Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had a Port Replacement.

Did you have insurance that covered the port replacement, or were you self-pay? I need a port replacement for the same reason. I have read on other sites that either the connection came apart, the dr. punctured the tube, or there was a defect (which Allergen reimburses if that is the case). The dr. had given me too tight a fill at one point and took some out. I went back when I started regaining weight and he wouldn't give me a fill - he said that it was my eating habits and sent me to the dietician instead (even though I told him that I didn't feel like I had any restriction). At that point, he was charging 350.00 a visit, so I didn't go back right away. After I regained all the weight I had originally lost, I went back (totally embarrassed and ashamed). The dr. put the needle in about 4 times with no result, so he switched needles and tried again (he even asked me if I tried to fill it myself). So, after all those tries, he filled it all the way and had me drink a glass of Water that should have stopped me, but I didn't have a problem. So he scheduled a flouroscopy and found the leak. The office called my new insurance and bariatrics were not covered. They offered me a payment plan for the port replacement. The dr. said it would take approximately 15 - 20 minutes under a local. The total cost would be approximately $7,000.00+ and I am furious/frustrated. I have been considering Mexico just because of the cost. Does anybody have any helpful news? I have contacted other hospitals within driving distance. One hospital wanted 6200., another said that they don't do surgeries unless I was their patient or would become their patient (they were the farthest drive at 5 hours), and another office told me they would give me a price, then emailed back and wanted to schedule an office consultation before they quoted a price.

Thanks....

I have Tricare insurance and they covered everything. I was only out a $25 copay. Had I needed the actual band replaced I would have had to go through the entire approval process again, so I got lucky there.

I am beginning to wonder the same thing, seems a lot of them, doesn't it, I have my port replaced tomorrow. Had surgery May 28th... once I was past a fill of 4.5 cc I have had a constant loss... I have AP.

Hi everyone Melly I am glad you posted as well. My suture came loose I was told and I go in to get a port replacement Oct 27th Wednesday. I took off Thursday as well since I can be paid for sick days....I was happy to fine out. My port sticks out so far looks like a tumor...he said he can replace with a smaller one. Plus the suture is loose. The only problem I have is some days I can eat tuna the next i can't and that goes with everything. I might eat too fast still but it's been two years and I still get sick once in a while. UGH

anyway good luck to everyone on your journey. I love my band and it was the best thing I had ever done for muself.:wink2: