Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the Awesome August banders doing?

Hi Everyone,

I am only one month out, because I was banded on August 31st. How are all the others doing who were banded the same month? Speak up and let us know how you are feeling and what progress you have made so far.:(

Hi Everyone,

I am only one month out, because I was banded on August 31st. How are all the others doing who were banded the same month? Speak up and let us know how you are feeling and what progress you have made so far.:(

I was banded Aug. 7 about 8 weeks ago and just had my first fill today. I am very discouraged and emotional about this whole thing. The doctor flipped out on me today and told me that he has never had a patient gain weight after surgery, I gained about 4lbs. I hear from other people that their doctors say most likely you will gain weight before your first fill. He really pissed me off, ahhh. I would be losing weight if I wasn't hungry all the time. I now have 3.5ccs in my band and to be honest I feel no restriction. How can I lose weight when I am not feeling restriction? ahhh I just hope that things start working out with this because I am getting very discouraged.

I had surgery on August 14th. I have not had a fill and my band is empty. I haven't gained any weight...YET! I am HUNGRY and my doctor doesn't want to see me to even CONSIDER a fill until NOVEMBER! I am an emotional wreck too and am scared this too will fail. I am making good choices but as we all know, our willpower will only get us so far. Dieting doesn't work or I wouldn't have ended up with WLS! I am discouraged too. I did lose 18 pounds during the first month but have failed to lose any more weight.

I was banded 8/20 and am doing well. I've lost 25 lbs since surgery and am going today for my 2nd fill (first one was 10 days ago). After my first fill I felt nothing for a couple of days (duh, I was on fluids), but also went through a short period where after 3 or 4 bites I could would get a strong full sensation. That has backed off and I'm where I was pre-fill. So, it's time for another. I don't get hungry, I just can eat whatever I want when I sit down to eat. I am big on weighing, measuring, and tracking--that has made all the difference for me.

Dining out is my downfall, because (1) you don't get all of your food in 20 minutes, (2) servings are so big, and (3) who knows how much hidden butter lurks in that amazing veggie dish. I find myself either sharing or dividing out what I can eat and putting the rest in a to-go box right away.

It's going to be a long journey (I tried to tell my husband all of this before I had surgery. I came out of surgery and he was spouting bandisms to me when I got back to my room. Seems conversations with the doctors and recovery room nurses made him an expert--well, at least made him appreciate that this wasn't the easy way out.)

WOW JaffreyChick! that is SO great! I really wish I could get ONE fill! I think at least working in the direction of getting restriction would be encouraging...keep up the good work!

Going for my first fill today - thank God! Hoping to get some restriction but from what I read here, doesn't seem likely...

I have been getting VERY hungry these last weeks but have managed fairly well, ignoring the hunger & not giving into it most of the time.

I have adjusted recipes and been eating a lot of greek yogurt, eggs and chicken (my dr. puts us on mushies immediately after surgery, no liquid phase). I am amazed that it has been over a month for me w/no soda and virtually no bad carbs - a miracle, actually!!!

I feel great, tho, and am pretty much determined to make this attempt at weight loss a successful one! GL to all my fellow August Bandsters!! (and everyone else, too!!)

Hey Bandits! I am 5 weeks out and have lost 25 lbs. Was scheduled for a fill, but we cancelled it as I am not having hunger issues and I'm losing at a good rate (I should hit between 5 and 10 lbs a month). I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that don't need fills. Not betting on it, but it doesn't hurt to hope...:( Glad everyone's is still hanging in there!

I was banded 8/11 and to date have lost 30.4 pounds. It's slowed down but each week I've lost something and that's what counts in my book.

I haven't been able to exercise very much due to some legs problems and the doctor wants me to wait until I've lost some more weight before tackling the walking. However, I joined the YMCA yesterday and plan to take a lot of Water exercise classes. Every little bit will help.

I'm not having any problems with hunger per se but I am still using the occassional Protein shake and that holds me between meals.

It's going to be a long journey but it's a journey to better health for me and I am looking forward to getting off most if not all of my B/P meds & C-pap machine. The weight loss is just a side effect of getting to better health.

Good luck everyone.

I had surgery 08/11. I am feeling good. I've lost 18-20lbs since surgery......I have been bouncing between 180-182 for about a week and a half now. That's a little frustrating, as I had been consistenly losing up until recently. I have nothing in my band and am scheduled for my 1st fill on 10/08/09. I think I am ready for that. I still get full pretty fast, but within 2 to 2 1/2 hours I can eat again. So, hopefully the fill will help me to feel satisfied for a longer period of time. I need to start incorpoating some exercise. Gotta motivate my husband to go pick up my elliptical machine out of my mother's garage so I can dust it off and start using it :) I do walk on occasion, but this is Maine and very soon it will be too damn cold to do anything outside!

HI,

I was banded on 08/31 and doing OK. I don't get my first fill for 3 weeks! I have plateau for the last two weeks since I am on solid food and it is very frustrating. I am sticking to the plan and exercising, so I hope my body adjusts soon and i start losing again. Just very frustrating in some ways because it seems we woulds lose when eating so little. I am trying hard to build up my calorie intake which seems to be what people are saying gets your body out of starvation mode. Bandster Hell lol

But I am grateful to be able to do this and that I have lost 17 lbs.

I was banded Aug. 26th and feeling really great! I've lost 25 lbs since surgery and had my first fill on 9/24. I still get hungry so I am not sure if I really feel much in the way of restriction.

I've been tracking my food intake online and that has been extremely helpful to me. It helps me to see what I am eating, how much Protein I am getting in, etc.

So far I am extremely happy with the band and the results I am getting. I am sure the weight loss will plateau at some point but right now I am just enjoying the ride.

Take care and God bless,

T

Hello August BANDits:thumbup:,

I'm ready to be thin :)

Ok, I'm only 5 weeks post op. And it's going great! Lost 16 pounds and 4 inches each in my hips, waist and chest.

The last two days I have felt good enough to really step up my exercise. Most days I only walk enough to get in 5000 steps. Yesterday I did over my 10,000 step goal(added Zumba at YMCA, mowing and 75 minutes on the elliptical).:)

It is disturbing though that my weight is 2# up from 3 days ago. I liked seeing it drop very couple of days. :eek:

Maybe I should go to weighting only once per week, then the day to day fluctuations wouldn't unsettle me???:)

I don't know if I can ween myself off weighting each morning.:blink:

Its step one as soon as I wake up each morning.:w00t:

Anyone else dealing with this? Any suggestions?:w00t:

I do the exact same thing and I know I shouldn't but just as soon as I get up it is the first thing I do...step on the scale! I don't know if there is a cure other than get rid of the scale!

Me too, I am trying not to weigh myself every darn day! LOL

I am tracking everything too and I think it really helps. Glad everyone sounds like they are all off to a great start! We can do this!!!

I was banded on Aug 5th. Tomorrow I go for my 1st fill. I can't wait! I was steadily loosing 2-3 lbs a week up until 2 weeks ago. I have not lost anything. I haven't gained either, but it is very frustrating because I am hungry every 3 hours. I can definately eat more than 1/2 a cup of food, but try not to. I am working off of will power and exercise. I hope after my fill I will begin to loose again. My biggest fear is to fail using this tool!