Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone get rebanded?

I had my lapband taken out on March 1 due to slippage. I had been very successful with the band. Start weight 247 lowest weight 157. I am seriously thinking of being rebanded and my doctor is in the process of passing it through my insurance. I would love to hear from anyone who has gone through the rebanding process.

I am in a similar situation. I had my band placed in May 2008 and it slipped and twisted and I had to have it removed in July 2009. My stomach was too traumatized to put a new band in. I have lost 85 pounds. I have not lost any weight since my band was removed. My appetite has returned. Its a struggle to eat only the food I measure. The band was a powerful tool and I miss the restriction and the lack of appetite.

My bariatric surgeon's office is in the process of submitting an application to Blue Cross PPO along with letters of recommendation from my therapist and internist/rheumatologist. I am hoping that I can have the new band put in 2009 rather than 2010. I met my out-of-pocket expenses in 2009 and it won't cost me anything if I have it put it now. I would have to go through the whole out-of-pocket expenses once again in 2010 and I really need the band's help now. Please let me know how long it takes you to get your approval. I am curious to see how long it will take. When I had the band initially put in, it only took a few weeks after my psych evaluation was submitted and then I had 60 days to have athe band put in after I received my approval from insurance. Good luck!!

I had my original lap band put in Jan. 2002 and was rebanded with a Realize C band this past wed, oct 7. So far, so good. I had a dialated esophogus and a leak and I chose rebanding over converting to another procedure, since I loved my band and never had any problems for almost 7 years until last year. I hear that the weight loss isn't as fast and the chance of failure is always there, but I was willing to take the risk, and I only have about 40lbs to lose that I regained after the failure of the band. My insurance was BC/BS of Illinois PPO, and they paid for the whole thing. It only took them about 5 days after my upper GI was done for me to get the approval letter. Good Luck with your rebanding!

Thanks for your support and good luck with your new band. I should find out this week or next week about my new band approval from Blue Cross PPO. The band was a tremendous tool for my weight loss. I was wondering if you picked using the Realize band or your surgeon? I have read some really good advantages of the Realize band. My first band was Allergon (not sure of the spelling). Was your first band the Realize or another brand?

I wanted to let you know that I have been approved for my new band through Blue Cross (PPO)! I am scheduled for surgery on November 8. I am really looking forward to having my band replaced. I start my two-week liquid diet tomorrow.

Ellen :thumbup:

Ellen,

Just curious.... If you only have six pounds to go, you've lost a LOT of weight. I guess you haven't put any on since you had your first band out. So my question is why would you have to go through a two week liquid diet if you're only having the band replaced and you're so close to goal?

Excellent question. My bariatric surgeon requires the two week of liquid so that the liver will shrink. He makes 5 or 6 holes in my stomach area and then he has to pick up my liver to attach the band to my stomach. The two weeks of liquid diet shrinks my liver so when he lifts it, it won't be harmed. If I wouldn't do the two week liquid diet than my liver would be difficult to lift up and may be hurt or he would have to open me up to give me the lap band.

I have gained a few pounds since I had my band removed in July and I'm still over 200 pounds. I would ilke to get down to 150 or 160. My biggest reasons for getting a new replacement band is to maintain my weight loss and to lose more weight. I have not been able to lose any weight since July 2009. I seem to either maintain or gain.

Many doctors vary on the liquid diet. Some require it. Some don't. I like it because it gets my mind set for the surgery and then I also repeat this same liquid routine after surgery. I also lose quite a bit of weight doing it before. Its always more difficult before surgery than after. After surgery, your stomach is swollen and you don't feel like eating.

I guess I should also say and adjust my profile that 200 is my goal right now but my ultimate goal is lower than that. I started out getting under 250, then 240, then 230, etc. I made baby goals but my ultimate goal is to go BELOW 200. I am confident that I am going to reach that with my new band and will maintain the weight loss that I worked so hard to get.

I was rebanded on oct. 7th and have not had any fills. Right now I am eating normally and gaining weight. I have recently execizing. So I am a bit nervous about what will happen, but I did lose 60 pounds the first time around so i'm hoping I'll have the same success this time around.

Have you been filled at all yet. I couldn't get in for a fill until early Dec. I figure I will be well healed by them. So for now I am hungry and have lots of capacity for food. I am worried, but trying to exercise to compensate.

I am scheduled to have my band replaced on Nov. 16th. He is taking my Allergan(I think) out and putting in a Realize band (I was told it was his preference). They sent me to to 2 wellness classes that were not around when I was originally banded. I'm excited to have the chance to start over. I start my pre-op diet this Monday.

I was banded in March of 2007 and it slipped and I had the band removed and replaced on November 24, 2008. It is now November 2009 and in October the fluro showed my band is prolapsing. I am not having much trouble with sliming and am eating enough to feel comfortable but am dropping about 2 pounds a week. I have lost 20 pounds in the past 3 months. I am at 149 now and am just waiting for the day something forces me to have it removed. I am self pay - my BCBS does not approve weight loss surgery. Would I do it over, YES I WOULD. And, I have the money to be rebanded but I am not sure I need to go that route.

I just pray I can make it through the next 3 months without any serious issues as my work is going strong and I need to be available.

Good luck to all of you bandsters! Me, too! :thumbup:

I just heard back from my doctor two days before Christmas that I have been approved for surgery!! Yippee. I am planning to be rebanded on Feb. 11. I am waiting because I am a school secretary and that is the week before a week off for President's week.

How is everyone that got a new band in doing? Interested to hear your stories now that you have it back in.

I received the approval letter from insurance yesterday stating that they believe the surgery is medically necessary:thumbup:

Yes, I was rebanded on November 5, 2009. My band slipped while I was on vacation in Hawaii in July 2009. I am so glad I had it put back in. I have no cravings and feel satisfied eating small amounts of food. I have lost the weight I gained between July and November 5. I have not had a fill yet. I am taking this all very slowly the second time around.

I am wearing a size 14 and I am quite delighted! I feel and look so MUCH BETTER.

My shoe size shrank. I went from a size 8 1/2-9 wide to a size 8 with medium width.

I no longer take blood pressure medication and my arthritis knees love the extra weight being gone so my mobility has increased.

Good luck with your new band. Keep us all posted on your surgery and how you are doing.

Hi...i am getting surgery tomorrow to have my band taken out and replaced with the realize band....i found out that my band had slipped in oct and the dr unfilled it and he wants to replace it with a newer band since mine was originally done in 06...he thinks the newer bands are better i guess....my question is, i am really nervous i dont know why i have already been thru this once but how long does it take to take the old band out???? i just want to know how long i will be under for...my first surgery the dr told me took 27 min to place the band so i am curious