Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone dealt with the Kane Center or Alexian Brothers Hospital ?

hello all! i'm seeing dr. rantis at the kane center. i believe i went to the seminar on the 24th of october and had my consult with dr. rantis on the 2nd of november. i have medicare so i am not required to do a supervised diet. i'm on fast track. thank goodness! i've done enuf diets that worked for a little bit then i just gained the weight back! i'm ready to move on with wls. i have been researching wls since 2006. i always came back to the kane center because of all the positive things i've read about them. i have found their staff all very friendly and helpful and they always respond to my calls asap. sorry to hear others are having trouble. i have a serious heart condition as well as asthma and a few other things so dr. rantis wants me to see a cardiologist and a pulmonologist and those appointments are also already set up for cardio on november 10th and pulmonology on the 13. in the meanwhile i spoke with my cardiologist and he has no problem with me having the surgery. i was really scared if my heart would hold up but dr. rantis and my personal cardio dr. doesn't think it will be a problem. i know the weight off would sure help my heat work better! i will let you know what date i get scheduled for but i'm pretty positive it will be before christmas. btw i'm going for the lap-band®. :smile2:

Great news Jada! I am sure the weight loss will help with your cardio problems. I had Dr Rantis at the seminar and will have my surgery with him too. I am still doing the 3 month diet and will see the psychiatrist tomorrow. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by sndycnrd

thank you sndycnrd! i hope all goes well and your three month diet goes by fast. lets keep in touch. let me know when your date gets set.

I just got back from my psychiatric appointment. That went well and was pretty simple. It was kind of long though, 2 hours! I spent a little over an hour taking a 567 question test (the computer kept count) and then ½ hour talking to the doctor. He gave me his seal of approval and sent me home. I guess now I have to wait until the diet is finished and they will submit to my insurance.

It’s getting closer………………

Sandy

hiya sandy! awesome your getting closer. i had my cardio evaluation yesterday and will see the pulmologist on friday. i called today and left a message for bessie to see if i needed to schedule my psych evaluation. dr rantis only wrote down cardio and pulmonary clearances for me when i was there. he said i was on fast track because i have medicare and they don't require you to do a 3 or 6 month supervised diet and you don't get a pre- approval for surgery. whew! i think everyone has to do a psych evaluation but, i may be wrong. i'll find out tomorrow. if i do have to do a psych eval i dread that! i'm just so ready to move on with my decision and my life. i do know they have all these things in place for good reason and it is all worth the wait. well keep me posted and take care!

Hi Jada,

It’s awesome that you are moving along so quickly. I am glad to hear that your tests went well. I know you were worried. I don’t know what Medicare requires. I am sure the insurance lady will keep you posted. Don’t worry if you need to do the psych evaluation. Like I said it was pretty easy, just long. I was disappointed at first about the 3 month diet but now I think it was a good thing. It has given me time to practice the banded eating techniques and get my self prepared. Eating without drinking has been tough for me. I have read a lot and have been watching the forums here. I have learned a lot and I know I am ready. I probably won’t have my surgery until sometime in January. But I am ok with that. I would like to use a week of vacation and right now I don’t have any left. I will have 4 weeks coming after the 1st of the year.

HI everyone !! ok here is an update ... well 5 more days til the big banding day :( the Protein shakes are not bad they do fill you up -and honestly you are not hungry at all . i had my pre op visit at SAMC , signed my conent already, and all of my pre op testing is done (YAAAAA) plus i ordered my Lovenox and and chewable multi Vitamins from the e store on the Suburaban Surgical site. I also ordered optisource protien drink because it contains 12 grams of protien per 8 oz serving . After banding you are required to haev betweeen 60-80 grams of protien a day -- and since the first 2 weeks are liquids to pureed food it is very hard to get the protien in daily. i am looking forward to next week at this time - I will be on the other side :biggrin:

Annette

Thats great news Annette! So 5 days would be Monday the 16th? Please let us know everything that happens and your experience with the process! I wish I was a close as you! I'd be on pins and needles if I were in your shoes right now. Good luck!

Jada

Hi and welcome to this great website - trust me it has been a roller coaster ride to get to this point. But it is definitely worth it :thumbup: Actually surgery is Tuesday the 17th and i am excited ! a bit nervous buti guess that is to be expected -- this really is a life change. Honestly - for me the hardest part of the whole process was the waiting the last 6 weeks ---- everything else was easy -- probably because all i have ever done the past 20 years is diet --lol -- when you get to the end process and , oh say it is your last month before sx -- and you are frustrated definitely look me up and i will be there for you !!! alot of people were there for me with really nice and encouraging words and really helped. Also when you get to the Protein Shakes --- stock up on fruit and you just have to be a personal cheerleader for yourself. Other then maybe a handful of people - no one else nows that i am doing this so sometimes it makes it hard - like now - i work in a medium sized medical office and everyone wants to know everyone Else's business --lol so why is Annette only drinking " smoothies " because it is a new fad diet i am trying --lol :drool:

but seriously i wish you the best - soon you will be at this point and like i said earlier - i am there for you !!! If you have any questions please feel free to email

Annette

Sandy

HI -:drool: how are you doing ? How is everything running for you so far ? Please let me know if you every need encouragement because i will be there for you !!!! i have Had so many wonderful people encourage me when i have been frustrated and just down - Now is my time to repay that :thumbup: I think about how you are doing !!!!

Annette

Sandy

HI -:tt2: how are you doing ? How is everything running for you so far ? Please let me know if you every need encouragement because i will be there for you !!!! i have Had so many wonderful people encourage me when i have been frustrated and just down - Now is my time to repay that :thumbup: I think about how you are doing !!!!

Annette

Hi Annette, things are going great for me! I am ticking off my requirements and have managed to lose 23 pounds in the process. Yea me!:drool: It sounds like things are even better for you - surgery on Tuesday! If I don't talk to you before then please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck. Be sure to post afterword so we know that all went well. Jada and I are right behind you:w00t:

Hello Annette! Tuesday...whoa! Grats to you!! Thank you for your support...it means alot! Please keep us posted on how your doing and give us all the details! My thoughts and prayers will be with you. It certainly has been a roller coaster ride. For me the ride so far hasn't been as long as for others. I don't know if I could stand it. It has been a very busy ride. I know it will be worth it in the end. Gloria

Hiya Sandy! Here's the skinny! Tomorrow is my pulmonary eval. Wednesday the 18th I see the dietitian. Then Thursday the 19th I have my psych eval. and ultrasound. If all check out I will be scheduled for my surgery! My best guess is the end of this month or the first of December. It really is a roller coaster ride for me...coming from Indiana! Can't wait till I get off the ride! LOL Keep me posted on your progress. Hugz Gloria

Wow Gloria! You are going to be one busy girl. I know it is a long drive for you but once you are finished with all of the appointments it will slow down. You weren't kidding when you said you were on the fast track. LOL. I'll catch up one day. Let me know if you are going to be at any of the support sessions - we can meet face to face then.