Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain and Sliming every meal

I was banded 8/4. All went fine, I was able to eat and do everything up until my first fill last Wednesday. I could eat about 1 cup of food each meal, and was fine with it. Definitely no restriction, but was careful not to eat too much.

My surgeon did my fill with flouro last Wednesday, got it to what he called "perfect" restriction.

Since then, I've never been able to eat more than 1/2 cup of food each meal. I'm in serious pain by the end, and always slime.

This is absolutely miserable. What am I doing wrong?? I'm taking slow bites, chewing slowly and thoroughly. It's taking me a solid 20-30 min to eat that 1/4-1/2 cup of food. No drinking, doing everything I'm supposed to do.

My doctor leaves a 4 oz pouch, so his goal is for his patients to eat 1/2 cup meals with proper restriction. Are you able to eat up to 1/2 cup of food without getting sick? Is it when you eat more than 1/2 cup that you start having the sliming episodes? Did your doctor let you know how big of meal he expected you to eat comfortably?

If you're not able to get 1/2 cup meals down without feeling sick, you probably need a tiny unfill, imo.

Oh, I just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to LBT! :mad:

Edited by kiz

He didn't really give me a volume that I need to aim for. Our dietician says a meal at or slightly larger than the palm of our hand. But she also wants me around 1200 cals a day.

And I'm hurting/sliming at 1/2 cup. Like last night for dinner, it was 2oz of chicken cooked till it was falling apart and about 1/4 cup of Pasta. Today at lunch, it was maybe 1/4 cup of lettuce, 1 Tbsp of shredded cheese, and less than 1oz of sliced turkey for a salad. Both made me hurt, badly. Everything makes me hurt.

I have had to force myself to PB sometimes to make the pain go away after 20 min or so. And I'm lucky if I get to 1000 cals a day, it's usually 800-900.

And thanks. :mad: Been lurking and learning.

Especially, since you're having problems this early on, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a little unfill. I really think it's better to be a little looser, and you have plenty of time to get additional fills if you find you need them.

I just worry that, since he did it with flouro and loved how it looked, he's not going to want to unfill. And he only put in 2.5 cc. :mad:

It's a simple couple minute procedure to pull saline out. I went from just okay restriction to perfect restriction with a .5cc saline fill, and this was after numerous fills (I lost count). Your doctor isn't going to want you to harm your band and yourself. Since you're eating carefully, yet are still sliming and in pain after 1/2 cup of food, you need to have a little backed out. I think my doctor told us that if we're having issues like that for a week after a fill to come back into his office to have some fill removed. That was never my problem though, mine was the opposite.

It's not unusual for the stoma to experience some swelling after a fill. Did you do liquids for a day or two after the fill to allow your stomach to recover? It's possible that if you were swollen, had a PB, then continued to PB, that the swelling has not been allowed to go down. If you haven't already done so, try a day or two of liquids to let your poor stomach rest and recover. If that doesn't help, or you have already tried that with no success, then definitely get back to your doctor. Pain with every meal is NOT normal.

you are supposed to do liquids after a fill. it is possible that you are swollen and when you pb that irritates it. otherwise you might need a slight unfill. but another thing is some foods dont agree with the band. i have trouble with both chicken and Pasta.< /p>

looks like you are eating some foods that are known to cause difficulties for the banded folks i notice you are eating past and letuce, might want to stay away from those.. pastas and breads are no nos according to my dietician for the first 6 months. concentrate on getting your Protein in first and then try a starchy vegetable

Definitely did 2 days of liquids after the fill, and no issues there.

And my dieticians are telling me to eat raw veggies when I can and lots of chicken... :blushing: I eat the Protein first, always, but even that I can't get down. The Pasta was fine for me pre-fill, but I've definitely learned that rice and bread are huge no-no's. Our dieticians, though, are very much pro-"eat healthy food in moderation and if it doesn't work, leave it out."

Those were just example meals, though...it's ANYTHING at this point. It hurts, and I'm beyond frustrated. When I vomit, I'm vomitting 1/2 cup or more of mucus every time. No food...just massive amounts of slime.

I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow...he wants to flouro me again and maybe see about an unfill. At this point, I'm extremely discouraged and regretting the band like I never thought I would. But I never thought I wouldn't be able to eat without huge amounts of pain and vomitting every. single. meal. :seeya:

I'm sorry you're having the food issue, but sometimes just a tiny unfill makes all the difference. You should be having most meals without discomfort, let alone sliming and pain. It sounds like you're really very close to that point, whereas I was just a bit under before hitting the sweet spot, you're a bit over. Hopefully, tomorrow you'll feel a lot better.

You definitely need to have a small amount taken out. It's your body so don't be concerned about what the doctor thinks. You can't live the way you are living. You've worked too hard for this. Even if you have .5 cc taken out, that may be all you need. Also, you didn't say, but be sure to do liquids right before and after a fill. Good Luck and hope you feel better soon. :smile2:

Yeah, you definitely need a slight unfill and him giving you a 2.5 cc fill is a pretty drastic fill. My doctor inched me up to it by no more than a 1-1.25 cc fill at a time. You can damage our band if you allow it to continue with the PBing. Don't feel guilty ever about going in to get it right. They would rather you come in then wait and cause damage. Trust me.

I have been doing this as well, but food is coming up with my slime. I had a fill about a week ago and am so worried I am going to damage my band but I don't want an unfill because I gained weight last time. I had my surgery in Mexico, so I haven't even met the Dr. at my fill clinic, only the techs and not to sound rude or anything but they are young and not very concerned with my questions. He is the only fill dr. in my area that takes Mexico patients. I have been spitting up rather than vomiting, its light I tighten my throat and the food just comes up and the pain is relieved. Is that also bad for the band??

I have been doing this as well, but food is coming up with my slime. I had a fill about a week ago and am so worried I am going to damage my band but I don't want an unfill because I gained weight last time. I had my surgery in Mexico, so I haven't even met the Dr. at my fill clinic, only the techs and not to sound rude or anything but they are young and not very concerned with my questions. He is the only fill dr. in my area that takes Mexico patients. I have been spitting up rather than vomiting, its light I tighten my throat and the food just comes up and the pain is relieved. Is that also bad for the band??

Getting stuck continuously and bringing up food is not good for your band...or you! If it doesn't loosen up in a couple weeks you should just go through the hassle of having a small amt removed rather than risk doing any damage. Sometimes early on after a fill, we will get stuck more easily, but this should lessen as time goes on. Anytime we have a bad stuck episode and PB, it's important to stick with liquids for up to 24 hours to let any swelling that occurred subside.