Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my band done in May. I lose soooo much hair everytime I wash it I just get huge handfulls of hair. I am loosing so much hair that I have started washing my hair only once a week because I cry everytime I wash it. I used to have thick curly hair and consisdered it my best asset....Not anymore...I have been told to take Biotin but keep forgeting. Im going to try rogain for women or men or anything that will bring it back. OH YEAH it seems like the only ones that arent falling out are the half grey ones... I need hair help too.

Edited by vlemus

Yeahhhhh. I started loosing hair three months out (I was banded at the end of March).

I wasn't loosing it in huge clumps or anything, but there was a lot coming out. I'd say about 30% total. I think I'm the only person that noticed though.

I'm right at 6 months post-op and the Hair loss is finally dying down. I still have more come out each day than I used to, but there's definitely less than a month ago, and whew I am relieved!

I think most folks that see hair loss see it between the 3-6 month mark. I'm just glad it's slowing down.

Nothing is going to stop it, but you may consider trying Biotin supplement and/or nioxin Shampoo products. I have nooo idea if either helped or not... but I did both.

I'm at the point now where hair is still coming out but I see new baby hairs sprouting up.

Hope that helps. Try not to stress about it if you can help it.

I was banded October 30, 2008. I started noticing my hair falling out in clumps aound the 4 month mark; especially after I washed it. I tried taking Biotin for about two months, to be honest I didn't notice a difference. I have pretty thick hair so no one but me noticed except for me and the stray hairs that were on my shirt when I went to work.

I am now 10 months out and I can say that the hairloss has definately slowed almost to a stop and I am really glad too.

I can honestly tell you I was freaking out!

I did talk to my doctor and a lot of ther people and they all said that it does get better... your body is going through a huge change and your hormones are changing, so that it is why you are having this happen. It sucks, but it does get better.

Good luck!

Hello - I'm out a little over seven months since surgery. I've noticed my dramatic Hair loss in the last four months. Not in clumps so much as excessive strands..but lots. I've started taking 'hair, skin and nails' Vitamin supplement...can't really notice. It includes Biotin. I can't tell if it's subsided some or I have accepted it. It it still coming out more than let's say a year ago. I've read and heard multiple reasons such as due to anesthesia from surgery, weight loss, vitamin deficiency, etc... Maybe a combination? I do not know. But it has happened. I think it's a side effect. Who knows? I do think supplements have to help so I will continue to use them. Good luck and hang in there...I am probably not adding much value except letting you know it's fairly common?

My surgery was May 29th and I'm losing it. I thought it was slowing down but then this morning when I showered, a ton came out.

I'm not worried - I lost hair after my last pregnancy. It went on for MONTHS but eventually it stopped and I never lost so much that it was noticeable. My hair isn't as full/thick as it was but there is still plenty there.

I was just banded on Monday, and are really nervous about the Hair loss. I read that it is due to Protein deficiency. I am really nervous about that because it has been hard for me to get my Protein Shakes down this week, and even my water....I haven't been hungry at all, and it just seems like after a few sips of anything I feel super full like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner. Is this because of the swelling, will it get better? How much are you supposed to be able to drink at a time? It took me two days to finish a 20oz bottle of Water, so I am nervous about getting dehydrated too.

I was banded 1year, 9 months ago. I did not have any restriction for 7 months and actually gained some weight. Fortunately for the last 10 months I have felt restriction and have been losing - about 10 lbs a month. In the last 2 months I have really noticed Hair loss. I imagine it has been going on for some time, but now it is really noticible. People say it will stop and grow back - but doesn't it usually slow down after the 5th month or so? It has been 1year, 9 months and it is getting worse! I have started taking Biotin, 2000 mcg a day. Should I take a higher dose? Is that safe? I am really afraid to lose more hair. Plus I have 80 more lbs to lose. Will I have any hair left at all by then?

its from not getting enough Protein, u are starving ur body

Not all experts are in agreement about the Protein thing. I am getting more Protein now than I was before the surgery and my hair is coming out.

Some experts hypothesize it's because of hormonal shifts when you lose weight. The reason this resonates with me is because it jives with the post-pregnancy Hair loss that a lot of women experience.

Then there is also hair loss due to stress, too. That one doesn't fit my experience because I'm not feeling much stress.

Many or most will tell you it's protein. I'm not saying that lack of protein DOESN'T have this effect, I'm just saying that plenty of us getting a lot of protein are still losing hair so there must be other reasons and explanations.

I remember reading the hair loss posts on here the first few weeks after my surgery, and thinking that won't happen to me. I convinced myself that it was mass hysteria and not a real thing. But, here I am 4 months after my surgery and, as karma would have it, losing hair more and more each day. And, having thin, baby-fine hair to begin with, it's a little upsetting. But, I'm chosen not to stress too much over it because I see form the threads I've read that it will eventually stop.

But, I am wondering if it's ok for me to touch up my hair color, or would I be taking a chance of exacerbating the Hair loss even more? I have gone to the store to by my hair color 3 times already, and talked myself out of buying it each time. I'm like the Brett Favre of hair dye decisions.

Gotta love the Brett Favre comment!:biggrin:

I use a natural hair color that they sell at Whole Foods that has made a tremendous difference in my hair health over the last couple of years. It is called "Naturcolor", a couple of my friends have started using it too and like it as well. It doesn't damage my hair as much. My hair is longer than it has been since I was a kid!!

I am just 4 weeks out, haven't noticed any loss yet, but we'll see! At my support group meeting the nutritionist gave us a handout about Hair loss and that the amino acid L-lysine may play a part.. something else to throw in the mix of Protein, Biotin, hormones, etc.,etc.

As others have said, it seems to subside.. if it happens to me I will just roll with it..:biggrin:

I have short hair and have experienced Hair loss also. I do color my hair every three weeks with no problem. I asked my hairdresser and she assured me it would be OK. The first time I colored it I was really nervous that I would lose more hair, but I did not notice any difference in the amount of hair I was losing. In fact, the first week after the color my hair looks much fuller and thicker because the hair shaft swells from the color.

Good luck.

I started losing my hair at the three month mark. It was coming out in clumps when I applied Shampoo, conditioner and product or when I combed/brushed it or just even slept. Not to make light of cancer patients, but I felt like a chemotherapy patient. It stopped coming out in such large amounts after a couple of months. The Hair loss was very noticable....in fact, my hairstylist mentioned that my hair's texture has completely changed. The hairs are now growing back. :) I have many Patches of two-inch-long hairs all along my hairline, part and pretty much everywhere. I changed to a shampoo/conditioner that was meant for weak hair. I also took Biotin about three times a week. When I asked my surgeon about the hair loss, he said it was a result of rapid weight loss. He also said the hair WILL grow back.

The funny thing about taking Biotin is that it accelerated the Hair growth on my legs, armpits and bikini area (TMI?). Good times......:tongue2: