Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. My name is Lisa, I am 47 years old, and I live in the metro Richmond, Virginia area. Like most everyone, I have tried most every diet plan and have successfully lost weight - only to gain it back. Right now I'm at about 290.

I have all of my approvals (even insurance if you can believe it). I am waiting to be scheduled. The surgeon's office originally scheduled me in August but I couldn't do it then because of some unplanned surgery in July. Then they scheduled me for 9/25 and I couldn't do it then because of work commitments. Honestly, right now I can't see myself having the surgery until mid-November at the earliest. I'm somewhat afraid of having surgery around Thanksgiving and Christmas, though. I'm afraid that's setting myself up for failure. And yeah, I'm excited, but I'm also scared in general. I guess because I've failed so many other times.....:bored:

I'm glad I found this forum - I am sure the support here is going to be immeasureable.

Have a blessed day everyone!

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to LBT! I'm sort of in the same position as you, in that I'm waiting for work to calm down before I can schedule my surgery, but I am concerned about doing it just before the holidays. But I wonder if that might just be the thing to do to keep another 10 pounds from getting added on.

Good luck with taking that final leap. I think that might be the scariest part.

Hi Lisa, and welcome to LBT. I'm from the Richmond area too. That's a bummer about the scheduling, and I hope you end up getting a date that works for you.

Thanks Mel and Kiz.

You know - I'm not so bummed about the surgery date today. I think the fact that I finally told my manager that I would need some time off for medical reasons (although I didn't tell her exactly why) helps a lot. I attended a 4-hour educational session Monday and there was a lady who was there to support her husband, who is having surgery Friday. She had her surgery in January and has already lost 130 pounds. Do I want to lose that quickly or do I expect to? Don't know. But she sure was an encouragement.

Kiz - who did your surgery?

Have a BEAUTIFUL day!

Kiz - just read the quote on your signature. LOVE IT!!!! And I have already started - I am not going to fail!

Thanks Lisa! Getting started has always been 1/2 the battle for me. I'm so glad you're feeling a better about the timing of your surgery.

My surgeon was Dr. Brengman at St. Mary's. If he is your surgeon, I can't recommend him enough (or his partner Dr. Shroeder). Their nurses and staff have been great too. I've received tons of support, and I've found that their advice, diet and fill regimen works and makes perfect sense.

Hi Kiz,

Yes, Dr. Brengman is my surgeon. I have not had any problems with him or anyone in the office - even with all of these changes.

Any first-hand tips? When did you have your surgery? How have your adjustments gone? Any other recommendations?

Lisa

I had my surgery September '08.

If you can go to the Monday night (2nd Mon of the month) lap band support group meetings, try to attend. They're so helpful, even before your surgery, and there's always people there early or who will stick around after the meeting to answer questions. Some are long time banders, so it's a great perspective. Usually one of the doctors from the two practices comes to the first part of the meeting to answer questions too. The coordinator of the support group is a NP and she is a great resource as well. It's a very informative and welcoming group.

Dr. Brengman's two week pre-op diet isn't quite as strict as many doctors (or the other practice, unless things have changed). You do the Protein shakes for two meals, but you're allowed a meal of 4 oz of LF meat, two slices of LF high Fiber bread, and a variety of veggies, plus a fruit. (My memory is terrible, and it might be different now, but I think that's pretty close.)

I really like Dr. Brengman because he always seemed to have all the time in the world to answer my questions and to put my mind at ease. I never felt rushed in his office. His NP, Erin, is great too. He has had years and 100s of bands of experience, so you'll be in great hands.

Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions. I'll be happy to try to help.

Hi Lisa!! Welcome! Congrats on getting approved for everything.

Scheduling your surgery for Mid-November may be complicated. Especially with Thanksgiving. you are going to need a good 6 weeks of being on a strict diet. That is why I waited until after the 1st of the year. That way I could concentrate on what I needed to be doing and i didn't get distracted about all the goodies that come out around the Christmas time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Libbyjane, that's my biggest concern. I don't want to set myself up for failure because of the holidays. I especially think it will be hard when I'm with family at Christmas - they're going to want me to eat like I've eaten most of my life.

Kiz - I'm planning on going to the October support group meeting. Will you be there?

Kiz - I'm planning on going to the October support group meeting. Will you be there?

I always plan to attend, but sadly it doesn't always work out. Right now, it's on my calendar with no pending conflicts. I hope it works out, and we can meet in person.

Good morning Kiz - hope to see you at the October meeting!