Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight, and always thirsty.

i have been banded for 3 months now, and have had 2 fills, i feel some restriction, but i do keep a eye on what i eat, and count calories. I try to keep it under 800 cal a day. But i am always thirsty and keep drinking Water and Powerade zero. i have gained 10 pounds this week and i feel like more liquid and food goes in that comes out, if you know what i mean. should i take like laxatives or water weight pills? i know my doc is going to give me a hard time, i have another fill scheduled on wednesday and i gained the 10 pounds, please help with any suggestions.

I was feeling the same way - way more going in then coming out. I took a really mild laxative. It helped a little. I probably should take more, although lately I've been more "regular".

Artificial sweeteners always make me carry water/bloat. I try to limit them to a very minimum. Iced tea and herbal teas are an excellent substitute for the powerades.

Did your doctor recommend 800cals? I personally think that is a little low and your body may be in starvation mode, holding onto every last calorie. Are you really eating like you should be? Are your portion sizes good? Are you exercising and doing your job to make it easy for the band to do it's job?

If you really have done what you should be doing, you also may want to check with your doctor, if you're always thirsty and gained such a large amount of weight in such a short amount of time.

I personally don't count calories. That never worked for me in the past so why would it now. I dieted my way to obesity. How much Water are you getting? If it's enough but you're still thirsty your body could be adjusting to the change in your stomach. Your doctor should never give you a hard time. Some people notice big changes with every fill, some hardly notice. You may not be at a stage yet where the effect is going to start making a difference on the scales. The portion amounts I eat would make a bird hungry, and yet I'm fine. I have energy, my vitiman levels are good (I don't take supplements) and my weight is stable. I eat what I want that I know I can manage. I'm not a sweets lover, but I do like salty foods. I'm just living, you know? Everyone tells you this and that...this is bad...that must be done, yadda, yadda, yadda. I did everything 'they' said before surgery and only got fatter. So why listen to 'them' now. It's early for you, I know & I'm 7yrs post, but all I'm saying is chillax, don't sweat the small stuff and listen to your gut instincts. More than often, you'll be right & will know the answer or how to find it. All the best.