Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Partner and I want to get engaged and we've picked out the ring.

but it can only be resized up 5 sizes... and i need it to be resized up 6 sizes... so one size off....

but then i though... what happens when i get the band in (surgery date is December), and im loosing weight, will i have to get it continually resized?

i can get it rezied i think 3 times or something without it affecting the band too much...

So i wanted to know what everyone else thought about this...

We're going to talk to the manager of the store to see if they can get its in my size, but i though why no just wait till im the smaller size.... then again we're getting 30% off the ring and its a 2500 ring

Any one got any ideas or help?

If it were me, I would wait for the ring. Resizing weakens the ring, it is made thinner usually. You will have the ring eventually forever so what is a few months in waiting now. Just my humble opinion!!

A friend of mine's ring broke after a year because she had it sized larger. She eventually got a new ring and had it ordered in her larger size... more expensive but better for long term. Especially for a ring you plan on wearing every day. She was sad that she had to give up her original ring as it was sentimental at that point.

It might be a good goal to reach for.. :seeya:

I have a diamond/sapphire ring that is close to fitting... I can't wait to wear it again. I had the ring made for me several years ago and I refused to have it re-sized..

I agree with waiting. How long until the marriage? Maybe get the ring in the one size smaller if you want to get the sale and then you should be set. You could wait until it fits to wear it, then put a guard in it when it getst too loose until you are close enough to goal to have it resized.

My ring size went from a 6 to a 4-3/4 after losing just shy of 80 pounds.

Congrats to you!

I lost 18lbs pre-op and 20lbs since surgery on 8/11/09. My wedding set has gotten very loose on me. I've already had mine sized twice; once when it was purchased and then again due to weight gain. I just picked up a ring guard from the jeweler for now as I want to wait until I have lost all the weight I want to before getting it sized again.

So funny to see this post... I'm sitting at my desk and my rings are sitting on the desk next to my laptop. They're so big on me now, and I'm only about 4 months post-op.

Prior to the surgery, I couldn't even wear them - they were too tight. So they were in my jewelry box. I lost a lot of weight before surgery so I was able to wear my rings then, but I've lost more since and now they are just so big.

I'm trying to decide when is the right time to resize. Maybe I'll just do a ring guard for now.

But if you're thinking of buying one, waiting might be a good idea... buy a fake one for now (most people can't tell the difference, really).

I agree with Linda -- buy a fake for now. Believe me, one of the first things I noticed with my weight loss was that my rings were getting loose. Now they just spin on me. Over the weekend I went out and bought ring guards for them. I'll have them sized when I get down to my goal.

Good luck... and congratulations! :smile2:

They can soder a curved piece of metal on the inside of the ring which can be adjusted as you loose weight. I've had this done.

My Partner and I want to get engaged and we've picked out the ring.

but it can only be resized up 5 sizes... and i need it to be resized up 6 sizes... so one size off....

but then i though... what happens when i get the band in (surgery date is December), and im loosing weight, will i have to get it continually resized?

i can get it rezied i think 3 times or something without it affecting the band too much...

So i wanted to know what everyone else thought about this...

We're going to talk to the manager of the store to see if they can get its in my size, but i though why no just wait till im the smaller size.... then again we're getting 30% off the ring and its a 2500 ring

Any one got any ideas or help?

I would wait to have it sized. I have had my rings sized 3 times now and can't have them done anymore. I wish I would have waited more to do it. Now I have a ring that spins and falls off but can't do anything. It is a 2 piece set so a ring guard doesn't work.... :(

Now I have a ring that spins and falls off but can't do anything. It is a 2 piece set so a ring guard doesn't work.... :scared2:

Brandy, I have a 2-piece ring set also, and I found a ring guard that works. Best thing is, it's really cheap -- only $5.50 at Claire's in the mall! It's a package of 5 assorted sizes, and they are made of clear rubber. One of them was just the right size to encompass both rings at once (and that wasn't even the widest one). They are called "Ring Snuggies." Hope that helps! :(

OH! Thanks Ann I will have to try those! Because it is cold out now it makes me sad because I can't wear my rings. I am afraid I will loose them.

I know! I was afraid I would lose mine also! I hope it works out for you. :(

You guys are fantastic! I was prepared to wear the ring as a necklace for the time it took me to loose the weight. I didnt even know there was ring resizers out there!

We've decided against the ring we originally wanted because if we do get it resized the two bits of metal that come up to the diamon (but dont actually touch the diamond) would get all warped out out of shape and wouldnt look as nice as it does.

So we're trying to get a ring made for us from my mum's friend who makes jewelry.

Try and avoid the hefty mark ups jewelry stores have.

Im going to show my soon-to-be Fiance these ring snuggies, what a fantastic idea!

Mine has been made smaller 3 times now, nobody ever mentioned anything to me about a number of times you could do it!

But it needs one more adjustment. However, its yellow gold which I no longer wear anymore, I got talked into it in the first place because white gold was "immature". My MIL, dont ask, stupid cow. How my ring is any business of hers I dont know, but I also have an antique

Leftover, great idea on having a ring made for you! Good luck!

I found the website for Ring Snuggies: Ring Snuggies | The original ring adjuster I forgot to mention that they are comfortable.

Jachut, I have heard you can have yellow gold plated white with rhodium, but it doesn't last forever. However, it's a thought if you really like your rings. :(

I would wait to have it sized. I have had my rings sized 3 times now and can't have them done anymore. I wish I would have waited more to do it. Now I have a ring that spins and falls off but can't do anything. It is a 2 piece set so a ring guard doesn't work.... :)

The set that I have is 3 pieces (wedding band, engagement ring and anniversary band) they have been sodered (sp?) together and my husband just picked up the ring guard at the jewelers this past weekend. It's a slidy sort of thing with two brackets that fit around the rings and can be adjusted for a closer or looser fit.