Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side benefits of surgery???

Hey, has anyone noticed other "problems" they had before surgery have now gone away?

I was in physical therapy for 2 and a half months or so for an aching arm that seemed to stem for extremely tight back and shoulder muscles. I noticed in the hospital that my arm didn't hurt any more and it still doesn't now, going on two weeks later. I'm guessing in this case the pain killers also acted as a muscle relaxer and got the last of the nasty kinks out. Yes, no, maybe???

And then there's my allergies and snoring. I know I should have less snoring as I lose weight, but I haven't lost enough yet to make that a viable thing. My allergies manifest as a post nasal drip COUGH that generally begins at night, and gradually over time will start to interfere in my waking/upright hours. I had been getting that night time cough about two or three weeks prior to surgery. Now it's gone. My spouse says I'm not snoring. I am sleeping slightly upright, though that doesn't usually help my cough.

Anybody else find the surgery "cured" something totally unrelated?

Absolutely. Weight is the root cause of many other issues. Not counting the obvious things like diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc.

By losing the weight you're taking pressure off every part of your body. Backs, knees, feet will all thank us for doing this. Snoring is very much associated with being overweight and sleep apnia is common in obese people.

Then count in the psychological, emotional and social benefits of losing all this weight and it has tremendous secondary benefits. Increased energy levels, overall feeling of well-being and boosts to self-confidence are also resonable side-effects of weight loss. And without getting graphic - male performance is often restored or vastly improved.

Lots of good reasons to do this and follow the program to get to our goals. :mad:)

weight.png

Yes, Yes and Yes....my hands and shoulders no longer fall asleep and wake me up in the middle of the night. I also think I had the beginnings of sleep apnea, now I dont snore and I dont wake up gasping for a breath. Oh and my planters faciatis (sp) doesnt hurt anymore either!

D

No more blood pressure medicine for me, no more snoring, I don't need the @#$# CPAP machine anymore. I've lost 80, my wife 120, and so the puzzle pieces fit together much easier now. :mad:

Yes, Yes and Yes....my hands and shoulders no longer fall asleep and wake me up in the middle of the night. I also think I had the beginnings of sleep apnea, now I dont snore and I dont wake up gasping for a breath. Oh and my planters faciatis (sp) doesnt hurt anymore either!

D

Huh, I forgot all about the hands/arms falling asleep thing. It was bothering me a lot about 6 months prior to the surgery and I only just remembered when I read your post.

Hi :mad:

I am not banded yet...however I think one of the major side benefits for me is my self-esteem no longer hurting when I fly. first time in 29 years I had to ask for a belt extender when I flew to Cali last week. ouch.

I had a MAJOR issue cured. I have BAD stomach problems. I had anywhere from 6-9 BM's a day. food went right through me. Everything I ate that was not healthy tore me up. Even things that were healthy did a number on my stomach. Since surgery, I go to the bathroom normally now and have seen a MAJOR improvement in my stomach issues! PRAISE GOD!

By general weight loss surgery standards, at a BMI of 36 I wasnt even that overweight yet.

I hadnt realised though just how badly I was sleeping - due to reasons mentioned above, like hands falling asleep. I think sleeping had become like it was when I was heavily pregnant, I sleep on my side and my shoulders and hips would get really sore from the weight of my belly. I was starting to get fat enough that I wasnt sleeping comfortably.

I didnt notice so much that it was discomfort waking me multiple times a night but I sure noticed it when I started sleeping soundly again - it made a huge difference to how I felt during the day.

I'm still a few days pre-surgery but I will be ecstatic the night that I'm able to sleep on my back without feeling like I'm going to be suffocated by my "girls". They've forced me to become a tummy sleeper. :scared2:

Oh...I forgot one MAJOR side benefit of losing all this weight. (I'm only 4 1/2 weeks in from banding so I ahve a ways to go.)

I can't wait until I can actually fit my ass into a seat on an airplane, in a theater or at a movie!!

I am six weeks out and have already noticed a huge difference in my energy level. I can't wait until I can sleep at night w/o my hips/leg hurting. Hubby says I'm already snoring less.

I can walk up the two flights of stairs to my office without getting winded. I can sleep through the night without waking up. I can play outside with the kids. I can tie shoes without gasping for breath. I can say "no thanks" to foods that are not good for me--because I really don't want them. I no longer have borderline hypertension. I no longer snore at night. I no longer struggle with asthma. As a girl, I have regular cycles now.

I'm sure I could think of a few more things, but for now, that will do!!!!!

Not snoring at night, sleep nearly 7 hours --- in a row, Back doesn't kill me when I get up in the morning. My kness are starting to feel better. And I can fit in my wifes Cobalt and can drive to the Doctors office in it. Getting tired of the compliments though ---- Yeah Right :-)