Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow fills! Frustrated!

My surgery was on June 15, since then I have had only one fill (aug 9-1.5 ccs). My second is schedule for oct 15....I am feeling very little restriction! As I am reading, it seems people are getting fills every 2-3 weeks, I had to wait 8! I have been doing ok with weight loss but it is by my will power, not the band...Any suggestions on speeding these fills up? I'm feeling very discuraged and see myself slipping back into my old habbits...:biggrin:

weight.png

Ok. My doc is/was conservative too. NOT quite as conservative as yours, but conservative. I asked him about it. (I am curious, I was a nursing student, and the man has the patience of a saint) He said that in his opinion slower fills give the patient time to adjust slowly to the change in eating styles. In his opinion, research indicates faster more aggressive fills can cause problems and mean a less satisfactory band experience. (I cannot quote his research but want to share what he told me, ok?) In his practice, slower fills generally mean more long-term success for his patients, with less complications down the road.

Now, speaking for ME only, I am 13 months out. I can eat about 1 cup of ANY food. ANY. I can eat white bread. I can eat Pasta, dry chicken, well done beef. I do NOT have acid reflux. I can take ALL my pills without crushing them. (and I take some big ones) and I am losing weight well. It took me from 8/29 to May 7 of the next year to reach my "sweet spot" but when I compare how I can eat to other bandsters, when I compare my experience, I am not so unhappy with my doc. Not at all.

I don't mean to imply that everyone who has an issue has it because of a bad doc, fast fills, etc. I am not trying to be judgmental or pissy about anyone. I am just saying what happened to me, with my conservative doc.

I didn't expect speedy weight loss with the band. Regardless of what I've read on here, my doc said an average of 1-2 pounds a week for up to 3 years or so. I'm right on schedule.

Please ask your surgeon why he wants to fill you so slowly. Maybe you could go in every 6 weeks instead of every 8? But just realize that old saying "slow and steady wins the race" can be true, especially in "lap band world". :biggrin:

My primary reason for the band over other WLS was that I thought my mind would need time to accept the changes I would need to make to my eating habits.

The weight is coming off slowly, but the office feels the pace is right for me. I have had 2 fills and 1 scheduled tomorrow. This has been the way I wanted it. The big thing for me is that I don't feel that I'm being denied anything. I can eat bread, beef, chicken, and pizza. I just have to keep in mind that a taste of it is not all of it.

When I get all my fluids in I don't have a problem with hunger. I can't make myself exercise regularly but I am now ready to eat the right protions. Currently a cup is not a problem and it should be half the amount. I am getting this fill tomorrow because I think I am ready for more restriction, I am now ready to give up some of what I'm eating.

Your weight is coming off, and just maybe your doc knows what he's doing. Remember this is just a tool not the magic wand. It will work, bu you must work with it. You have to make changes in your life to get the changes you want.