Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone dealt with the Kane Center or Alexian Brothers Hospital ?

just wondering if anyone has dealt with the kane Center or Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk grove Village IL ? there is not to much on line and and i have not seen any input from patients .. just wondering

Hi amartyn. I don't know if you've already looked or not, but you might be able to find out more info under the "doctors and hospitals" subforum on the main page. Good luck!

ok - here is my story - i actually have my approval from the insurance , as i was seeing another surgeon, i dexcided to change on the advice of others - i am going this saturday to the seminar beacuse it is there protocol and i have to go to a stress managemnt class next saturday at ABH prior to getting a surgical date and i am fine with all of this ... it is jsut..well there front staff does not seem to warm , is it me ?? i have tried to ask several questions and am basically told to come to the seminar ... i am really hoping that this is not how the entire facility is .... I have been told that the surgeons are wonderful .. can you please tell me a bit about your experiance .. thank you and congrats on getting your LB

Amartyn-I have been to the Kane Center seminar. I found it very informative. As for the staff not being as "helpful" as you would like. I find this interesting. I have been to the seminar, a consultation and now I have a sleep apnia(sp?) test scheduled for Monday night. I have no knowledge of this stree test you mentioned. Interesting how we are not on the same page.

Please keep me posted

Remodelingme- any chance you could shine some light on how quickly they move over there? Which doctor did you seem to like more?

please do not think i was saying anything negative , by no means did i mean to imply that .. i was just wondering how the office was once you get past the required seminar. the surgeons come highly recommeneded and i am looking forward to tomorrow. i guess just any insight about the future. this waiting is the hard part :( good luck to all in there journeys to rediscovering the new you !!!

How did your seminar go this morning?? How soon are you looking to be able to get banded?

the seminar was very good -- i actually just finished going through the binder they give you . I am very impressed with the way the whole program is structured. I have my appt with the surgeon on 10-1-09 hoping they can actually get me in monday - if they have a cancellation :seeya: then it is the pulmonary consult - i will set up on monday and the facility getting my approval letter switched from the previous surgeon to the kane center. i am still hoping for october :blushing:

Thank you for asking -- i am still excited - now i just need to research realize band -- i was a lap bander -- but i am just curious to see the difference - so you know when you are getting your band ???

I actually am just starting this whole process. My sleep Apnea test is tomorrow night. Then hopefully I will begin my 3 month process with the nutritionist for the first time this week. I am hoping for end of December. Hopefully get the new year off right!

Did you not like your previous surgeon? I had done a lot of research which led me to the Kane Center, they just came so highly recommended. It's also nice that everything is in the same facility. For the most part.

Keep me posted with your progress! I am very interested. It's nice talking to someone who is going to the same facility.

I was glad to see this post as I am going through the Kane Center too. I have been to the seminar and the doctor consultation. I start my 3 month medically supervised diet this week on Tuesday so I will be done with that at the end of December. I am not sure how long after that I will have to wait for the surgery. Have any of you gone to any of the support group meetings that are listed in the folder? I haven't yet but I think I may. Basically, I have just been doing a lot of research on LAP-BAND® and on head hunger. I just finished the book "Shrink yourself". It really helped me to examine how and why I eat so much.

I started cutting back on portions after the seminar and have lost 12 lbs. :seeya: I figured - why wait?

It sounds like I won't have anymore interaction with the Center until after my 3 months.

I did and I still do :-) Had LB on July 14... ask away, I'll help all I can

How are they with follow up training and help?:seeya:

HI everyone - i can try and help you as best as i can ... first let me explain that i am so close to the end , that i think it just made me crazy waiting last week... as for my previous surgeon - there was nothing wrong with him... i just realised that i can not go through this major life change for "convenience" to me ( the surgeon was in the same building i work in ) i need to have a surgeon with alot of experience. in a way i am a bit frustrated with myself because i would probably be having surgery in 2 weeks if i didnt change.

the seminar was really good :seeya: the binder is really great -- when i spoke with one of the gals last week i was advised strongly to go to the support meeting this coming saturday at SAMC for stress management . i have my surgical consultaiton this thursday in AH - with Dr Guske , although i did ask them to call me with any cancels for monday .. i am so close to banding i can feel it ... mentally i am also ready ... this isnt an "easy out " and i completely understand -- this is a life change adn only a tool in that change -- as i get closier to my date i will keep you both updated in my progress -- the best of luck to you - i am going to "friend " you so that i can locate you easily :blushing:

It's great to meet everyone. It looks like we will be traveling the lapband road together both with timing and with surgical center. By the way my name is Sandy.

I had my first appointment today for the medically supervised diet. My insurance requires 3 months of this. I have to admit that it was more helpful and insightful than I expected. Oh my gosh, they sent me home with homework! I have to keep a journal on what I eat and count carbs (I'm diabetic). I also have questions to think about and write answers to for the psychologist. She gave me the title of 2 books to read before our visit next month. We discussed what I wanted from this and also my fears and reservations. I am just going to focus on me and the items they have set out for me for the next three months.

Sandy - That's fantastic! It's good to see you getting the ball rolling! I have my first doctor's visit on Thursday Morning. I also have to wait 3 months due to insurance. I suppose it could be worse it could be 6 right! 3 months I think will fly by! With all the doctor's appointments and tests things are bound to just keep coming.

I had my sleep apnea test last night at the Kane Center. Let's just say... interesting. I have never done anything like that. Sort of what I expected, sort of a little beyond. Everyone was very nice, luckly I can pretty much sleep anywhere! So fortunitely I was out like a light after Leno! Do you have to do that?

Amartyn - Where you able to pull some strings and get your surgery done quicker?