Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Dress?

Work with me ladies, I am coming from a good place with this.

I have been plus size something for over 20 years. I am so excited that I am no longer there I almost flip out when looking at clothes. I see that some of the pics posted show others have the same issue, but little restraint. I am 52 and want to look good in my new sizes but not over the top.

Parts of my body are different sizes and finding things that fit correctly and look good is still difficult. I started watching "What Not To Wear". This show has helped me so much. For years it has been, I got it on, I can breath, it's OK. The show is helping me to know what to look for, how to enhance what I got and have a better understanding of what makes me look thinner and taller (w/o death heels). Another thing is that I now have a better understanding of how I could have done better with my look at a larger size. I don't plan to go back up to check it out though :biggrin:. Now I won't do a jean that isn't a dark wash, wear a shoe that is longer in front, and gave up on the box shaped shirts.

Is anyone else out there feeling overwhelmed by their shopping choices?

Niterun -

I was just talking with my husband about some of this yesterday. I'm down from a 3X to a 1X or XL (although some 14-16 tops fit me) and in pants I've gone from a 28 to an 18. I'm obviously different sizes on top and bottom as well. I went coat shopping and found an 18-20 fall coat I absolutely love. The plus size winter coats were all horrible - not at all trying to flatter the figure. I decided to be brave and went to the misses section - ended up liking how the XL coats fit - I almost cried right there in the store.

My problem isn't being overwhelmed, but picky. I used to get something just because I could get it on - I usually needed it that badly. Now I'm incredibly picky and if it doesn't flatter me and if I don't absolutely fall in love with it, forget about it. I guess I'm finally able to be picky. Of course, I still have a lot more to lose than you so I'm trying to be picky as well for financial reasons.

Part of it too is that shopping is now a very emotional thing for me - simply because each time I go down a size I want to tell everyone in sight! Maybe I'll feel more overwhelmed when I'm in misses sizes for good.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Edited by bambam

My first down size was found when my daughter took me shopping for Mother's Day. We made so much noise in the dressing room they checked on us! Congrats to you as well.

I love all of the new choices. I love to craft ensembles. Ive been an amateur stylist for years. But now I get to style myself like I used to style everyone else.

Stacy and Clinton are amazing, Ive been a religious viewer of What Not to Wear from the beginning. Its the best makeover shoe period.

Edited by chocolate_snaps

Bambam - you are my mirror image right now in size! I too am picky when it comes to clothes now. I don't mind paying more if it's quality items that are "classic" pieces that mix and match well.

My biggest piece of advice is don't go "hog wild" right now...especially if you're still losing weight! Those clothes will be all too big soon enough! And remember to find someone that can do alterations inexpensively - because there is nothing that can make a person look so much better than something that fits them correctly, and that means pants and sleeve length too.

It's hard not to want to go overboard - I love to shop! But, this is not the size I want to stay. Luckily, I kept alot of my skinnier jeans and dress pants from 6 years ago (that still have tags on). Pick a few items that will update your wardrobe and will coordinate with what you already have. And yes, I love Stacy and Clinton too!

A bit, yes. Even though I'm thin now and can shop in almost any store (at 5ft 10 and an Australian size 12 - which is your 8 to 10) I'm still too big for a lot of really high end fashion, not that Im that interested anyway.

I am pear shaped and i have to dress for it. Its not extreme, but I do have to dress with my rear end in mind.

I'm not a skirt person either. All cute little skirts that are out this summer, flippy gathered things, they just dont work on me and nor do maxi dresses. I have tiny shoulders and am very thin and bony there and a big dress makes it look like I just get wider and wider and wider as you go down.

I really had to work hard to stop dressing in clothes that were too big. It still takes courage for me to dress in things that really show my shape.

I'm a bit bikini obsessed too, this is the first time in my entire life I've had the body or the confidence to wear one, even though I wasnt fat till my 30's, I've never been this fit and in shape. But I cant just go and throw on any one, I have to buy ones for the 'fuller figure' and take my age into account - definitely need full coverage bottoms, and underwired or really structured tops. I can still look very dumpy, flabby and yuck if I choose the wrong one, lol.

Sorry, you probably dont want to hear about some smart ass moaning about bikinis, but the point is, its a balance between having the courage to show yourself off a bit and not looking tragic because you've gone overboard and dressing too tight, too young etc.

It comes with practice.

What I'm loving is that my shopping habits have changed, I was always a binge shopper and did it regardless of budget, it made me feel better to have a pile of new clothes, promise of looking good THIS time. Now I dont do that anymore. I might see something, like it, buy it, then its over until the next time I see sometihng I really like, I'm MUCH pickier, and the clothes I have I actually like and wear. Whereas before, I'd get all those new clothes and nothign would change, then I'd come to hate them.

Edited by Jachut

Niterun, et al: This is so funny. One of the comments I make most often is: "Stacy and Clinton say..." Love them. They're so funny and what they tell people can sometimes be harsh, but at some points, you have to hear things you'd rather not in order to change for the better.

Anywho, I've been regularly cleaning out my closets and I use Stacy and Clinton's rules for doing so. I have lots of tops w/empire waist lines (because I've been trying to emphasize the smallest part of my body -- even in size 2X :tongue2:) that I've had to give away because they are no longer snug or even anywhere near to close-fitting in that area. So they no longer have a point. I have to get smaller ones. I'm also clearing out shirts and other tops that are not shaped or tailored because boxy is probably only good for apple-shaped people and apple-shaped I will never be! Pear, yes. Hour-glass, yes, someday. Apple, never.

I'm no stylist, but I find it very funny that of my college buddies, I've turned out to be the one that's most fashion-conscious. When shopping needs to be done, I always hope that my friends ask me to go, otherwise they'll buy very silly things!

Great topic, thanks for posting!