Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band while a full time student - possible?

Hello!

I have just completed the Kaiser Options program and am scheduled to meet with the surgeon in a few weeks. I initially wanted to go with the gastric bypass, but am now considering lap band. My problem is that I am starting an intensive full time nursing program next week, and don't know if I will be able to have the surgery and continue school without missing more than a couple days. I don't have the option of putting the surgery off, because with the Kaiser program the surgery has to be completed within 6 months of the finish date. I would like to know if anyone can share their thoughts on the healing and recuperation time that is necessary for the lap band, as well as if there is any brain function lost due to lack of food! Any info would be great!:biggrin:

Hello

I would suggest that you go with what surgery is best for you - not let your schooling decide for you! School can be postponed, your health cannot!

However, that being said, I would say that in your situation, a band would be better as there's less healing to go through. Remember that with a Bypass you'll have had major major surgery, spent some time in Intensive Care and been pretty poorly. With a band there is not a single change to your anatomy, and to be honest, after 10 days I was feeling more or less back to normal.

The "lack of food thing" you speak about - I feel no different - no ligtheadedness etc. I've had my 2nd fill and I'm still not at my sweet spot yet, but I'm getting there and am losing weight slowly. To those that don't know i've had the band, my diet is working well!!!!

After the band the pain was completely tolerable - only 2 or 3 days of taking pain killers, and then rest for a few days. after 10 days I was out walking 3 miles a day and enjoying the rest of my time off work (My GP signed me off work for 3 weeks!!!!! - totally unecessary!)

I am 67 years old, a retired nurse, and was banded on 8/11. I have been very lucky in that I didn't need any pain meds at all and am doing well on my food requirements. The main problem I had in the beginning was the gas and burping...oh, excuse me...belching like a long shoreman is more like it!

If you could schedule your surgery for a Thursday, that would give you four days off from school and by Monday, you should be able to go back. You won't be able to pick up a heavy backpack and it might be tender bending over from the waist but you can work around those problems. Get a rolling luggage rack to carry all those books. Plan ahead for your day in the beginning. Make sure you have plenty of Water, portable Protein shakes (like Muscle Milk or Atkins Advantage shakes from Walmart). Find yourself a good Protein Bar that you can drop in your bag. Get some rest whenever you can during the day even if it's only a moment or two. When you get home, get some rest before tackling your school work.

Tell your instructor about the band but be careful about what friends at school you tell. They will become your worse critics about what your are eating even if it's legal.

Good luck...you can do it.

Edited by LollyMoe
left out word

I am a full time student working tward my comercial pilots license and 2 bachelors degrees. I just had mine done between semesters, we had 2 weeks off. I realy only needed one week to jump back in full force.

You can do what ever you want! just have realistic expectations. The band was right for me, for recovery time, less pain, slower loss to get used to the changes phiscily and mentaly, and the price. But I agree with saffi255 your school schedule can be changed or take a lighter load if you have to, you'll be a batter nurse if you have it done now. You will have to spend a lot of time on your feet and I can tell you now that as an EMT some things like CPR or pushing gurneys can be pretty phisical stuff, a few pounds lighter might make life a little less stressfull.

Good luck

Hey lady...I know exactly what you're going through. I'm getting my doctorate right now and got the surgery a week and a half before school started. As long as you're eating right (not just eating as little as possible because you feel you should), you'll be alright. I have found there is one difference that my nutritionist noted for students (especially if you're working out a lot also) is that we need some extra carbohydrates (the good kind of course). I was getting really foggy, tired, and not losing weight and the nutritionist said it was because I wasn't eating enough calories or carbs. You may have to worry about the lifting stuff a little more if you're already seeing patients but my sister is a nurse and will be having the surgery shortly. She said they're just going to put her on light duty initially. Recovery time is WAY shorter and easier with the band so I def recommend that over gastric but you have to do what works for you. This is a lifetime so you really have to figure out what you can live with forever. GOOD LUCK!

OOOoOO one more thing...I wouldn't put it off because many hospitals are actually making their nurses do health checks to make sure they can keep up with patient's needs. My sister did one at her first hospital and had to do another recently when she started at a new hospital.

You should choose the surgery that works best for you. All of us can only speak of our own experiences, so consider that when you are listening to our advice.

As for me, I chose the band for many reasons. My recovery time was short. I was up and around and feeling like myself after two days. I was banded three months ago and have lost 46 pounds.

I, too, am a full-time doctoral student who is also teaching full-time at a local college. Between family (a husband and two kids), work, and school, I have little time. I do make time, though, to plan my meals for when I'm going to be at work or school. When I pack my kids' lunches the night before, I always pack what I'll need plus a few extra Protein Snacks just in case. I take plenty of Water with me, too. In my desk at work, I keep Protein Bars.

All of this is to say that you can make it work for you, but you will have to do some planning and take time for yourself. I'm now in such a habit of eating well that I don't miss the fast food or the quick, unhealthy vending machine junk that I used to eat.

Good luck making your decision. You'll find good support here.

I'm a bandster of course and I RTW 1/2 days at 2 weeks and feeling fine.. frankly if my days weren't so long I could be full time BUT, I have a desk job and I am assuming you will be doing hoyer lifts and the like? I am on a 20# restriction for 6 weeks. I work out every day, but not released to use my core muscles yet.

There is, however, a girl in my support group that had surg. the same day I did and she was bypass. She is in her last year of nursing and starts back this week or next and she's doing great. We talked at our 2 week post op appts and she, however, unlike me, feels she must wear her belly binder to help.

I would talk to your doctor about it or try to set it for a semester break if you have one... sounds like you have 6 months to play with.

I started my senior year of nursing school just as I was banded. (got my BSN this May. YAY!) Anyway

I weighed 375 and was 53 and made it fine. The hard part is the clinicals; you'll need a little time to recover before you start them (and there is usually a lifting restriction) and of course no driving or clinicals while under the influence of prescription pain meds.

I know here in Texas we can only miss so much clinical time and then they MUST fail us even if we're superstars, so you need to weigh that.

Otherwise you'll probably be fine. I know I was.

Hello!

Thank you all so much for the positive words! I feel so much better about the surgery now that I know that it is possible to work it around my school schedule. I was so worried that I went through the 6 months of Kaiser classes and all of the anticipation for nothing, but now my mind is so much more at ease :(

Thanks again and good luck to all!

Tiffany

All of this info has helped me too. I was banded on Monday and I work full time from 8-5 and then go to school Mon-Thurs from 5:30-8:15 full time as well. I took this week of, but am hoping I will able to jump right into school next week. I usually have to do a lot of walking to classes (take the rail to school) but I think if I drive instead, I can get back to my walking and extra "exercise" the next week. This busy schedule really made my pre-op diet very easy, and I am hoping it will be just helpful now that I am newly banded; especially during the next 2 weeks.

Hey girl, I am a nursing student and got my surgery in May it did take a couple weeks for me to totally heal but with our program u don't do any patient care right in the beginning of the year I think you should have time to heal fully. I also started a job as a CNA about 2 or 3 weeks after my surgery so its doable.

I just started nursing school this month. We don't start clinicals until October. So since this is your first semester, you probably won't start clinicals for a few weeks after school starts. I think you will be fine. I would definetely let your instructor know. Just plan your day ahead and be sure to get plenty of liquids.< /p>