Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I've done it...I cheated on my Post-Op Liquid Diet

Talk about regrets! I'm so hungry (banded 9/23) and am having a bad day here at work. So what did I do? I ate seven Starburst fruit Chews. I chewed them until they were pretty much disolved, so I hope that I didn't damage my new hardware. Now I feel GUILT. Why did I do that?! :)

That sounds like a really bad thing to eat. If you are not feeling pain then you are probably ok. Starburst is a bit like gum I would think. If it plugs the hole and sticks throwing up may not get it out and you would need surgery. Try to avoid things that are sticky. Like I say if you are not feeling pain they probably slid into the lower section without a problem I would just avoid doing it again

You'll be alright. Most of us have been there, your in bandster-hell right now. Hungry and can't eat...head hunger is getting to you. I know been there.

Forgive yourself and move on. The longer you go without that stuff the more you will realize that you don't need it and it really never tasted that good either!

Best wishes along your journey.

Ah, this cracks me up because I am about 3 weeks out and have eaten about 10 starbursts today!

I guess whatever doesn't kill us (or send us back to our surgeons) will just make us fatter...

p.s, no need to reprimand me, I already know BAD GIRL blah blah blah

Glad to know I'm not alone with the Starbursts!

I've fallen off the wagon more than once. I'm not saying it is a good thing!! But it happens. Just pick yourself up and do extra cardio this week to balance it out :) One thing that helps me stay accountable for what i put in my mouth :smile: Is a food journal. Try it for a week. Just write everything you eat and drink. It helps with good decision making as well as good portions!

I am 11 days out and and cheated by having mashed potatoes yesterday and today.... I am sooooo freaking hungry all of the time. And, I have had some egg whites....

I am in the same basket, I have cheated a bit here and there too. Specially the past few days. I am 4 weeks post op and SOOOO hungry, and my monthly friend came so I had some cinnamon rolls the other day and a chocolate shake the next day.

But I have gotten back on track and I can't wait for my first fill next week. It won't come soon enough!

I don't plan to cheat! It's too important to me. I have to get in better health and off all these meds. I paid too much and worked too hard to start cheating with any kind of food. I refuse to let some piece of junk food do me in!

However, with all of that said in my own behalf, I can understand the WHYS of your cheating. One thing is that you weren't prepared. Take something to work with you that you can have and eat that instead of starbursts (which you shouldn't even have near you) Think positive and strive to do what you know you should. It's a tool to be used to it's best advantage. Try harder and put the past behind you. Good luck!

Well I've had a few Starburst here and there... had two today actually but I'm diabetic and its to keep my sugar from bottoming out. I had a bad episode of low BS the week before my surgery because I was still taking my medication on the pre-op diet which was very low carb and I didn't actually need my meds. Well now since the surgery, I've had a few way too low BS days so I carry a pack of Starburst in my purse just in case and today was one of those days. I can't wait to start eating food soon so that I can get my levels back in order... good thing is no more meds for me :smile:

Don't punish yourself for cheating... we all got this way and needed surgery because we've cheated on our diets. Just remember what your goals are... health, family, swimsuit season 2010, lol... whatever yours might be and I personally did not go through all this to not reach my goals but I'm sure I'll have some bad days, I'm only human :)

Edited by WonderWmn

The first weeks after surgery are the most important time NOT TO CHEAT! You are healing and can do damage that may not show up right now, but further down the line. Once you get off all the liquid and mushy stages then you can begin to eat regular again. It will come, trust me but PLEASE let your band and your body heal. And I also don't believe that after you are on regular food again, there is no cheating for me. What I mean by that is if I want something, I am going to have it. I limit the cravings and do great Portion Control, but I'm not going to deny myself anything at this point in time. I need to learn to make the right decisions and having things some people call "bad" is not a decision that I want for the rest of my life. I have lost 50 pounds since surgery in June, and I am doing that by working out and watching my calories, but if I want a candy bar, or a piece of pizza (which is kinda hard to do now that I have good restriction) then I'm not going to deny myself and then end up eating things just to take that craving away, and then end up eating it anyway. I don't consider myself on a DIET, I consider that I am eating healthy and working out and watching my portions and the band once restriction has taken place, exactly helps achieve that.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses, I really needed to hear it all. This episode has taught me that I need to do something else when I feel stressed or anxious instead of eat. I really didn't realize how I used food as a drug before. Eating those little candies DID make me feel better somehow, but that feeling was very brief and then the aftermath worry and quilt was much worse than the original stress felt.

I'm sure that I didn't do any damage to my band because I chewed those things until they practically dissolved in my mouth. I'm treating this as a learning experience and moving on.

Kimberly

Talk about regrets! I'm so hungry (banded 9/23) and am having a bad day here at work. So what did I do? I ate seven Starburst fruit Chews. I chewed them until they were pretty much disolved, so I hope that I didn't damage my new hardware. Now I feel GUILT. Why did I do that?! :smile:

Hi, I plan on having my surgery in Dec. You had yours on 9/23 and ur back at work fast. Were you in any pain? How long did you stay home before returning back to work? Oh and about the Starburst that's ok...we are human and we make misstakes. Make that your treat for the month and no more LOL.

Janaey,

I had the surgery on Wednesday and was back in my office on Friday. I have a sedentary job, so it was no problem. The only real pain I had was the gas pains in my left shoulder and that made me very miserable for one night. No pain to speak of in my abdomen, it just felt a little like I'd done a bunch of sit ups, just sore.

Hi, I plan on having my surgery in Dec. You had yours on 9/23 and ur back at work fast. Were you in any pain? How long did you stay home before returning back to work? Oh and about the Starburst that's ok...we are human and we make misstakes. Make that your treat for the month and no more LOL.

I returned to work after 4days and i have a phisically demanding job.... i only took the pain meds i day and one night, oh and i had a 3 hour car ride home an hour after surg! its amazing what we can do if we want it bad enough! That is what i keep telling my self about weight loss to!! good luck in dec