know that this is the answer for me? I think I have been approved and tomarrow I will call to make sure, but I told all my family that I wasn't doing it, and now I might be changing my mind? Does everyone waffle this much? I guess I am scared!:frown:

I have not given up carbs. Carbs make up about 1/3-1/2 of my daily calorie intake. I drink skim milk, eat whole wheat Pasta, whole wheat bread, potatoes and Beans. I eat ice cream once a week because I want it. I just eat about 1/3 of what I did before being banded. I eat 1200-1500 calories per day. I don't want my band real tight, and I like where I am now, because I can eat just about anything I want.

I feel bad for the previous poster who lives on Protein drinks. It sounds like she is way too tight. I only had Protein Drinks during my first 5 days after surgery. I hope to never have another one.

As far as being scared, I was terrified. I was 40 years old and had never had surgery before. I made it through surgery fine and my recovery was normal. I haven't regretted being banded even for a day! It was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I am scared too and yes it is your own choice to have it, but you don't seem that big from your BMI u may can loose it on your own. I go for surgery on Oct 14th im now doing my pre op liquid diet. I am scared of failure, but I am the biggest I have every been in my life and have to do something before I have a lot of medical issues. I already have high blood pressure and diabeties and high cholestrol runs in my family. I am at the point now where I have to make a change or I will die at a early age and I have a son to live for. Yeah, but think about everything in general not just being scared.

I was very scared and went back and forth on my decision right up until the day of surgery. I think more than anything I was scared of complications and having to go through additional surgeries and expense.

Now that I have the band I am so glad I did it. I have only lost 29 lbs so far but I feel so much better. I didn't realize how much the weight was affecting me until I lost the weight I have. I still have a long way to go and I can't imagine how much better I will feel when I get there.

I have not gave up carbs. I really eat anything I want to, I just don't eat as much. The only things I really monitor are my protien and Water intake. I am not saying it is easy. It has been hard for me to get used to eating slowly and not drinking while I eat, but I am getting there.

I know the band does not work for everyone & the decision has to be yours and yours alone. Good luck in your decision & I wish you the best.

I am scared like you are right now, my date is 10/26 and my preop starts Monday, so I am thinking about all the food I won't be able to eat again... which isn't really true.

I spoke to a nurse last night that had it done, we spoke of eating birthday cake. Yes she ate a small slice of cake, but only had a few bites & she was done. With the LAP-BAND®® you learn to know your limits.

At first it will be difficult, especially the liquid diet... but after it heals it's just a tool to keep you mindful of your choices. Protein will be #1, everything else will be secondary.

So down the road after you have healed, and you want a bear claw, then you have 1/4 of one and share the rest with someone else. That is really all you need anyway.

Good luck on your decision making.

Thanks everyone for the responses above! I've totally been having cold feet and it was good to hear what you've all said. Clearly the band is just one part of a much larger suite of changes that need to happen in my life. Gotta make the right choices and stop letting myself getting away with everything.