Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Do Pilates?

I started taking Pilates twice week in July, and am not taking classes 3 days a week now. I LOVE Pilates! Every now and then I get slight port pain, but my surgeons asst. says that is normal, and pilates is one of the best exercise programs I can do. I can't believe that I actually look forward to the classes! I've decided to buy a couple videos so I can do it 5 days a week in a couple months.

I can't believe no one else is doing pilates. I love it. I'm now going 4 days a week. My weight loss is slow, but I've gone from a size 22 to a 16 since the middle of May. I'm very happy with that and the huge change in my body. I just wish I'd tried Pilates years ago. One of the things I love about it, is there can't be more than 5 or 6 people in a reformer or tower class! So there aren't crowds.

NCLisa,

I have been thinking about doing a pilates class on a reformer. Why do you like it so much? I have done a mat pilates before and hated it. But that could have been because I was to heavy to do much of it and got discouraged! But now I think a reformer class might be something good for me. I bulk up easy so weights are a no no and I have a very slim friend who does the reformer and swears by it. Please share with me why you enjoy it so much, I do think small classes would be a big pluss!

Thanks,

Deanna

I wanted something that would help me build muscle slowly, and change my body. I couldn't do any type of aerobic exercise due to my size and asthma and how horrible shape I was in. I signed up and paid for 8 non refundable private training sessions so I wouldn't back out. I started twice a week in July. I wasn't thrilled with the first couple times, it was hard. But in 2 weeks I saw a change in my body, and I felt the changes while working out. By the 3rd week, I was looking forward to it. I've not taken just a mat class, I go for the reformer and tower classes. Now I'm taking 3 classes a week, and one private. I can't do some of the things they do in the classes, because I'm still larger than everyone else, but there are easier variations that I can do. I'm at the point where I feel guilty if I don't go 4x a week. (I love that). And it's HARD, but when the hour is up, you know that you've really done one heck of a workout!

It is also building very nice muscle, not bulky muscle. I've lost 35 pounds, and gone from a size 22 to 16 (got into a pair of 14's today). I don't have any loose skin on my body (just the sagging breasts). My Dr. said this is the way to lose and avoid a lot of plastic surgery.

Can you tell me the difference between the mat pilates and the reformer pilates. I know nothing about pilates. I just had knee repacement and the PA REALLY recommended it. She does it and loves it.

Mat classes are done 100% with your body, no springs. They sometimes add the magic circle or bands. Videos of Mat classes. [/url]                              http://tinyurl.com/yh67slx

The tower classes are done on the mat, but you also incorporate the springs that are on this tower stand. There are arm and leg springs, and a push through bar. Videos of some of the tower exercises  http://tinyurl.com/ylnemjc

The reformer has springs built in to it, it's a wooden box type thing that is a couple feet off the ground. Almost all the reformer excercises use springs. Here's a link to some reformer video's:   http://tinyurl.com/ykmmekd

Edited by NCLisa
fixed links

Thanks for the info I am going to try a class or two. I probably should commit to a series of classes that way I'm more motivated to go.

I started out with private instruction, which is a little pricey, but it was worth it, and I prepaid so I'd have to do all the them. Only way I'd commit to any type of exercise. The privates made taking the classes easier as I knew some of the moves. I take at least one reformer class and one tower class and one private a week. I like the tower and reformer work outs equally. I did my first mat class yesterday, it was ok, but I prefer the tower & reformer classes. I will continue to take the mat when I just can't get to one of the other classes with my schedule.